Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathoners August 2008 (Read 585 times)

I figured it was my turn to kick off the new thread, as I am one of those who seems to post the most over here! Smile Yikes, I just looked at the calendar and I am officially 7 weeks from my HM on September 20th. I now literally pray every night before bed that I stay healthy, and make it to the starting line. Training is going well, just still dealing with bitchy knees. I have realized it is just another symptom of increasing mileage, and if I am carefull, I will overcome it the same way I overcame the shin splints. The only thing that makes legs HTFU is to run more and strengthen the muscles. That's my plan, and I am sticking to it! Teresa: Time to start getting those miles built back up huh? How are you fairing these days? I found a really cool little device that I ordered off of Footsmart.com, called a Heel Hugger. It is a neoprene sleeve that fits like a sling around the back of the ankle and has built in gel pads that you freeze before wearing. You can wear it on your run, or wrap your heel after the run for the icing. Check it out, It looks pretty cool. I can't wait to get mine, it shipped yesterday. Are you ramping miles again? How are you feeling? Larry's on Vacation, showing off his manly legs in his short shorts to the world! Surprised You go Boy! Wink Vixi- How's things? Are your knees bitchy too? MrPH: How's the hammies? Last I knew you were sore, and trying stretching things.... I took quite a few pilates classes earlier this year, and we did an awesome hammie stretch with a resistance band. Lay on your back, and one leg at a time, wrap the tube around the middle of your foot, and raise the leg, gently pulling the leg back, griping the tube high up, and take the elbows to the floor at the same time you take the leg back. You will feel it right away, so be carefull! Happy August Everyone, Let's vow to be safe, Stay Cool ( Summer's almost done... Woot! ) and have great Injury Free Runs! Cheffy Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Sorry we are relying on you so much to keep the thread going, Cheffy! Along with many others, I have had mild discomfort in my right knee, nothing major like you guys, but a sign to take it easy. Thus mileage is lower in July than June, but I hope to get it back up in August, which was a very low month last year. On the plus side, I am over 1,000kms compared with only 768 at the end of July last year, so although lazy I am improving! Larry, you have been running really fast recently, well under 8/mile! I know you mentioned it seems to work for you, and it is a very individual sport..I read an article about Ed Whitlock, Canadian 77 year old marathoner of note (world record of 2:54 Tight lippedx at age 73!) who says in the 2 months before a marathon he runs short loops for 3 hours a day, doesn't care about the pace, just the volume. That would drive me crazy! 10 weeks for me till the Goodlife Toronto Half. Hope everyone is feeling good and running well! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for posting, Cheffy! I just ordered the Heel Hugger! I expedited shipping, so it should go out today. I have a gel sleeve that wraps around my ankle, but it will be great to get cold directly on my heel. My heel and/or ankle still bug me. My revised plan is to run my 10K tomorrow, and then increase my long run by a mile each week. Don't know what else to do! Since I'm in this for the long haul, I'm not going to jeopardize my "running career" Wink for one race. Good luck with your knee! I told DH that at least now I don't think about my knees or my breathing!
          Cool Teresa! Maybe we both will enjoy this find!! I have seen alot of stuff for feet issues, and this one just looked like what I needed, as the gel packs are on the inner and outer sides of the ankle which is where my pain resonated. Good Running this Weekend, and Take it easy! NO WILD PR's.... Wink

Prince of Fatness

MrPH: How's the hammies? Last I knew you were sore, and trying stretching things.... I took quite a few pilates classes earlier this year, and we did an awesome hammie stretch with a resistance band. Lay on your back, and one leg at a time, wrap the tube around the middle of your foot, and raise the leg, gently pulling the leg back, griping the tube high up, and take the elbows to the floor at the same time you take the leg back. You will feel it right away, so be carefull!
            Hammies are getting better, thank you. Actually I have mostly abandoned stretching in favor of strengthening exercises, squats and lunges. And here's an exercise that I found very helpful. Lay on your back with your legs bent and your heels on a chair, like you're sitting down but on your back. Lift your rear end off of the floor a couple inches, hold for a second or so, and release. Repeat 10-20 times. You definitely feel the exercise targeting the hamstrings.

Not at it at all. 

Yep, I know how you and I BOTH are about Stretching..... Less is more IMHO. Stuff just starts to hurt when I stretch too much. I am going to have to try that exercise, sounds wonderful. Here's a question: Miles: Highest weekly is 24 so far.... had a step back week ( travel, life in the way) cut to 14, bounced back to 19 week after, and I will finish this week with 23... do you think I will be okay? Run is tomorrow of just 3 miles, and then My long run Sunday is 10.... is this too wild a swing of total miles?

Prince of Fatness

Miles: Highest weekly is 24 so far.... had a step back week ( travel, life in the way) cut to 14, bounced back to 19 week after, and I will finish this week with 23... do you think I will be okay? Run is tomorrow of just 3 miles, and then My long run Sunday is 10.... is this too wild a swing of total miles?
                You should be OK. You've been pretty consistent, so one low week here and there shouldn't be a problem.

Not at it at all. 

Big grin Thanks Buddy! Happy Running this weekend... stay cool.

Getting ready to leave work (an hour or so early, but don't tell anyone) and being the addict that I am, I just had to see the latest threads before I go and miss out for a whole week. Sounds like we're all mending slow but surely. You know I really think one of the issues is not just the increase in miles etc, but the weather as well. Being so hot and humid, maybe we aren't hydrating enoug. Since getting back on my feet, I've been making sure to wear my waterbelt even for a 3M run. Normally I didn't wear it for anything more than 6.5 miles. Don't know if there is any science to it or not, but I'm sticking to it and that's my story. So to all of my friends, here, I wish you good health and good running and I'll even throw in some good weather to you all. Talk to you soon, in the meantime, as Cheffy said, I'm off to show of my legs on the beach. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Ringmaster

Hi, everyone. Yeah, Cheffy, my knees are acting up a little. I think I have 350 or so on the shoes so I think I'm gonna buy a new pair of Brooks and maybe start rotating in a new pair. I can't make myself believe that I can't get more than 350 miles out of any pair of shoes. I liked my Nikes better and specifically went with the Brooks instead hoping to get more mileage out of them, but I can't think of any other reason why my knees would be talking to me now. Lower calf healed very nicely. Took off Friday and didn't do a long run on Saturday b/c I was talked into racing that trail-y 5k. Didn't pr--ran it in 26:26, which was about 8 seconds too slow for it, but I was happy with it because it was run on very narrow dirt-packed trails that made it difficult to pass. One woman kept cutting me off and refusing to let me pass, which was a very strange experience. I've never had anyone do that. Anyway, I was satisfied with how I raced and feel like this is a more accurate representation of me as a runner anyway--my PR was my very first race and I actually walked some during that race. I'm happy with a 26:26. Wink This week I ran my first tempo in prep for my half--six miles at goal half pace, like you all suggested. Actually ended up being right at nine-minute pace. It felt like hard work but nice and rhythmic. I have to remember I have fifteen weeks to work at sustaining that pace over thirteen miles. For now, sustaining that pace for only six would net me a huge 10k PR! Yeah, I'm back to walking first and stretching very minimally about a mile into the run. Sounds like the walking wounded are back on their feet . . . carefully . . . We maybe should do a sticky with everyone's race dates. I'm trying to keep this straight. Cheffy is on September 20. Teresa's is September 21. Simon, is yours on the weekend of October 18? Looks like mine is the latest--November 16.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My 10K race today was wonderful! I will post a race report when I get official results. My ankle, all taped up, did just fine. If you ever get the chance to come to Maine and run the Beach to Beacon, I HIGHLY recommend it. Has to be one of the most fun races ever. Incredible field of elites, beautiful scenery, enthusiastic spectators, and nice runners! I had to cajole my running partner into racing it, but afterwards she asked, "Do we really have to wait another year to run that again??" Smile Smile
                          Hi guys, I don't post very often but I'll chime in... 9 weeks 'till my first HM, finished a 32 mile week with an 11 mile long run, I'm working my way up to a 15-16 miler or 3 hrs. It may be that my HR is finally adjusting to the permanent 100% humidity - I had some runs in the 12s in my goal HR - hopefully when the weather drops back into the 50s and regular humidity I'll get speedier (ha ha). Feeling pretty good after a decent night's sleep. Today I have a 4 miler - I'm going to the gym to deeply stretch my calves - as I'm noticing a little heel pain - must nip that in the bud. This week's goal is 36 miles, 12 mile long run, and a shorter goal pace run on Wed. Looking forward to the B2B race report Teresa! And everyone keep working on those healthy knees. A

Recalculating...

My 10K race today was wonderful! I will post a race report when I get official results. My ankle, all taped up, did just fine. If you ever get the chance to come to Maine and run the Beach to Beacon, I HIGHLY recommend it. Has to be one of the most fun races ever. Incredible field of elites, beautiful scenery, enthusiastic spectators, and nice runners! I had to cajole my running partner into racing it, but afterwards she asked, "Do we really have to wait another year to run that again??" Smile Smile
                            OH TERESA! How very wonderful you had a good race! Big grin Hub has had a love of lighthouses his whole life, and he has been to beautiful Maine. He is SOOOOO envious that you get to run in that kind of weather and scenery daily. We are stuck in the armpit of the South here, where the air stagnates and motivates you to sleep.... sigh. Ran 10 day and did great, although I had to stop and walk once early in the first 2 miles, because my calves were just so tight, I needed to give them a quick stretch.... back at it, and HTFU'd through the humidity and hot sunlight to 10 miles..... Knees are okay.... a bit bitchy, but They will get over it. Good Running! Smile

Just a few quick notes: Teresa, so glad you enjoyed the race, sounds like a lot of fun. Larry, enjoy the week off, we'll be here when you get back. Ayola, your preparation for this race is so thorough and consistent I am sure you will enjoy it and set a great time. Your mileage is building really well, even in this hot weather, you are going to be as well-prepared as anyone can be. Cheffy good work doing 10 in that heat, look after the knees. I did my best weekly total this week, 60kms, or about 37 miles, so pretty happy with that. Looking back on my paper log (notebook I kept last year) I see I did only 55 miles the entire month, though lots of swimmimg and cycling, so I should be well ahead of that this year. Tough run today in 76-78 degree heat, drank 16oz. of water, likely not enough. Public holiday in Canada tomorrow so I'm happy about that! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Today a rest day yesterday 4.5 miles - indoor track - thunderstorms sunday 4 miles - indoor track- thunderstorms Thanks Simon, I'm increasing mileage by 10% per month, but I'm still worrying about putting in enough mileage to feel comfortable during the race ... Wishing everyone <80% humidity a humidity="" a=""></80% humidity a >

Recalculating...