Half Marathon Trainers

So I signed up for this... (Read 20 times)

jeffdonahue

Been wanting to do this for a few years now, but two years ago it fell on a date I couldn't go because of work and last year I was in Europe for the Women's World Cup during it.  But in 2020 the timing works so I'm getting it done.

http://mainlymarathons.com/series-3/new-england/

7 Half Marathons

7 Days

7 States

There will be no racing.  These will all be just to finish and still be able to run another one the next day, etc...  And there will be walking.  I'm just going to have to work on what run/walk pattern works best for me to keep the legs fresh.

Now I need to figure out training for something like this.  My plan currently is to alternate a normal week of mileage which usually looks like this (approximations only):

Mon - 7

Tue - 3

Wed - 8

Thu - 5

Fri - 1

Sat - 3

Sun - 13

Then on alternating weeks I would have a week that looked more like this

Mon - 5

Tue - 5

Wed - 5

Thu - 5

Fri - 5

Sat - 5

Sun - 5

And then build that particular week up to maybe 8 miles per day (9 if I'm feeling it I guess, we'll see how it goes).

Also have a half marathon in march that I will be racing since I have almost three months to get in the above training after that race.

Should be interesting

That looks very difficult! I’ll be interested in hearing how it goes, including the training. I could maybe string together 3. Maybe.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I know a couple who have done the Mainly Marathon series of 7. It's well put together. Smile

I have no idea on training. I struggle to wrap my head around putting myself through one full marathon.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

You may want to message RA runner "Mike E" for his insights -- he did this series a few years ago (2016?), doing the full marathons, he will have all sorts of tips on the travel and stuff.

In past years, they've done the Maine event in Portland, so I've checked it out a few times -- they are very low key events with a pop-up tent setup alongside the loop, a chip mat and that's it.  In talking with 'Mike E' while he ran the Maine event, he said it was like a traveling circus of run, drive, eat, eat while driving, sleep, run again with same people and sprinkle of strangers. Repeat.

Like redrunner notes, I can't imagine making to the line after day 3.  Doing all 7 is very, very rugged. Go for it!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jeffdonahue

Training starts tomorrow!!!  With the Coronavirus cancellation of my HM this last weekend, I can start training for the June HM series a little earlier than I had planned (I would have rested this week and part of next after racing a hard HM, but now I dont have to).

I have essentially broken my training into two alternating cycles of 7 days.

The first cycle consists of 6 "long run" days in a row.  I put the long run in quotes because it starts at six 6 milers in a row and will build up to six 9 milers in a row.  These 6 day stints of running will be followed by a rest day of 1 mile to end the cycle.  I am also calling these cycles instead of weeks because they are starting on Wednesdays and ending on Tuesdays.  I plan to use these similar run days to also work out some sort of run/walk scenario that may work out best for me when doing the 7 HM in a row.   I know I'll have to do some walking if I want to be able to finish them all.  Right now I am looking at a bunch of different options - run 8 walk 2 minutes, run 2-3 songs - walk one song.  Just trying to figure out how much rest my legs will actually need along the way to stay fresh each day.

The alternating cycle will be a little more like my normal training schedules would be.  A mix of longer days and shorter days, hoping to get in one speed session each week (either intervals or tempo) and a long run (which will be on Sundays, followed by a shorter day and then a rest day right before the next cycle begins).

I think this will get me there in decent shape for the series.  It may even be a little on the aggressive side for me, so I will keep an eye out on how I feel each run/cycle to see if I need to adjust it at all.

an amazing likeness

What a great undertaking, Jeff.

Although no experience on my part with anything beyond back-to-back HM (Sat-Sun), I like your idea of building up to having 6 days of 9 milers be 'routine' -- that will be a great base and should let you know the 7 days are just another week...especially if you can use run/walk to make the first 2 or 3 super easy.

mta: let me know if you want any company on the NH or ME courses...could pace or chat while running or ring cowbell.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jeffdonahue

Okay, so it's been a year and obviously this race series was canceled last year as everything was.

But they are open this year and have already held a couple of their series in other parts of the US, so I am hopeful it will still go on.  I have my hotel reservations in, took the time off from work (they changed it this year so it is running Thursday to Wednesday instead of Weekend to Weekend which is actually going to cost me an extra day of vacation) and got the okay from the wife (actually works out well as she will be bringing my daughter to a few colleges that week).

I am 37 days away and training has gone pretty well - a few weeks ago I did miss my "long run" week when I was on college tours with my daughter, but I still got about 40ish miles in that week, so I'm still confident.  This week will be the real test.  I've built up the long run weeks to 9 miles and this week have 10 milers planned (though I'll be happy with anything between 9-10 each day) so we'll see how it goes.

Arnoldziffel

Jeff - this is one amazing challenge.  I cannot imagine running seven halves back to back.  Think I might be able to do two, but I definitely would not hold up for seven.  Hats off to you, and good luck.  Keep us posted on your training.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good luck, Jeff.  I think the key is what you said about running the halves as opposed to racing them.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

jeffdonahue

Training went well last week on this.

My weekly training plans ended up looking more like the following

Regular week -          9-1-9-3-9-3-10

Long Run Week -      5-1-9-9-9-9-9

I did go for 10 milers last week, and got four in a row in (Wed-Sat) but then I got my second vaccine shot of Moderna on Saturday afternoon and had to cut back the last two days (fever, aches, etc... - it's all gone now).

Overall I felt pretty good about the 10 milers.  Day one was no problem.  Day two was really hard though, my legs felt dead and I kind of wondered whether I'd be able to do this series.  But then day 3 and 4 I felt perfectly fine (a little stiff at the end, but overall good).

Less than a month to go.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Jeff - I know the event is seven straight days, but do you plan on taking any rest days during your training before the event?  There are people who don't believe rest days are necessary, though that can depend on how hard the other days are.  I suppose a 1-mile day is pretty close to a rest day.  In any case, it looks like you're well on your way to being ready for this event.  I'm eager to hear how it goes as I've considered similar things in the past but never quite got myself to sign up.

jeffdonahue

I have a run streak that is over 13 years old right now so my rest days are 1 mile.  I have one a week typically - more if I'm not in training.

I will rest though and taper for this so my legs are fresh when I start the series - probably drop my mileage down for the week and a half before the series starts and just run some 1, 3 and 5 mile days for that period.  Keep the legs loose but rested.

Jeff - I know the event is seven straight days, but do you plan on taking any rest days during your training before the event?  There are people who don't believe rest days are necessary, though that can depend on how hard the other days are.  I suppose a 1-mile day is pretty close to a rest day.  In any case, it looks like you're well on your way to being ready for this event.  I'm eager to hear how it goes as I've considered similar things in the past but never quite got myself to sign up.

Arnoldziffel

Hey Jeff -  a 13 year running streak is very impressive.  You are an inspiration!

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

That's quite some streak.  I haven't even been running that long.

jeffdonahue

Thanks.  Started it as a goal to get back in shape - was reading runners world in like October in 2007 and they had a listing of potential running goals for 2008.  One of them was to run at least a mile every day, so I decided to do that - I was running about 20-25 miles a week back then I think and I just decided that on my off days, I'd make those 1 mile days.  Then, after a year I just kept going and pretty soon, once you've put in that much time you are so mentally invested in it that you just don't want it to end.

For me though, I just want it to end on my own terms ( I get to pick the day) and not because of an injury or something else.

That's quite some streak.  I haven't even been running that long.