Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - March 2012 (Read 585 times)

Kicking off March here! Smile

Hope everyone's doing OK - sure sounds like it for most, reading the end of Feb's thread.

Sorry I'm not round much right now - work's crazy, hoping it will settle down soon.

Despite work I was on track for another 100 mile month to keep the streak alive but Feb's running ended disappointingly for me.

When I woke up last Saturday I had a stiff left hip joint but went out for the long run anyway, thinking it would loosen up but it didn't, and after about 2 miles or so I figured I really had something wrong and turned for home.

It's the first time in a long while that I have headed out the door for a particular distance and bailed on it. I am trying to tell myself that it's more mature of me as a runner to have stopped and not made the injury worse but, honestly, it just feels a little "lame" (pun very much intended).

I don't know what I have strained, stretched, pulled or tweaked but it feels like the type of pain you get from a deep bruise. It's located on the side of my left hip, pretty high up, and I feel it most if I am standing on my left leg and pushing my left hip out to the side... which certainly gets some strange looks in the work cafeteria I can tell you! Clown

Anyway, I've not run for a week, I am itching to get out the door but I think it may need a few days, possibly even a week more Sad

Gentle stretches and ice... we'll see how it goes.

Vege's racing this weekend - good luck in the 5k.

Alex did I read your post right from Feb-22; are you really out for 2 months?

Keep trucking y'all - can you believe it's March already?

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Yo! Happy March...spring is coming. Looks like we got our last "winter storm" this week (I hope). Thoughts to all who are dealing with much more serious damage.

Matt - such a bummer. Good thoughts to your hip, and hope you're not out too long.

I had a nice Feb, another all-time mileage high and a nice streak of 50 mile weeks, while getting more speedwork in. So pretty happy with that. This month I hope is fun...a couple more longer long runs to go, then sharpening for April 1. And some of that sharpening will be in Puerto Rico! (vacation). Will have to substitute a green margarita for the traditional Guinness on March 17.

Anyway, good healing to all on the mend, and good racing to all who are lining up. 

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Hope your injury is resolving Matt - I hate not running, and all the back of the mind thoughts of "I should be running, but I don't want to risk a worse injury, maybe I can just...etc..."  Time takes care of it all, and as I just started back up after a 3 week lay off, I feel more determined than before to meet my goals, train hard and smart. 

Today was a nice taste of spring - 50 degrees and a blue sky, but at the end of my run a nasty wind advisory kicked in to let me know winter isn't over yet. March is such fun!

Puerto Rico H2B? Enjoy.

vegefrog

I don't know what I have strained, stretched, pulled or tweaked but it feels like the type of pain you get from a deep bruise. It's located on the side of my left hip, pretty high up, and I feel it most if I am standing on my left leg and pushing my left hip out to the side...

Matt I have that same pain! On my left side too!! It started for me on a 13 miler the weekend before my marathon. I took that week off basically and foam rolled the crap out of it. I am not sure if it's ITB, glutes, bursitis or tendonitis of some hip tendon. I have read so much about what it could be...but I really don't have it narrowed down. I have kept running and it hasn't gotten any worse...I feel it tighten up after about mile 3-4 on any run, but if I stop and stretch out my hip flexors, it seems to ease up and I haven't had to stop any runs yet.  Yikes. Let me know if you figure out what it is and if you do something that gives you relief. I'm just trying to make it to my half marathon in April, after that I am taking a break due to the heat of summer and my mileage will only be around 25 mpw. Gonna focus on swimming and weights and resume higher mileage in the Fall.

My 5K was ok, I was top 20 and 6th woman overall (out of a field of about 150). I got a 24:40, so at least I know that first 24 I ran wasn't a fluke Wink

I really want to run a 23 before April though. Even a 23:59 will do!!!!! I keep going out too fast and basically mile 2 is like a recovery mile, then I pick it up again for the 3rd. I think if I can just race smarter I can reach my goal. I told my husband I'm gonna do a 5K a week until I get it, LOL. Luckily here in the low country it's road race season so I have lots of choices!!

H2Bubbles enjoy your vacation! Destination running is so fun Smile

Alex did I read your post right from Feb-22; are you really out for 2 months?

Unfortunately.  I've taken the last 6 weeks completely off, and the doc recommends that I lie low the next week or two before starting to build up again.  I'm going to follow the Pfitzinger plan recommended here for the first few weeks so I don't overdo it.

When I get back into it I'm hoping to train smarter!  Some things I learned:

• I may need more supportive shoes for my flat/overpronated feet, though I really like the freedom of the Kinvaras Sad
            • I need to train smarter - I handled the extra mileage well, but I think doing ~3 quality workouts a week (including a fartlek, fast-finish, and long run) might've been too much for me while building mileage.  I'm going to stick to 1-2 quality workouts a week and try to substitute more easy mileage going forward.
            • On the bright side, I think I have the potential to improve a lot if I can stay injury free!  In just 2 months of training on higher mileage I saw my mile time drop 10s and my projected 5k time drop 20s from what it was during XC season.  This leads me to believe that doing HM training or just generally trying to hover closer to 30-35mpw could really help in the long run.

It's been exciting reading about how well everyone did in February.  Keep it up! Smile

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Let me know if you figure out what it is and if you do something that gives you relief.

Quick check in from me. 2 weeks no running Cry

I gave up on self treatment of this injury 2 days ago and despite feeling somewhat better, but not great I went to the sports doc for a diagnosis.

Vege, the diagnosis for me is a grade 1 strain of the Gluteus medius muscle

Treatment: A bunch of awkward stretches, twice a day, a weeks worth of NSAIDs (Alleve).

Running verdict: Return to running tomorrow Big grin... but "run within your limits" whatever that means? Confused

I guess it means take it easy, so I will. No 1:50 attempt for me in the next HM.. just try to get round.

Vege + Alex - good lck on the recovery.

Enjoy PR Kevin

Good luck tomorrow vino. Awesome challenge.

2017 Goals

HappyFeat

Thanks for the reminder, Matt -- The very Best of Luck tomorrow to Craig and the twins!!  Hope it goes really well for you. I'll think of you on my own long run in the morning.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good luck everyone on the recoveries. 

Last "long" run for me this morning. Now just 3 weeks to go until race. Heading to Puerto Rico on Thursday. 

Matt when you wrote "Enjoy PR", I thought, "hey, thanks for the vote of confidence"! I'll take it as a sign.

Good luck everyone on the recoveries. 

+1 on that and also enjoying [the] PR.

My running continues to go well, though I feel sort of aimless at this point while I try to figure out my goals for the year. Right now it's looking like SF half in late July and possibly running my first full in the September/October time frame.

vegefrog

Matt I'm glad you got it nailed down...I still don't know exactly what mine is, but it's not bothering me too much so I'm just going with running and rolling Smile  Hope your stretches help. It's good that he said you can keep running, I know that makes you feel better.

Redrunner my friend is running the SF full in July. I watched the course videos, looks beautiful. Will you do the first half or the second? I think it's really neat that you get to choose!!

I'm supposed to be training for my second half marathon right now, which is April 14th...

After I ran my marathon I took a break and I'm having a little trouble staying motivated. Plus this time change has made me sleepy for some reason...I gotta get back on point and stick to my training plan so that I can run fast in April like I want to.

I keep chasing a 23:00 5K...I have done almost one every 2 weeks trying to get it but I keep running 24's. ARGH.

Have one this Thursday and one on the 24th...if I don't get it in either of those it will have to be a goal for next Fall because I don't run fast in the summer it's just way to hot here.

Vino what an awesome accomplishment you and your girls did! I saw the video you posted in "Look what I can do". Great job!!

Vino, congratulations to you and the girls- take some rest, you all deserve it!

Good luck to those who have races coming up.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

First long run in about a year today, 22kms or a little over 13 miles- took 2:10 and a lot of walking.

The heat did make it more difficult but I clearly do not have the stamina I should have.

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend and had great runs!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice job, Simon.

I'm having a really good month. The consistency in running over the winter is starting to show some results. I'm finding faster paces easier. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'm having a really good month. The consistency in running over the winter is starting to show some results. I'm finding faster paces easier. Smile

Meg! Send some of those good vibes South!... and some Common Sense with 'em please!

From a running perspective I'm in a bit of a mess right now.... completely of my own making.

Last weekend, having been given the green light to "run within my limits" with this muscle strain, I was foolish.

I ran 3 miles slow & easy: Mile 1 - I haven't run for 2 weeks at this stage, felt awesome! Mile 2 - All good. Mile 3 - the wheels (legs) come off the wagon. I get home and I am sore... the next morning, I am in pain! Worse than ever. 3 miles was obviously outside my limits!

I have not run all week and here on a Sunday night 1 week after the foolishness, I still do not feel as well as I did last weekend, pre-run.

But enough of such doom-and-gloom! I will get better and I will run my HM in 4 weeks time - slowly if needs be. Onwards! to Recovery!

Happy trails y'all - even though I'm dead jealous! Wink

2017 Goals

Yo! I'm back from Puerto Rico, and seems like spring has sprung in a big way in the northeast U.S.! Hope the temps come down a bit next weekend.

The island was great. Predictably hot and humid, even at 5 and 6 in the morning. Ran a little less than maybe I would have liked, but that was probably a good thing. Views were awesome, some adventures with roving packs of wild dogs in the neighborhoods, but the running was all that I hoped.

Vacation-wise (un-running related) everything was fantastic. Rainforest, old San Juan, beaches, pools. Everything we wanted. Kids were both troopers with all the walking/hiking. Pretty great to see my little 3 year old girl passing grown men huffing and puffing on the rainforest trails. Hilarious.

And finally, if I never see another fried food item again I think I'll be okay.