Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - February 2012 (Read 523 times)

So... those couple of pesky medical procedures turned into a bit of surgery, and now I'm just waiting for the stitches to come out tomorrow so I can get back to running. Funny how you're running along, following your plan, then life happens. Well, all I can do is start again. I hope I haven't lost too much in a 3 week layoff. 

An April half is certainly off the table now, maybe a 10K will do. I'm just grateful to be able to run!!

vegefrog

Hopefully it's just like a nice long taper for you Lakerunner. I'm sure you will get your fitness level back up in no time. 10K's are fun too!!! Smile

HappyFeat

You have a great attitude Lakerunner - hope your recovery continues to go well.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good luck Lakerunner!

I have entered a couple of races for May, and updated the schedule.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks for the support. I'll test out my running form tomorrow on the treadmill cause I can't face the the wind and snow that is howling out there right now. I was reminded tonight that daylight savings time and spring are just 2 and 4 weeks away! Good luck to all running races soon!

vegefrog

Living in the south I try not to take my weather for granted...I look forward to the RARE <40 degree running day, LOL!

Ran a 5K today and afterwards was an oyster roast and beer festival...it was 60 and sunny by a lake...with a bluegrass band playing and we were actually talking about how sorry we felt for our northern running friends who have to battle snow and wind and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Smile

I ran a 25:16, not my best but it was a trail (with roots and all Wink ) and only a week after my marathon...so I'll take it. Race was sponsored solely by local seafood place, local brewery and local running shops...so there were A LOT of fast people there. Top 10 in my age group all ran under 25 minutes!!

It was fun and the oysters were YUMMY!!! Smile I hope everyone who ran this weekend had a great race or run!!

HappyFeat

I had a good strong 12-miler this Saturday, getting my fitness back after my foot and back injuries, happy to say.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Loves the outdoors

I ran my 3rd Half on Sunday and things didn't go as I'd hoped. I did get a PB, just, but I really should have a much faster race in me and I can't work out where I'm going wrong. It's left me a bit dejected and I think I'm going to leave half marathons alone for a while. I've had lots of consistent training, weather was perfect. I do have a mild (very mild) cold, but honestly I'd be shocked if that made a real difference. 

I've got a 10k I can enter on the 11th March, it may be too soon but I want to get something out of all my hard work leading up to this race. I had a good 5k 3 weeks ago where I ran 29:46 on a course that started in soft sand and had something like 5 hairpins and 4 tricky right angles, so I should have a faster than 2:28:18 half in me. 

I've been following Nobby's Running Wizard plan and I can't help but wonder if the long runs are just too short for me to complete a HM well given my slow pace. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

NZ – I’m in no position to evaluate your training plan, but I’ll comment on some of the mental stuff. First, great job on the PR – whether you’re pleased with the result or not, still an improvement and at least something to hang your hat on.

Second, based purely on reading your race reports and some of the log entries, I would humbly suggest that now might be a good time – if you’re willing – to ditch the data for a while. I could be way off, but it reads like the HR stuff – the constant monitoring, the governing – could be holding you back, or worse, making this stuff not fun. I fully understand how HR data can be valuable, but there’s a flip side too. Letting the blips and beeps dictate your effort can be discouraging. It could be freeing just to let that stuff go for a while and just run, and learn that sometimes it’s okay to push a little, and to learn when your mind says it’s okay, even if your heart is beating a little faster.

Anyway, it looks like you’ve been putting in some great work. And at the end of the day, it’s got to be fun. Good luck. I think you’re probably growing more as a runner than you think.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

I ran my 3rd Half on Sunday and things didn't go as I'd hoped. I did get a PB, just, but I really should have a much faster race in me and I can't work out where I'm going wrong. It's left me a bit dejected and I think I'm going to leave half marathons alone for a while.

I've had conversations with long experienced runners (folks who've been serious runners and racers for years..), and they tell me racing back in the day being a case of having 1, and sometimes 2, goal races for the year. That's it. Unlike what many of us do today, they didn't have the option of a bunch of races in the course of a season. As a result, not performing as well as expected was devastating. It sometimes meant a year's training was "lost". Or it sure felt that way.  It stung for a few weeks or months.

An alternative you could consider is to go the opposite from what used to happen as they describe and where you are today. And instead of backing away from 1/2 marathons, NZ, is to go run more with NO goals. No watch. No expectations. Just enter and run the race and see what happens. If you have a good day, great. A not-so-good day, and the worst thing is that it was a good training run with a number pinned on.

Add some trail versions, mix in some 10Ks, whatever you can find that works and then you get a pretty good idea of what is truly a "goal time" -- meaning something you have to train for, and what is a time you can hit on most any day.

You just didn't have the fitness for your goal time on that day in that race. And...by the way...you ran a PR/PB ! 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

I had a good strong 12-miler this Saturday, getting my fitness back after my foot and back injuries, happy to say.

That's good stuff !

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Don't be discouraged, Vegefrog, it's a PB. Try to analyze your training and see where you might have done better, make a few adjustments next cycle and see if that works.

13 kms (8 miles) today, with 4 striders.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Loves the outdoors

Thanks everyone. I'm settling down and it turns out I have an ear infection and sinus pain which came on badly on Monday, so even if it didn't affect my race, I'm using it as an excuse to feel a little better about things.

I am going to sit down and reassess my training etc and see where to go from here. I'm having a few short runs to recover, although to be honest my legs and body feel fine despite my cold and the race. Obviously my training has helped there!  In fact I suspect I need to work on my mental strength in sucking up the discomfort of racing, given how much I picked up during the last 500m of my race. I'm going to do a bunch of 5 and 10kms for the remainder of the year and run a few more faster runs when I feel like it. I may even try a duathlon as it turns out I do pretty well in cycle races off virtually no training.  I am still enjoying my running, so that's the main thing!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

well into long slow strong training on trail at the moment.  have a little goal for easter weekend which I am training for with my kids. will let you know after we give it a bash but it is big lol

refer to my 2012 goals for clue ;-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Loves the outdoors

well into long slow strong training on trail at the moment.  have a little goal for easter weekend which I am training for with my kids. will let you know after we give it a bash but it is big lol

refer to my 2012 goals for clue ;-)

You have lucky kids vino! What a great inspiration you are. What do your girls friends think about all the great things you get up to?