Half Marathon Trainers

Get Back on Track (Read 349 times)

I ran the Inaugural Rock N Roll San Jose HM in October of 06. Since then I have slacked off to just include the running that I MUST maintain for military reasons. I am running the Inaugural Santa Barbara Wine Country HM on May 13 and am killing myself to get back in shape for the distance. Does anyone else torture themselves like this? Or do most stay in shape for long distance running? Just fishing.
      I’m killing myself right now too… I always build up towards a race and then taper a little. I think I’m going to make my breaks smaller from now on though.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did my best to keep my mileage at a minimum of 15-20/week all Winter, even when the weather was god-awful. I'm really glad I did this, as I'm finding that building back up to fitness (I'm over 30 miles/week, now) for a 25k in 3.5 weeks is still pretty challenging--I'm really looking forward to my taper and a week or two of easier mileage after the race. I have 2 HMs that I want to do in the Fall, so this Summer I am determined to maintain at least 25-30 miles/week. I will probably spread it out over 5 days of running, instead of 4, though. So my longest runs won't be so long. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I’ll be honest with you Z-Z, I don’t know how some of you put the distance in. I’ve stepped it up recently (about 20 or so miles a week, swimming, light biking, plus a few other things) and I’m exhausted. I can see running 30 miles a week (because that is what I’m going to do this week), but not much beyond. I really want to run my next HM in about 1:30 though, so I’m willing to put the miles in (and the speed work) to do it. In fact, Namiks and I are running the same HM on Mother’s Day, so I do not have a lot of training time left. (Two and a-half more weeks until I taper…hooray!)
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I am feeling pretty wiped-out at 33 or so miles in the last week. I think if I were not running such a long "long" run and doing the same mileage spread out a bit more that it wouldn't be so bad. I do weight workouts 2x/week and give myself one day of full rest, but I think this Summer I can maintain the mileage and not do any formal rest days, other than a really easy recovery run of just 3-5 miles. Those folks who are cranking out 50 or more miles/week really amaze me. They are machines! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

OK, I'm not killing myself as bad as D is. I'm getting in about 15 or less a week. But that will change next week. Last time I ran a HM I did it in 2:13. And I didn't do things much differently then. I'd like to get sub 2, but some of us aren't built for running like some are. D makes it look easy, even though I know he is busting his rump to get there, he still makes it LOOK easy.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, I'm not killing myself as bad as D is. I'm getting in about 15 or less a week. But that will change next week. Last time I ran a HM I did it in 2:13. And I didn't do things much differently then. I'd like to get sub 2, but some of us aren't built for running like some are.
                My first HM was 2:14:35. My goal was under 2:15...phew, just made it! I also would like to get under 2, but I also suffer from a body that is not built for speed (at least not for long distances--I was an OK sprinter in HS and likely would have been better if we had had any coaches who knew sprinting...my HS had an amazing distance/CC program, but no real training for those of us doing events shorter than the mile). I'm not slim and lightweight, LOL! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

I do not see many interval runs in your training log… Have you thought about running more intervals (or Fartleks/Tempo)? A friend of mine sent me this site: http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/intervals.html I use it to gauge my intervals. We ran some this morning and I felt great afterwards (and I normally hate running intervals).
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not see many interval runs in your training log… Have you thought about running more intervals (or Fartleks/Tempo)?
                    I've only recently starting adding speedwork to my workouts, since I waited until I had been running for a full year before adding that extra stress. Right now I do one speed or hill workout/week, one long, and 2 easier runs. This Summer I will possibly do 2/week, as I hope to run 5x/week, instead of just 4. I have dropped about a half minute off my typical easy pace since adding the speedwork, though. I have a feeling that my next HM (this Sept.) will be a bit faster than the one I did in Oct. k

~ Sarah Kay

That’s great…Although I do not have a lot of experience running (consider myself kind of new to the sport), I think of it like this… Long Runs = Endurance Hills = Power Intervals = Speed Fartlek/Tempo = Speed & Endurance I know I have a lot to learn, but my current schedule feels good (I just need to add in the Long Runs). My big problem with the long run is that I run them too fast sometimes. I try to maintain a 730 to 830 minute mile when I should run a 9 to 10 minute mile for the workout. Every time I slow down, I find I settle back into a faster pace. I have to constantly slow myself so I’m not too sore. I’ve worked on this a lot this month and I’m finding it easier to gauge my pace and adjust as needed. We’ll see in May…