Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - June '08 (Read 643 times)

good luck marsha - you've got a few days yet - i'm sure you'll feel better by the weekend
      Marsha, sorry to hear that you've got a cold, that sucks. Hope you recover enough to get some training in and make the race.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hi Everybody~ finished my " running week" strong by ending at 18.8 miles for the week, a new PR for mileage. Big grin My legs definitely know it. I am going to opt for a repeat week this next week, in order not to ramp up too agressively, I figure I have plenty of time for miles, so I will take it really slow. Still having some pace creep issues, but I have to say that the LSD is killing my calves. They are soooo tight. Weather here has certainly taken a turn for the worst in the heat department. We have highs of 96 every day this week, which has forced me to do the runs at 5:00-6:00AM to get them in while it is in the 70's. I guess the good thing there is that it's done and over really early, leaving the rest of the day for life in general. I am really learning so much about myself in this process. I never thought I would EVER be here, running, enjoying it no less! I am alot tougher than I ever knew I was. I am so inspired everyday by all the good people here, it certainly keeps me going. This week I can finally say " I am a runner". Happy Weekend to all, and Good Running! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Cheffy-- Great job on the mileage this week. I agree the coming heat is awful. This week is a little lighter on mileage for me as I get ready for my 5k tomorrow. Had an awful run today--very slow and tight, likely from the intense strength training yesterday. I skipped my planned cross train and am doing nothing but resting for the next 36 hours or so. Saturday AM I'm back on the LSD bus with an easy 5 miler, recovering from the race the night before. Have a great weekend everyone! MTA--I cannot spell so I had to fix an error or two.

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Congratulations Chefy on the long run, I'm impressed with the 18.8 miles. I haven't run this week since running my HM on Sunday. Not a physical or Mental thing, just a family commitment. My Daughter and her husband are on a cruise and the wife and I are staying at their house to care for the two grandsons 4 & 7. My drive to and from work is now 1 1/2 hrs. and unlike noraml nights for me, I can't get in at 7 or 8 o'clock for dinner, the kids have to eat earlier and I like to spend some quality time with them as well. I'll probably get a quick run in tonight because I'm heading home first to check on the house and not planning on eating with them. So like you Chris, I'm going to have a very light week. And now that I've completed my first HM and not planning another one until Sept, I'll cut back my long runs a little bit, probsably doing a 8.5 one every week which is a nicely laid out course up one side of a river, across the bridge and back down the other side of the river and across the bridge to complete the loop. Planning on working on speed work now so that I can run a sub 7:00 pace in a 5K this year. My best last year as 7:02 on two occassions. I maybe off-line for a few days through the weekend, so everyone have a great weekend.

LPH

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

lph-- sounds like west river drive. Georgeous run, although I can't get there often because of the continual warnings to not run alone there. Have a great weekend!

Chris
              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Good luck with the 5k, Chris, be sure to tell us how it goes. Good runs, Cheffy, keep it up. Question for Larry and Mandy: you guys are both running about 7 minutes per mile for the 5k distance, (terrific speed!), what kind of times do you run for 1 mile or 1 kilometer? Have you ever done a time trial to check? Track or road? Did about 8 miles last night, 4 easy at 9:00/mile, 4 hard tempo at 8:00/mile.( Correct to metric if you wish!) Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mark_v_socal

OK this is my last post before my Half up in Washington state - North Olympic Discovery Bay (Half) Marathon! Target time: 2:00:00 (why not? LOL) In other news, my lower back has started hurting again. I think it's being aggravated any time I ride my motorcycle. I stayed off it for two full weeks hoping it would get better, then went on a fairly short ride bombing around town yesterday after work. Sad I am trying to get in to see my doctor for an MRI. I am 31 years old and in good shape and dammit I'm not selling my bike. OR quitting running/racing. Wish me luck, report coming up on Tues or so when I return to L.A. -Mark

Prince of Fatness

Mark - Good luck. Let us know how it went. lph - I'll go against the grain and tell you to keep your mileage (especially the long run) up if you want to bring your 5K time down. I just ran a PR in a 5 mile race. I ran all miles at a sub 7 minute pace, something I had never done. In fact, the last sub 7 mile I ran anywhere was probably two years ago. I do tempos for speed work, but I attribute the better race times to the fact that I have held a consistent 35-40 mpw base for the last year. The miles don't necessarily make you faster, but they do allow you to hold a faster pace longer, if that makes any sense. I was skeptical of this at first but I've run three races this year and have three PRs, so there must be something to it. My training pace throughout this time has averaged a little over 9 minute miles. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Weather here has certainly taken a turn for the worst in the heat department. We have highs of 96 every day this week, which has forced me to do the runs at 5:00-6:00AM to get them in while it is in the 70's. I guess the good thing there is that it's done and over really early, leaving the rest of the day for life in general. I am really learning so much about myself in this process. I never thought I would EVER be here, running, enjoying it no less! I am alot tougher than I ever knew I was. I am so inspired everyday by all the good people here, it certainly keeps me going. This week I can finally say " I am a runner".
                      Of course you're a runner. This is a good time for a reminder on the heat. You can run in the heat, but you need to make sure you are well hydrated and slow down. I run in the afternoon and when it is real hot my training paces are probably 30 to 60 seconds slower per mile.

Not at it at all. 

Good luck to Mark!! Well after 3 days in bed I went out this morning and did an easy 3 miles. It was 75 and humid. I didn't die, didn't have to stop to cough, sneeze, or blow my nose. Tomorrow is my FIRST HM. It's going to be more of the same weather. I plan on hydrating a lot today. We're driving to Morgantown tonight, staying with my daughter, then getting up for the race in the morning. Wish us luck. Will let you know how it goes. Happy, hydrated runs to you all!!
                        Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                          Of course you're a runner. This is a good time for a reminder on the heat. You can run in the heat, but you need to make sure you are well hydrated and slow down. I run in the afternoon and when it is real hot my training paces are probably 30 to 60 seconds slower per mile.
                          Thanks MrPhinNJ~ Yes, I am using a hydration belt for the first time on my long run planned for Sunday. It's just 7 miles, but the heat here is Gastly right now. It will be about 71 degrees at 5:30 Sunday Morning, and I will make sure to eat properly, and drink plenty of Fluids Saturday and No Alcohol Saturday evening. Planned Training pace will be 12-12.5 minute miles, and light minimalist clothing. I figure If I can run through THIS, I can make it through anything.... still beats running in strong winds... Wink Thanks for looking out for me, as Always! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Last time I did a time trial in the mile or run just a mile was in high school about 1969 or 1970. I didn't run track or CC and only started running 4 years ago (starting my 5th year now) I can tell you on my track work, I've gotten down to 1:32 400M for two sonsecutive laps or a 3:04 800M. Have only done track/speed work a few times this year(all in the past couple of weeks). I'm planning on pushing that a bit more in the coming months to prepare for a 5K in August and in Oct where I plan to beat my 7:02 performance pace from last year.
                            Good luck with the 5k, Chris, be sure to tell us how it goes. Good runs, Cheffy, keep it up. Question for Larry and Mandy: you guys are both running about 7 minutes per mile for the 5k distance, (terrific speed!), what kind of times do you run for 1 mile or 1 kilometer? Have you ever done a time trial to check? Track or road? Did about 8 miles last night, 4 easy at 9:00/mile, 4 hard tempo at 8:00/mile.( Correct to metric if you wish!) Simon.

LPH

Good luck tomorrow, let us know all about it.
                              Good luck to Mark!! Well after 3 days in bed I went out this morning and did an easy 3 miles. It was 75 and humid. I didn't die, didn't have to stop to cough, sneeze, or blow my nose. Tomorrow is my FIRST HM. It's going to be more of the same weather. I plan on hydrating a lot today. We're driving to Morgantown tonight, staying with my daughter, then getting up for the race in the morning. Wish us luck. Will let you know how it goes. Happy, hydrated runs to you all!!

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm feeling sorry for myself, because this morning the doctor told me I have achilles tendonitis. I have to rest for about a week!! I know, it could be worse, and I should just enjoy the time off, right? My HM isn't until late September, so I should be OK. I will have to skip the 5k I signed up for on June 14, though. Off to eat a little chocoloate to cheer up!