Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - June '08 (Read 643 times)

I'm feeling sorry for myself, because this morning the doctor told me I have achilles tendonitis. I have to rest for about a week!! I know, it could be worse, and I should just enjoy the time off, right? My HM isn't until late September, so I should be OK. I will have to skip the 5k I signed up for on June 14, though. Off to eat a little chocoloate to cheer up!
    Oh NO! what were your symptoms? how did you know to go and have it checked out?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Ringmaster

Oh, Teresa, I'm sorry. Yes, chocolate will help. Also remember that a week of rest beats six weeks of it if you let it get too bad. You know, tendinitis is what my ortho told me is what's wrong with my knees, so we can commiserate together as we work past it. I hope your achilles will cooperate and rehabilitate quickly after your forced rest. It's hard to be on the bench. I'll be thinking of you! Cheffy, good job on your mileage. I'm trying to get my runs in early too--it's just too hot otherwise. Hey, of course you're a runner. "Runners run." Big grin Mark I hope you get good news from the MRI. I hear you about not wanting to give up your bike. Let us know what you hear. Hey, good goal for your half. Is it your first? MrPH, your advice is always so good. I'm trying to improve my 5k time as well (though mine is nowhere near Larry's), so I'm glad to hear you say you think keeping mileage up is important (though mine is nowhere near yours), though I was keeping mine up just for fitness (and to be able to eat the way I do!). If the knee holds up, I'd love to get my long runs up to 15 or 16 miles this summer. This is my first summer running and my pace so far is anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds slower than in cooler weather too. I read on the forums that it doesn't affect some people after they've given themselves time to acclimate, but it doesn't seem true for me. Marsha, definitely hydrate lots; let us know how your race goes. I'm cheering for you from here! I'm glued to the beachfront road for now for long runs and staying close to water fountains for even short runs. Those with hydration aids--which ones do you have, and how do you like them? I'm worried about balance and bounce. Is that stupid?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Teresa, Really sorry to hear about your injury. Rest it and don't push too fast or too hard when you start again. In the meantime, can you be doing other things like stretching, light weights (even dumbell curls) etc?
        I'm feeling sorry for myself, because this morning the doctor told me I have achilles tendonitis. I have to rest for about a week!! I know, it could be worse, and I should just enjoy the time off, right? My HM isn't until late September, so I should be OK. I will have to skip the 5k I signed up for on June 14, though. Off to eat a little chocoloate to cheer up!

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Teresa-- sorry to hear about the injury!! You have plenty of time until the HM, so focus on being healthy and you'll be back soon enough. Chris

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

A few people wished me luck on my 5K and this is how it went (although I know longer races are more my speed, as my 5 miler today felt better by far than the 5K). My warmup was crappy and I had been a bit sick all day, but was hoping to loosen up in the heat and humidity. I set myself up at the back of the pack, had a nice chat with a gentleman and his son (13yo doing his first 5k), and then the race started. The back of the pack was a bit chaotic, so the first mile took some time to be able to run at a comfortable pace, and the next mile went well. It was a bit hot, but I didn't want to drink (I had a bit of cramping in my stomach and I had been a bit off all day). By mile 3, the heat had started to get to me and I had some bad cramping in my stomach. A volunteer shouted out that we were on a 30 minute mile pace, so I decided to HTFU and pushed through the stomach issues. When I rounded the corner and saw the clock was at 29:35, I pushed to the end of the race and entered the chute at 29:58 (official time). Good race, but my 5 miler today wasn't that much slower a pace (10:31 average I think) and a lot more fun.

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job on the PR, Chris! I think I will be like you, better at 5 miles than 5k, because my pace doesn't change that much! Vixi, I know you're right! I hope your knees get better quickly, also. Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. Cheffy, my ankle hurt every time I landed on it during the last couple of miles of my run on Thursday. Then when I got home, I couldn't walk without limping. It was the BACK of my ankle, so I guessed it was the achilles. It really wasn't terribly painful, but I've learned enough on RA that I knew I should get it checked out. It was just different from being sore after a long run. Larry, I'm going to my regular Y class on Monday, if the regular teacher is back, and we'll do stretching and strength stuff. I will just skip the lunges or other exercises involving the ankle. I may also try pool running, because the doctor mentioned it. DS15 had his state meet today. His 4x800 relay team won the championship in 8:15, and he came in 2nd in the 3200 (two mile). He came in "only" 6th in the 1600 (mile), but he got a PR of 4:32, so he was very happy. His relay team will go to New Englands next week, which will be tough because it's the weekend before finals. It was fun seeing him race, and then driving home and having him chatter away the entire time. Larry, we will be out of town the weekend of Junior Olympics, but I think I will ask his coach about it for next year, when he's a junior. Off to make supper for the hungry crew and watch my son smile! Big grin
                Happy New Running Week! Today was another 7 mile long run for me, in the hottest (even at 5:45am) run yet. I wore a single bottle hydration belt, with a 50/50 mix of sports drink/Water and drank twice in the 7 miles. I was absolutely SOAKED TO THE BONES when I was done, but ran really really well. Electrolyte beverage seems to really help ease the tight muscles during the run. Pace was averaged at about 11:30 according to my Garmie, and I felt Great afterward. DH and I went for a Protein shake, and Coffee at the Coffee House across the street from the Business park where we do our long runs. Relaxed, stopped at the grocery and back home by 9:00am. LOVE to run so early! so much more of a day this way.... Teresa, I certainly am sending you Healing Vibes for your tootsie.... Get back out there girl! Hope you are in good spirits today, and sounds like your kids accomplishments keep your spirits soaring. Wink In for another week of miserable heat and absolutely nasty humidity. Hope everyone has great runs this week and stays Cool! Cool

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

OK, here it is....my first HM race report!!! I was not ready!! I was not ready to be sick in bed for 3 days of race week. I was not ready for 90 degrees and humid. Seriously...I thought I was ready. The race is billed as "WV's fastest HM" because it drops 800 feet over 10 miles. There were no uphills, but the drop was so gradual. The first 10 miles I was there, it was hot, but I was drinking at every water stop, pouring the last inch of every water cup on my head. But I was in a pace, joking with the policeman, talking with other racers, thinking "ok, the last 3 miles is like a run through town after work, you've got this". Here's the thing. The trail itself was crushed limestone and you ran in and out of shade and there was an occasional light breeze. The creek it followed was beautiful with waterfalls and babbling just in earshot at all times. THEN you hit town, the trail became asphalt and was surrounded by buildings instead of trees/water. The sun was intense, the heat rising off the asphalt was brutal. I was watching those ahead of me and followed them when we ran in the shade of a building (the shade was about 2 ft wide, lol). There was a nursery that had 2 hoses stuck in their chain-link fence that you could run through and one man standing with his garden hose who was happy to spray me from my head down my back. That last 3 miles was like a death march. It was run, walk, run, walk, walk, walk, run....you get the picture. Up until the last 3 miles my miles had been anywhere from 10:38 to 12:02. I finished as strongly as I could with my daughter and running partner yelling at the finish line. My original goal had been < 2:30. my friend did it in 2:31 and my time was 2:41:39. i was not last (although they were given a red caboose!!). i was not last in my age group. i guess now i have a time to beat. some things i wish i had done, other than be healthy that week, was to take something i could wet and wear around my neck, like a bandana. i'm not a hat girl, they seem to hold the heat, but something to keep the sun off my face, like a visor, might have been okay. i wish i had frozen a bottle of gatorade to keep with me, because later, the 2 miles between water stops seemed forever. the next day, calves kinda tight, but thought "if i wanted to, i bet i could run one or two miles". so i have my first hm under my belt with lessons learned. it wasn't the time i wanted but i'm pretty happy!! here's to a recovery week and happy running to you all!! 2:30.="" my="" friend="" did="" it="" in="" 2:31="" and="" my="" time="" was="" 2:41:39.="" i="" was="" not="" last="" (although="" they="" were="" given="" a="" red="" caboose!!).="" i="" was="" not="" last="" in="" my="" age="" group.="" i="" guess="" now="" i="" have="" a="" time="" to="" beat.="" some="" things="" i="" wish="" i="" had="" done,="" other="" than="" be="" healthy="" that="" week,="" was="" to="" take="" something="" i="" could="" wet="" and="" wear="" around="" my="" neck,="" like="" a="" bandana.="" i'm="" not="" a="" hat="" girl,="" they="" seem="" to="" hold="" the="" heat,="" but="" something="" to="" keep="" the="" sun="" off="" my="" face,="" like="" a="" visor,="" might="" have="" been="" okay.="" i="" wish="" i="" had="" frozen="" a="" bottle="" of="" gatorade="" to="" keep="" with="" me,="" because="" later,="" the="" 2="" miles="" between="" water="" stops="" seemed="" forever.="" the="" next="" day,="" calves="" kinda="" tight,="" but="" thought="" "if="" i="" wanted="" to,="" i="" bet="" i="" could="" run="" one="" or="" two="" miles".="" so="" i="" have="" my="" first="" hm="" under="" my="" belt="" with="" lessons="" learned.="" it="" wasn't="" the="" time="" i="" wanted="" but="" i'm="" pretty="" happy!!="" here's="" to="" a="" recovery="" week="" and="" happy="" running="" to="" you=""></ 2:30. my friend did it in 2:31 and my time was 2:41:39. i was not last (although they were given a red caboose!!). i was not last in my age group. i guess now i have a time to beat. some things i wish i had done, other than be healthy that week, was to take something i could wet and wear around my neck, like a bandana. i'm not a hat girl, they seem to hold the heat, but something to keep the sun off my face, like a visor, might have been okay. i wish i had frozen a bottle of gatorade to keep with me, because later, the 2 miles between water stops seemed forever. the next day, calves kinda tight, but thought "if i wanted to, i bet i could run one or two miles". so i have my first hm under my belt with lessons learned. it wasn't the time i wanted but i'm pretty happy!! here's to a recovery week and happy running to you all!!>
                  Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                    Chris, Congratulations on pushing through and finishing your 5K. Other than nerves, I've been fortunate to never have stomach problems before/during or after a race. Teresa, Congratulations to your son. I know what an accomplishment it is for him to compete at that level and do well. At this point, he's a little ahead of where my son was, but his main focus in HS was the 5K until his SR year. Marsha, Congratulations on finishing your first HM. Sounds like the ending was really brutal. Don't you just love the people wiht the hoses helping to cool off? That's what surprised me on my HM (June 1st), that there wasn't anyone out with hoses/sprinklers etc. At one water station around the 11.5 mile mark, there were two kids with super soaker water guns, but I didn't see them spraying anyone until I invited them to spray me and they seemed to be excited that someone asked for it. Felt damn good to.

LPH

Well weather certainly has taken a turn here in CT, as well as other places I'm sure. Weather is super hot and humid for this time of the year. I had a real light week on running last week as we were staying at our daughters watching the grand children. I ran 5 miles on Thursday and Friday, didn't run on Sat and went out for a run last evening. I was planning on doing three laps around a 5K course. I have to report, that I totally wimped out. I actually had to walk going up a short hill just over a mile into the course and was just dying the rest of the way. I ended up only doing 3.2 miles and was totally wiped out. Definitely my worst run of the year. I've been off schedule for my training routine for the past couple of weeks and now for last week, my total mileage was half of what I've been running. So I'm through with a lot of the family stuff and race stuff (except I have a mid-week 5K next week), so back to my regular training, which is Monday and Friday off and cut back my long run on Sundays a little bit but add in some speedwork to get ready for my 5Ks and 5Ms. June should be a light race month now for the rest of the month. I think other than my 5K next week, I don't have anything else planned for the month and only have one 5K scheduled for July on 4th of July weekend. Then 2 or 3 planned a month after that including some 10Ks and another HM. Stay cool everyone (or as cool as possible) Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Marsha ... You weren't too far off of your goal despite the bad luck you had. Nice job. I'm stuck in the same heat wave as Larry. High temps are in the mid to upper 90's. I got a 12 miler in yesterday. I never would have made it had I not slowed way down. I ran almost a full minute slower per mile than my normal long run pace. After tomorrow it's supposed to be back to normal temps.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

Hey, Larry, my sister in CT was just telling me how hot it is up there . . . she's in Avon. I guess it just hit all of a sudden. She was looking for sweatshirts last week. It's been infernal here for a while so we've had more time to get used to it. I'm sorry the misery is finidng its way north . . . Marsha, I hope you're proud of yourself for gutting your way through difficult conditions, both health-wise and weather-wise. You weren't far off from your goal time, and that's being sick! I'm glad there were people there to hose you down. When I ran my half in Ft Lauderdale it was 70 at the 6am start, and no one was out there hosing us down--what's up with that? Smile Anyway, congrats on a good race. You got pics of your bling? Did 12 on Saturday. When the heat first arrived in FL I started taking lots (and lots) of walk breaks, but I'm taking less now. My pace is still slower, but running. Knee pain still shows up like clockwork at mile 8. Gotta start doing the leg strengthening exercises the ortho suggested more regularly and get past this tendinitis. Hard to get up to run on Mondays. Did 6 tempo miles on the dreadmill instead. Happy running week, everyone!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Well Vixi, Your Sister and I are almost neighbors, I'm a couple of towns further west from her called Barkhamsted. Depending on where she is in Avon, she could be less than 20 minutes from me. She wasn't kidding about just needing sweatshirt or warmups, then bang we got hit with this heat wave. I mean it was warm for my HM on June 1, but the temp and humidity wasn't bad, just a real strong sun. You need to take care of that knee and follow the exercises that the Dr gave you. He probably gave you exercises to build up the muscles in the surrounding area which helps support the knee and keep everything in place better. You can do them at night in front of the TV, so no excuses about not having time.....
                            Hey, Larry, my sister in CT was just telling me how hot it is up there . . . she's in Avon. I guess it just hit all of a sudden. She was looking for sweatshirts last week. It's been infernal here for a while so we've had more time to get used to it. I'm sorry the misery is finidng its way north . . .

LPH

mark_v_socal

Thanks for the kind words folks! I was completely wrong about the hills on my HM ... it was hilly for sure! There was one that I got to the top of and let out a "holy s**t!" Still, somehow managed to run really hard and pulled out a new PR: 2:05:30, a full 3 minutes faster than my last PR!! I am very satisfied with the results. It was a beautiful course, ran through some awesome forest and coastal areas. I'll have to DEVELOP some pictures as I forgot to bring our little digital and had to buy a disposable to bring along! More later. Very tired from travelling back today.

Prince of Fatness

Nice job, Mark.

Not at it at all.