Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - June '08 (Read 643 times)

Well done to all the racers, Marsha, Chris and Mark! After a few days of Florida-like weather I have great respect for Vixi and any other southern runners, man, that is HARD. Luckily had a cooler day today and got in a nice run, 8km warmup, 5k hard tempo in 23:37 followed by 2 minutes rest then 2.5 kms at a slow jog, total 1:25:14. On Sunday when it was 90 degrees F I could not complete my long run and stopped after a slow 16k, so this was a relief. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mark_v_socal

I have found that heat and humidity are the #1 factors in how hard I have to work to achieve a distance or time goal. For instance, despite running at a much slower pace, when it's hot out my average heart rate is 10 to 15 BPM higher than if I were to run the equivalent distance during cooler weather. When I finished the Honolulu Marathon in Dec. 2006, I was in really bad shape. I think it was due to the heat and humidity for sure. My heart goes out to the southern runners as well! Good job guys, run early and drink a lot!
        My heart goes out to the southern runners as well! Good job guys, run early and drink a lot!
        Thanks Mark~ BRUTAL conditions here for the Last week solid. We were over 100 degrees for a few days last week, and If not for hauling my sleepy butt out of bed at 5:00am every day, the training runs would not have happened. I don't know how anyone runs in the middle of the day, or evening for that matter..... My Newbieness is being put to the test for sure! I learned how to HTFU pretty early in the game I think! Black eye Good Running~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I'm with Sandy, if I didn't run at 4:00 am I don't think I would be able to get my runs in during the week. Even on weekends I try to be out the door by 6:00. This past weekend, when the heat index was over 100, I saw numerous people running through my neighborhood at the peak of the afternoon. I don't know how or why someone would do that unless they were going for a very short run Confused

Prince of Fatness

I run after work during the week. Well, I had an easy run scheduled for Monday and it was in the upper 90's when I went out. There is a reservoir nearby that has lots of shady trails, so I went there instead. It was rough, but I took it easy and got in almost 6 miles. I would have melted on the asphalt. Picking shady routes makes a big difference in the heat.

Not at it at all. 

I haven't been posting here lately, but I'm still moving along. Last Saturday I ran my longest distance to date...7 miles. I know by September I can do my half if I just stick with it---and I will!
              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm with Sandy, if I didn't run at 4:00 am I don't think I would be able to get my runs in during the week. Even on weekends I try to be out the door by 6:00. This past weekend, when the heat index was over 100, I saw numerous people running through my neighborhood at the peak of the afternoon. I don't know how or why someone would do that unless they were going for a very short run Confused
                4:00 am is impressive, but I know what you mean. If I don't get it in before work, a lot of runs wouldn't happen. I was one of those lunatics after work on Tuesday (stomach issues in the am kept me from running), and I still don't know how I did it. MrPHinNJ is very right about the choice of locale being critical--the shady trail I did two miles on was much better than the two miles on asphalt. Congratulations waytogomom!

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Ringmaster

Congrats, waytogomom! You're right, you've got lots of time before September, and you'll be in great shape. Hmmmm Shady trails. Gotta find me some. Hey, I've got a shoe wear question for you more experienced runners. What do you all think? I thought I'd worn out my Nike Structure Triax at 260 miles b/c I was having shin pain and knee issues. Now doc says I have patellar tendinitis, so that's where the knee pain was coming from, but I'm too scared to go back to those shoes (I got some Brooks Adrenalines that are okay, but I liked the Nikes better).Did I blame the shoes for mechanical problems? Are Nikes notorious for low mileage? Should I start rotating them back in for short runs? Any thoughts?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Vixi, my shoes have 300 miles on them, and after my doctor diagnosed me with achilles tendonitis, he said I should toss them. I figure, better safe than sorry! I was already rotating them, too. Kind of frustrating!
                      Vizi I was looking at your log & noticed that you run on a treadmill 1 or 2 times per week. You should put the incline at 1 or 2% that takes a lot of pressure off the patellar tendon. Also if you run hills often use your quads & flex your knees on impact when going downhill. If problems continue try a patella strap, I know several people who swear by them. After 20 years of running I still can't figure out shoes, they change too often. I just saw you're in Florida, I guess downhill can't be the problem. Roll eyes Good luck

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Fathers day present - What a wonderful gift for Father's day. My youngest son (24) who inspired me to run, called and asked if I'd like to go on a run with him today. Although we have run a number of road races together, we have never just gone on a run together before, mostly because he was such an elite runner and I was quite a bit slower. His only condition, was that I don't plan on one of my long runs, because he said he wouldn't be able to keep up. What a compliment. So we're going to go do a 6.5 miler together. Happy Fathers day to everyone. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Oh Larry, What a nice Post, and Happy Father's Day to All our Running Dad's! Yes Sound's like your special day was off to a very good start, and I hope your Run was a little slice of heaven. Today marked my longest run to date at 8 miles! Woo Hoo! It was muggier than all get out when we started around 6:15AM, so the sticky skin and air of jello started right away. I just stayed focused, had some nice running music on the Ipod, and enjoyed the run. Even got to see a few deer on my route, seeking morning snacks.... Very Cool. My legs know I did 8, but I love this kind of feeling. Guess you could say I am truly addicted.... Wink Happy Running to all, and have a Wonderful Week! Smile

Hey Cheffy, thanks. I had a great run with my son, what a nice present for Fathers day. Running has definitely brough my youngest and I closer together and gives us something special to share. It was a great morning to run and having company made it all so special. Congratulations on you new long run. Up to this year, the longest I had ever run was 6.5. Now all of a sudden I have a half marathon under my belt. Never had a desire to run a HM before until a friend at work got me interested by sending me a link to the Napa HM in July. She knew we like wine and go to Napa, so she thought I'd like it. I did, and it was going to be my first half marathon, but things weren't working out for the trip so I canned that one and set my target for the HM I did on June 1st. It was probably a little early for me, but I was able to step up to the challenge and the training and do it So in rechecking out your profile, what's your specialty dish, every chef has a specialty right? What is your wine choice? Ever been to Napa? The wife and I go about every two years, it's a great place to visit and partake.
                            Oh Larry, What a nice Post, and Happy Father's Day to All our Running Dad's! Yes Sound's like your special day was off to a very good start, and I hope your Run was a little slice of heaven. Today marked my longest run to date at 8 miles! Woo Hoo! It was muggier than all get out when we started around 6:15AM, so the sticky skin and air of jello started right away. I just stayed focused, had some nice running music on the Ipod, and enjoyed the run. Even got to see a few deer on my route, seeking morning snacks.... Very Cool. My legs know I did 8, but I love this kind of feeling. Guess you could say I am truly addicted.... Wink Happy Running to all, and have a Wonderful Week! Smile

LPH

Hey Larry, YUP.... LOVE Napa, and have been there twice. Once for business, and honeymooned there 2 years ago. I have a good many contacts in the Wine Industry, and had them put us up out there mostly free of charge. I think Napa and Sonoma are quite possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. There is just a different lifestyle and speed there... ya know? How lucky for you that you got to RUN there...... You BUM! Wink Favorite Dish: Don't have one, as many Chef's would concur. I do have a great passion for fresh produce, and simple rustic cooking though. Love to make my own marinara during the summer with the tomatoes and basil growing in my garden. I love a crisp green salad with a delightful glass of something white and nicely chilled such as a great Sauvignon blanc. Favorite Wine: Hard to choose. In summer, I love a good light style Chianti or Pinot Noir, if I am having a hearty BBQ, I love Zinfandel. In Winter I gravitate toward Hearty bold Cabs, and a creamy carmely Chardonnay..... Why am i suddenly hungry and craving wine? Wink

Sorry Chefy, but you misunderstood me. I didn't get to run there. I was planning on going out in late July, but decided that the cost was a little high. Also, when I looked at the course, they started in south napa, ran south , then west, then north to Sonoma downtown. It wasn't really through the heart of Napa as it was billed. So I decided, that I'd wait until the next we go and run on my own up through the main drag and past all of those fine wineries. We had a combination of steak and lobster for Father's day yesterday, so the wine were tought choices. We ended up selecting a Sterling white and a sterling cab (A reserve). We belong to the sterling wine club and so we usually have a number in our wine rack. Although one of our favorites, we do enjoy many others (Charles Krug, Mondavi, and so many little places) as well, but many of them can't ship to CT, which is why we went with the Sterling wine club. you ever hear of a wine called Bad Boys? Have you been to Sterling before? Isn't the gondola ride up and down spectacular in nice weather? Last year, when we were out there, we finally made time in our schedule to do the wine train. We selected the glass top dining car. Food was pretty good, great presentation, but we were disappointed that they didn't do any type of wine paring with the food. We think they made a huge mistake in doing that. Also, there was no narrative/guide giving any information out about the wineries, vineyards or anything. Fortunately, we had a map with us so we at least knew what was coming up.
                                Hey Larry, YUP.... LOVE Napa, and have been there twice. Once for business, and honeymooned there 2 years ago. I have a good many contacts in the Wine Industry, and had them put us up out there mostly free of charge. I think Napa and Sonoma are quite possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. There is just a different lifestyle and speed there... ya know? How lucky for you that you got to RUN there...... You BUM! Wink

LPH