Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - October 2009 (Read 889 times)

Okay, so I thought I'd get a thread going.

Looked around and don't see any HMs in the next couple of weeks to run other than the Hartford Marathon and HM.

Don't want to get caught up in 10,000 or so people so not going to do that. 

So more than likely there will be no more HMs for me this year. 

Have a 5K this weekend which I was hoping to go and PR at.  Rigth now the weather focast isn't too great and if it's miserable like last weekend, might just skip it.  Other than that, no other races planned until a 10K on Thanksgiving day.  Will be in FL 10/12 - 10/21 and told the wife, I was going to cut back training and just enjoy our time together (it's kind of a 35 year anniversary trip which we are tying into our God daughters wedding)  Will run some days, but not on a regular schedule. 

I had a really great 5M run tonight. My 1st mile is usually 8:00-8:10, but tonight I decided to go out fasted and then at the beginning of each mile to fartlek for a 1/4 mile.  Ended up running a 7:10 pace with each mile getting progressively faster.  Gives me encouragement to chase that 5K PR on Sunday.

My times tonight were: M1 7:38,  M2  7:11,  M3  7:01,  M4  6:57, and M5 6:48. 

The last three miles alone put me just about at that PR Pace

I'm just in that groove at the moment physically and mentally.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

an amazing likeness

Seacoast Half (Portsmouth NH) on Nov 8th.  Hope to have enough supporting miles to lay down a HM PR, or close to it and use the time to get a coral time for the Indy Mini next May (kiss the bricks baby, kissing the bricks!). 

Oh, and I think I may also get to witness the MrPHinNJ and LTrain showdown happening way up in front of me !!!

mta:  (Forehead slap) Forgot about the ME Marathon half, this Sunday morning....using this as a training run for the 12 miler in my training plan, running with a co-worker who is doing her first half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hi folks, I'm new to the group (Larry encouraged me to join) and I just wanted to say howdy!

I don't have a HM planned until early December but after a disastrous 20k (report here) I am making a few of the suggested changes to my training schedule;

Starting this week I'm adding a 5th run, a tempo run,  to my routine. This has lead to a weird week of more, slightly shorter runs so that my mileage doesn't jump too much. Then I'm going to ramp up my weekly distance from under 25 mpw to over 30 mpw.

I loged more miles in September than any month before - 108 miles.

I would love to go under 2:00:00 at the end of the year but will settle for slower if I can get around without having to slow to a walk.

Look forward to learning a bunch from you all by reading the posts in this group.

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

After two halfs in September (Erie 9/12 -- PR 1:46:39 and akron 9/26 --- MP training 1:52:22) all done and moving on to October 18th Marathon. 

Hope the 2 Halfs within 13 days pays off.

May run another half in November if feel like I could signifigatntly lower PR.  One of the last few big races left in Ohio and love racing in cold weather, but slim pickings for races of any distance dec - feb, not too mention distance races.  either the half or focus on the few 5k / 5miler racesto break things up.

For sure planning a Half for 2/14 in Columbus at The Last Chance marathon (Gimic race on 1 mile / flat loop and only people who show up are either attempting BQ and or a big PR).  Hope to be Sub 1:40 by then.

Good Luck in any upcoming races.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Seacoast Half (Portsmouth NH) on Nov 8th.  Hope to have enough supporting miles to lay down a HM PR, or close to it and use the time to get a coral time for the Indy Mini next May (kiss the bricks baby, kissing the bricks!). 

So what's you PR goal?

Let us know what happens with the showwdown.

LPH

an amazing likeness

Oh...I guess goal will really depend on how I recover from planned marathon on 10/18 leading into Seacoast on 11/8.

Would be happy with anything in the 1:3x, let's say 1:35 - 1:38, probably aim for even 7:30 mile splits...as a guess right now.

mta: fix up some things because the software thinks xx: xx (without the space) is one of the emoticons.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jules2

Been busy lately and also working in an area with no internet access.

The season is drawing to a close so we don't have many races left. Good luck to all of you that still have a half to run this year.

I have just one half on the 11th its fairly flat but a bit of an uphill drag for the last couple of miles.  I'm  cycling over, running then cycling back as I'm sweep bike for the full marathon, hope it isn't raining.

Had hoped to go sub 1:30:00 but we will see, I managed 1:09:30 for a hilly 10 miler the other week.

Training has been picking up but had a cold up this week so haven't run at all.

Last Saturday did a 20 mile fell race, big uphill at the start and lots of sections where you had to step from rock to rock plus the odd bog.  I should imagine there was less than a mile on road.  Oddly my legs felt better than after a road run I assume because my feet were constantly landing at different angles.  Had problems getting down stairs or kneeling for a few days afterwards.

I finished in 3:37:00 but the results are not out yet.  Because of the problems I've had with my legs I've assumed I can never do a full marathon but the fell race ( the longest I've run in 30 years ) has given me hope for 2010.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Jules!  That race sounds really tough.  I'm not even good at hiking in those kinds of conditions!  I hope the marathon works out for you.

Welcome, Matt!

I would be interested to know how old you are and how long you have been running, if that's not too nosy!

Buckeye you look different....

September went well for me, not great miles (under 150) but a lot at a good pace, so I am building confidence. now that its cooler some of my speed seems to be coming back to me, such as it is. I plan to run intervals tonight, which will be a good test.

Nice 10 miler, Jules, hope your legs feel better soon. Larry, I am sure you will get a new PR at the 5k- you ran 4 of those miles at under 7mm average!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Buckeye you look different....

Saw an Honk Kong Fuey avatar and got me thinking a a childwood avatar ....

Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot.   Best Show ever but looking at screen shots now the robot does not look quite as tough as I remembered.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Prince of Fatness

Oh...I guess goal will really depend on how I recover from planned marathon on 10/18 leading into Seacoast on 11/8.

Would be happy with anything in the 1:3x, let's say 1:35 - 1:38, probably aim for even 7:30 mile splits...as a guess right now.

If that's your goal you won't be that far behind us, if at all.  I'm hoping to come in around 1:35 - 1:37.

Oh, and I'll have a few beers on ice in the car that I'll need help with after the race.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

Ah, I just hang out here hoping to get faster by osmosis.

Hi, Matt.

Yes, Buckeye, you look different. But very handsome!

Jules, fabulous race! Hey, after 20 miles, those last 6 are a breeze, right? I'm telling myself that now--that the only reason those last 6 hurt so much last time was because I ran them in a pouring, driving rain. Who was it that said you have to forget the last marathon before you try it again?

16 tomorrow, as my half training season starts to overlap with marathon season. I was supposed to be running the new Women's Half in St Petersburg, just across our lovely state, but now I'm balking at spending $90 on a half. I might do the race I PR'ed at last year instead, which is in Fort Lauderdale the week before. Though at this point, I need every day of training I can get; I'm woefully slow  . . . those races are at the end of November.

Took the 5yo in for allergy testing in today and you wouldn't believe a kid could be so allergic. The nurse said she almost wanted to take pictures to use her to train new allergy nurses. Foods she eats all the time it turns out she's allergic too. Good to know! Appt with the dr next Friday.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Hi All - thanks for the welcome.

SimonR - I am 33, I started running 2 years ago when spending time with the kids became a priority over rugby practice.

That said, I became a born again R(A)unner when I discovered this site and everything I was doing wrong in mid April this year.

Didn't realise that my profile was not public until you posted that. It should be good now.

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Hi folks, I'm new to the group (Larry encouraged me to join) and I just wanted to say howdy!

I don't have a HM planned until early December but after a disastrous 20k (report here) I am making a few of the suggested changes to my training schedule;

Starting this week I'm adding a 5th run, a tempo run,  to my routine. This has lead to a weird week of more, slightly shorter runs so that my mileage doesn't jump too much. Then I'm going to ramp up my weekly distance from under 25 mpw to over 30 mpw.

I loged more miles in September than any month before - 108 miles.

I would love to go under 2:00:00 at the end of the year but will settle for slower if I can get around without having to slow to a walk.

Look forward to learning a bunch from you all by reading the posts in this group.

Hi Matt and welcome to the group, glad you tracked us down.

In looking at your log, I see that you took three days off before your 20K.  In my opinion, not good strategy. One would think it would be, so that your legs and body are fresh, but every schedule I've ever seen certainly wouldn't offer that. I find too much time off, my legs may be fresh, but they aren't ready to go. 

So the question is, what is the right amount of rest before a race?  Unfortunately, there is no magic formula.  Depends on your conditioning and your personal comfort zones.  for me, I usually try to take a day two days off before a race, then the day before the race, I get out and get a little run in, just to stretch the legs. 

Let's see what some of the rest of the gang has to say about it.

Larry

LPH

I think taking days off has different results for different people, even at different times for the same person.

Sometimes I find I feel refreshed after one day off but tired after two days off, sometimes the other way around.

Rest days do seem to help me build up energy..

I am getting mentally prepared for my race in 10 days time, my goal is going to be very tough to reach.

on the other hand there are lots of positives- I have an additional year of running, so a bigger base, I have run 125 miles more in the last three months than I did last year for the same race, and done more speedwork, I am about 7lbs lighter, and I was 1 minute faster at my 5k in August than the same event on the same course as last year. (Much of that was better pacing, but still.)

On the other hand conditions were perfect last year, and my son is borrowing my  Garmin this year for the marathon so I will pace myself in the half by feel and a Timex Ironman, not sure if this will be a factor.

Should be 4,500-5,000 racers and i hope for a top 500 finish, time will tell!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.