Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - October 2009 (Read 889 times)

Yo HMTs!

Thanks for the advice on the heart rate thing everyone. I was being such a gimp that I was not even asking the question properly. Only realized it when I was speaking to the chap in the local running store and got an almost identical answer as Larry posted! I was really trying to ask about this pacing stuff. How easy is easy and can I use HR to measure it. This thread is running on the main board and kind of answered my incorrectly asked question! 

Hey Paul - good luck this weekend mate. Await your report with real interest. From your log you are running similar distances and similar pace to me and although you have been running for a few years longer than me I too have a goal of breaking 2 hours for a HM by the end of this year. I would love to hear how you get on and which tactics you use to beat your goal. Good luck again - you can do it! 

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Lu481

Welcome to the group Bob and good luck in your races.  Finishing the race is a great goal for a first half.  I'm sure you'll do awesome.

Good luck everyone else on your races this month.

Lu

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

This was scheduled to be a light training day, so I ran a 5K race on the anniversary of my first ever 5K.

FWRC High Five 5k race. This was my first one last year. I didn't run this for a pb because I have a half in three weeks on 11/8 and wanted to avoid any possibility of injury. So I ran it at an easy hr of 113 for the first 2mi, and pushed to 116 or so for the next half mi and then up to 120 for the last qtr sprint to the finish. Got a 36:06:41, 11:39 PB (official distance, 11:20 gps pace for 3.18 mi) out of it with less effort than last year. I ran almost the whole way at that pace. Only walk break was a short one at a water stop. Have been training to run 20-30 min between drinks and it paid off. Am really happy with how it felt. Now I have to figure out what my half strategy will be. Will obviously walk more, but have to figure out how long to run between walks. Could use what I did for the labor day 15k, which as 1:1 early on, then 2:1, and longer runs the longer we got into the race. It will be a lot cooler on 11/8 than it was on labor day so that should help.

For nutrition I had a light 100 cal muscle milk and banana before leaving. Had a cup of coffee with me, had a gu about 20 min b4 the race start, drank some water after warming up. The post race snacks were all to high in cal, suguar and sodium for me so I had another gu. Am hungry now, but then I just burned almost 600 calories between warm up and race!

Garmin output below.

Type Distance Time Total Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
        Interval 1.28 Mi 15:01.96 15:01.96 11:45 112 115  
        Interval 0.73 Mi 8:28.7 23:30.66 11:37 112 115  
        Interval 1.09 Mi 11:42.73 35:13.39 10:45 115 121  
        Interval 0.08 Mi 0:53.02 36:06.41 11:03 119 121  

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good job, Bob!

I ran my half today, perfect (cool) weather 4 degrees C or about 39 F, sunny and clear.

Ran even and hard pace all the way, my 5k splits were:

23:17

23:12

22:29

23:13

plus 5:11 for the remaining 1.1km at the end. Total 1:37:22 chip time 1:37:40 gun time.

Placed 369/4802 and in M55-59 13/149.

Extremely pleased with my result, worth all the training! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

awesome job simon! I'm still looking forward to my first in three weeks. Hope it feels as good as today's 5k!

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Great job guys. Simon 1:37 - awesome!

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Prince of Fatness

Total 1:37:22 chip time 1:37:40 gun time.

Wow!  Excellent!

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

Well, had my half marathon yesterday...with a goal of breaking two hours.  I actually had a friend of mine run it with me (he is usually much faster...he runs about a 7:00 per mile...but he sacrificed his time to pace me).  We set out to run the HM at a 8:55 to 9:00 pace with would bring us in right around 1:56 to 1:58 (well under my goal of two hours).

We decided to run a warm up mile to loosen the legs...we did it in 9 minutes (mistake number one for me...should have done it at like 10 minutes).  We wanted our first couple of miles to be right around a 9:00 pace and then pick it up as race went on.  Our first mile was 8:38 (mistake number 2).  We then averaged about an 8:42 pace for like the first 4 miles or so (mistake number 3).  Everytime we checked our watches and see that we were going too fast, we'd slow down just a tick, but somehow our pace seemed to get quicker.  At the halfway point, we were at 58:03 (still right on track for sub-two hour finish..and right at our 8:55 pace). 

Miles 7 and 8 we (more like I) slowed down a bit, but @ mile marker 8 we were at 1:02:00 (still a 9:00 pace and on track for a 1:58:00 finish).  But it was just after that, that the speedy start caught up to me and we really had to slow n down.  Miles 8-13 seemed to take forever!!!  My walk breaks were increasing in length, and my running segments were decreasing as well.

Finally, we could see the bridge (and thus the finish line)..but it never seemed to get any closer.  Well, I finished at 2:14:53 (not the sub-two I wanted, not even a PR...but at least I finished).

Some of the things I need to mprove on (lessons learned):

1) Don't go out too fast (I always seem to say that one after each race)

2) Work on improving my run/walk ratios.  I usually train with 5/1 splits...and during the race I tried to strech that out way too much (and that killed me too)

3) Hydration:  Need to always bring my water belt with me (I didn't want the "extra weight").  But I was talking withone friend of mine who is a 7:45 to 8:00 runner and they "force" themselves to drink some water every 15-20 minutes.  I think they know what they are talking about so I am going to incorporate that into my training

4) Cross training:  nedd to bump up my intensity and frequency of my weight lighting.

Take care my fellow half marathoners...and good luck in all your races!!!!

Modified: to fix a couple of typos

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Paul, I am sorry to hear you did not reach your goal, but as you point out in your comments, we learn from our mistakes and improve. (Really clever people, so I am told, can even learn from the mistakes of others, and save a lot of time this way!)

Sorry I did not comment on your report earlier, it has been a hectic week, only ran today for the first time this week.

What are your goals now? I expect you are picking out a spring half to break the 2 hour barrier?

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon, congratulations on your race!  You're such a good role model.

Paul, sorry your race didn't go as well as you'd hoped, but I'm impressed at the specific lessons you came away with.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Hey all...started 1/2 marathon training yesterday (Hal Higdon novice) for a race in Jan. so you will probably be see'n me around here a bit. It will be my first 1/2 so I'm sure I will have lots of questions!

Erica

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

redleaf

Hey all...started 1/2 marathon training yesterday (Hal Higdon novice) for a race in Jan. so you will probably be see'n me around here a bit. It will be my first 1/2 so I'm sure I will have lots of questions!

Erica

Can I have your permission to log stalk then? My half isn't until May ...

The race itself had a couple of training plans on its website.

I did the same half this year (May 2009) in 2:45... off of not very well focused training. I chose a somewhat ambitious plan for ending in 2:15 in 2010 (a huge jump but I am operating under the aim high and even if I don't quite make it I'll be far more ahead than I am now). They suggested a 24 week plan assuming 13 - 20 km weeks to start.

I may change this of course after the 10k clinic I am now doing...but I'd love to watch what you're doing and how it's working for you. Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Can I have your permission to log stalk then? My half isn't until May ...

The race itself had a couple of training plans on its website.

I did the same half this year (May 2009) in 2:45... off of not very well focused training. I chose a somewhat ambitious plan for ending in 2:15 in 2010 (a huge jump but I am operating under the aim high and even if I don't quite make it I'll be far more ahead than I am now). They suggested a 24 week plan assuming 13 - 20 km weeks to start.

I may change this of course after the 10k clinic I am now doing...but I'd love to watch what you're doing and how it's working for you. Smile

I don't know how exciting it will be to stalk my log but go right on ahead I have heard that the plan I picked is not all that ambitious (maxes out at 23mi/wk) but I'm ok with that...my first goal is just to be able to finish the race in less time than the 3 hour limit for the race! I will be running another 1/2 (if all goes well) on 4/10 so I might try something more aggressive the 2nd time around!

There will probably be some mutual log stalking!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Paul, Thanks for the race report, sorry you missed your goal, but as we all know, we have good days and bad days.

I wear my waterbelt for my races and that way, I can take a drink whenever I want to or need to. 

Simon, great race for you, 137:22, wow.  Thanks for showing them that us 50-59 year old men can still run. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Lisa and Erica, welcome to the forum.  Ask whatever you want, we're try to give you some advice along the way, but rmember, none of us claim to be perfect or to be that Expert, we're nothing more than novices with a little bit infomation, but enough to make us dangerous. 

Probably the biggest thing you can learn form the group  and that is "From our mistakes"

Good luck with your training, take it easy and little bit improvements at a time and remember to listen to your body. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"