Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers- March. (Read 729 times)

Nicer report, Paul....WAY TO GO!!!

Yesterday I had probably the worst run I can remember.  Went out to do 12 as a last long run before my upcoming HM on Saturday.  I got to mile 7 and felt OK, but legs felt heavy and kind of.....well, not really sore, but not feeling good really either.  By mile 8 I was actually thinking I should call my wife to pick me up........slugged it out until about 10.25 mile marker and just stopped.  I walked the last 2 miles back, freezing cold in the wind with my sweat dripping clothes.  Man was that a miserable experience.  Tomorrow I am going to take a NICE AND EASY 5 miler and then see how Wednesday feels (hope to do a 3 or 4 mile tempo) before I get a couple of days off until Saturday's race.

I'll make sure to post a race report and photos from the Canyonlands HM in Moab, Utah.  I only wish the forecast looked a little bit warmer.  At least it doesn't look like any precip is planned......

Cheers, everyone!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Hey Paul - great result! Congratz and I know how you feel. I went under 2 hours for the first time this weekend too! 1:53:34 in the Dallas Rock & Roll Half (posted a report in the Reports Thread)

Sean - did you pick it back up today & put that bad run behind you? It happens man - hope you moved on!

Since racing this past weekend I have not been back out at all. My kids have passed on some delightful spring break snot-cough-bug and I feel like crap. Hopefully try and get out for something easy tomorrow, my miles are going to be well down this week.

Stay well y'all - Cheers.

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Matt, I didn't run this AM.  I slept in and plan to run tomorrow morning instead.  I think it is my shoes......I have a new pair and am sure that will make a difference over the next couple of weeks.  The other major factor is my just overall stress (work) and exhaustion.  I am trying to get good sleep all this week and am trying to hydrate really well.  I will be as ready for Saturday's race as I can be.

I hope you get over your cold ASAP.  I had a head cold about two weeks ago and it sucks.........

Cheers!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Did my first run in about ten days today. I'm still coughing a bit so it wasn't a really pleasant run although it had its good moment. I haven't had a chest and sinus cold like this since university probably. This was the first day I wasn't hacking hard so I gave it a try and then coughed for five or ten minutes after.  I guess that's how it goes. I'm hoping I can shake this and get back to where I was actually improving in running.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I had a nice 21 mile week after a race weekend, last.  Today's 10 miler was about as perfect a run as I have had in a while......sunny, bright, warm and I just felt nice and strong.

Not a bunch of activity around here lately.  I hope everyone's training plans and races are going well.

Cheers!

Crappy week last week - only 12 miles post race & kiddy snot virus.

Back on target this week, 31 miles, also topped by a good 10 miler this morning.

Hope you are feeling better Meg.

Like Sean, I hope the posts pick up a bit when the weather gets nicer!

Happy Trails y'all

2017 Goals

Trainings been going real well.  Had a lot of fun on an 11.5 miler yesterday.

Beautiful day, beautiful scenery (for a NYC suburb anyway), felt strong, finished hard.

Not sure I'll be able to get to where I want to be (in terms of pace) for the race in May, but I'm having fun and making progress. 

Tried to pick it up a bit this week, felt pretty tired on Sunday so I have a long way to go to get back to the level I was at in October!

My son is working very hard as he and a friend are doing a 100km (62 mile) run in eatrly May to support a charity for Zimbabwe.

He has done a couple of long runs in the 40 mile range, amzing to me..

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Matt. I think I'm finally through this cold and in hindsight, probably did a couple of runs too soon. I'll be happy to get into April because I sure didn't hit my goals for this month with the almost 2 weeks I couldn't run. I'm frustrated with feeling slower post-cold.

Simon, that is mileage I can't imagine doing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hey Meg - don't worry about the slow times, they'll come round. I was slower too for about a week or so after coming back from the most recent cold.

So how did March end up for y'all? My six miler today pushed me just over the 120 mile mark for the month, still my lowest since October last year, but I have hit 400 miles for the year to date (on pace to beat the 1500 pace bunny) and I went under 2:00:00 in the HM which has been a goal for the last 15 months. On balance a good month. See you all in April.

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals

March was my best running month so far, although feel a bit tired right now, April has a couple of racesa HM and a overnight realy,  so I'll be cutting back my mileage (and taking a week off for vacation), so my legs should bounce back. 

RIght now the idea of racing does not sound fun at all, but a few days off and I'll be fine.

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a bit, and decided I’d bore fill you in on my status.

I started running a year ago to loose weight.  The weight has dropped nicely (40+ pounds) with about 10 to go (my wife thinks I’m getting too small, but she needs to get over it ).  Anyhow, over the past year I have developed an appetite for running.  It’s not totally about weight loss now, but all the other goodies you get by putting one foot in front of the other.  I’m 44 years old, and have pretty much been overweight since grad scholol when I did a handful of sprint tri’s in 1990.

My recent racing background includes three 5ks and a 10k.  This year, I would like to run 1000 miles and complete a HM.  I am signed up for the Martian HM on April 10th.  If that goes well (< 2 hours), I’ll consider a full in the fall, but since I’m taking a long term approach to running, I will probably schedule another half for the fall and save the full for next spring in order to get a bigger/better base.

I’ve been following the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM training plan (with the days switrched around to accommodate my schedule) and I’m about half way through.  So far so good.  I’ve been injury free (knock on wood) and I’m really looking forward to the weather in Michigan improving and getting back outside.

So there really isn’t a point to my post other than to avail myself to you all as another runner with a HM goal.  I enjoy reading all the posts and encouraging/helpful people in this Group and on RunningAhead in general.

Thanks for reading, Dave

Yeah, so yesterday I was doing my last long run (12miles) before the HM on 4/10 and it was the worst run I can remember.  I made it 10 miles but looked like Frankenstein the last two.  I didn't go out particularly fast, but it was 12-15 degress hotter than it has been.  Bummer. 

Someone please tell me not to panic.    Thanks.

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

Hot weather makes things very tough- all you can do is slow your pace and drink plenty of fluids.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Could it be that you ran 35 miles last week?  You'll be fine come race day