Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - November 2009 (Read 845 times)

You mean CT had snow before you?  While we were in Florida Oct 12-20th, they had a couple of inches in the northwest hills where we live.  They were predicting possibility of flurries and ice this morning, but it was clear this morning.

Larry

I guess being a runner in Long Island NY has it's advantages.  Nothing remotely resembling snow yet here.

Though running northwest CT hills sounds a lot nicer than running in overcrowded NYC suburbs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

awaldvogel, DS will be running at the Foot Locker XC championship at Sunken Meadow State Park the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Do you live anywhere close to that park?  We've never been to that area.

I ran 4 miles this morning, then DH and I went and walked the XC course that will be used for the state meet tomorrow.  Wow, just walking the 3.1 miles was tough!!  Much different than a 5k road race.  STEEP hills, the kind that make you feel like you're hiking a mountain!  Some tough downhill stretches, too.  It's DS's home course, but we'd never walked the whole thing before.  I'm going to stand at the 1/2-mile point and yell DS's time as he goes by.  It should be 2:40 for him to hit his goal.

Of course, as we were walking, here came DS's entire team the other way!  We pretended we didn't see him.  I didn't think we would run into him.

Hangin' with Hal!

Hey y'all,

Just figured I'd pop in and say howdy...been a hectic week, so haven't had any time to post anywhere!  Looks like I'm FINALLY starting to recover from the hip injury I suffered about 2 weeks ago, so hoping to get a run in sometime this weekend (preferably tomorrow).  Especially before we start seeing coastal flooding from Ida.

So MattJ, you're running the White Rock?  Me too...looking forward to getting back to North Texas, even if only for a few days.  Go Cowboys!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

awaldvogel, DS will be running at the Foot Locker XC championship at Sunken Meadow State Park the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Do you live anywhere close to that park?  We've never been to that area.

I ran 4 miles this morning, then DH and I went and walked the XC course that will be used for the state meet tomorrow.  Wow, just walking the 3.1 miles was tough!!  Much different than a 5k road race.  STEEP hills, the kind that make you feel like you're hiking a mountain!  Some tough downhill stretches, too.  It's DS's home course, but we'd never walked the whole thing before.  I'm going to stand at the 1/2-mile point and yell DS's time as he goes by.  It should be 2:40 for him to hit his goal.

Of course, as we were walking, here came DS's entire team the other way!  We pretended we didn't see him.  I didn't think we would run into him.

I used to spend a lot of time at Sunken Meadow State Park when I was a kid. My bil lives near there now and we went hiking above the beach. Quite a hike, heavy strain on my bad knee. Its a beautiful area of LI

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I guess being a runner in Long Island NY has it's advantages.  Nothing remotely resembling snow yet here.

Though running northwest CT hills sounds a lot nicer than running in overcrowded NYC suburbs.

Living in North Texas we don't get much snow, and frankly I don't miss it. I grew up in NYC, lived in CT, NH, and NJ before moving to Atlanta in 92, then Fort Worth in 03. I'm not sure I would last another northern winter...

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

My son ran Region I Jr Olympics in Sunken Meadow one year and qualified for nationals there.  Forgot his finish but it was pretty high up there.  2nd or 3rd I think.

Where are your States being held this year?  How about the New Englands?  

We were up to Portland several times for Jr Olympics back in the day.  

Good luck with DS, very important race for two reasons, one to make it to N.E. and 2nd to secure those college offers, needs a great showing.

Larry 

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

last run b4 tomorrow's race. Did an easy 2mi to stay loose and felt good. Had to test if head would clear from the stuffiness I've had since Thur. At least the sore throat is gone. The more I think about it the more I think its an allergy and may not be a cold. I'm as ready as I can be...

Daughter and new sil arrive this afternoon and will be here to see me near mid point and at finish of race. Have to pick up packet this morning. Am trying not to get nervous! Its a small race, <100 havers, and maybe 300 total with full and half. Trying to keep it fun!

Edit: I ran again w/o any knee braces. Will still be conservative tomorrow and wear both. Haven't built up a no knee brace base of distance or time to attempt a half w/o them

bob e v

Teresadfp

One day at a time

bobev, that's cool.  I'm looking forward to seeing the area.  GOOD LUCK at your HM tomorrow! 

Larry, the state meet  is on our home course!  It's about a 13-minute drive from our house.  We're very lucky this year.  DS has to fly out to St. Louis early tomorrow morning to see Washington U, so I'm glad we're not having to travel today.

New Englands is in Mancester, Connecticut.  Unless there's a catastrophe of monumental proportions, DS's team will qualify for sure.  They are the top-ranked team in the state, of any class.  Six teams get to go to NE.  He should have no problem qualifying as an individual, also.

We're hoping he has a great race today.  He tends to go out too fast, as I've probably mentioned before! Last week, his first mile on a tough course was 5:06!  Ack, way too fast, and he ended up finishing in 17:02, not a good time.  Today, he is aiming for a 5:15 first mile.  DH is going to stand at the half-mile point and give him his split there.

Ugh, I think I'm more nervous than DS! 

Good luck Bobev, and Teresa's son! I hope you both meet your goals.

Mwalker, good luck with the hip injury.

Ran 6.5 miles last night at an easy pace, some tightness but not too bad. I am trying to do some cross training on a regular basis but keep getting stiff from it.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JoeInTX

Run this morning was 7.42 miles.  I know, should have kept going and gone for 8!   lol  Went for a swim at the gym after that. 

Good running everyone!   Rnwalker - Whoop!   Wink  

Joe

I haven't been able to post on Active's site for 2 days now.  First time was maintainence, today I just couldn't log on.   I have felt pretty good about my running this week, the first good week after my 2 HMs.  I ran 8 miles today.  The weather has been chamber of commerce weather all week, lows in the 50s highs in the 70s.  Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to the low 80s, but that is good. 

I need a plan for inbetween races.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Just tell me what you do for maintainence. 

Keep on running

Melody

JoeInTX

Active still broken!

Melody - LOL on your  "chamber of commerce weather" comment.  Oh and good run!

bobev, that's cool.  I'm looking forward to seeing the area.  GOOD LUCK at your HM tomorrow! 

Larry, the state meet  is on our home course!  It's about a 13-minute drive from our house.  We're very lucky this year.  DS has to fly out to St. Louis early tomorrow morning to see Washington U, so I'm glad we're not having to travel today.

New Englands is in Mancester, Connecticut.  Unless there's a catastrophe of monumental proportions, DS's team will qualify for sure.  They are the top-ranked team in the state, of any class.  Six teams get to go to NE.  He should have no problem qualifying as an individual, also.

We're hoping he has a great race today.  He tends to go out too fast, as I've probably mentioned before! Last week, his first mile on a tough course was 5:06!  Ack, way too fast, and he ended up finishing in 17:02, not a good time.  Today, he is aiming for a 5:15 first mile.  DH is going to stand at the half-mile point and give him his split there.

Ugh, I think I'm more nervous than DS! 

DS will be at Wickham Park, I grew up less than a mile from there (as the crow flies) on the East Hartford side.  It's a great place to run if the weather is decent, a terrible place to run if it's bad.  Lots of hills to and the finish has that long hill at the end, that I've seen so many kids die on and get passed. 

I now live about an hour and 15 minutes away from there.  I just made a commitment yesterday to go down and see my Grandson play soccer next Sat, so I can't make it over to watch the race.  I'll be checking the paper though for results. 

Do you know the history of wickham Park?  It was owned by the guy who invented the little clear window on envelopes.  When he died, he left the property to East Hartford and Manchester.  The house that remains was the servants qtrs.  The main house was torn down a long long time ago for disrepair and termite infestation.  They now wish that they had preserved it, but kind of late for that.

Larry

LPH

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Just tell me what you do for maintainence. 

Keep on running

Melody

Melody, you need to tells us the time between races and the distances.

Larry

LPH

Weather was beautiful in CT yesterday, high around 50 and sunny.  Unfortunately, I didn't get my run in until 3 inthe afternoon when it was starting to cool down. 

But I did get 5M in which included two loops of a pretty good hill. 

Doesn't look like I'll get a run in today (Temps suppose to be in the 60s), but I'm off tomorrow (60s again) and will get one in at some point. 

Made a big mistake yesterday.  Since I hadn't eaten anything, I went into MacDonalds and got a burger and fries.  Now I almost never eat any of that fast food crap (4 or 5 times a year) but I knew I needed something in my system.  I had the most awful cramps during my run.  Thry were so bad, that after my cool down walk, I didn't even stretch, I just went home.  I'll never make that mistake again.

Larry 

LPH