Half Marathon Trainers

October thread (Read 344 times)

Home town for me (well close enough)... but London is massive. Any idea where you are going to be Peter? I'll make a suggestion or two. Smile

Did not know that! Office is in Hammersmith, so I'll probably be staying close to there. Guy from the London office is training for an ironman (we'll be doing a 2.5 hour run in munich together, as he'll be traveling there as well), so he hopefully will have some ideas as well.  Thanks Matt.

Some unsolicited input Matt...were I in your shoes with your goal, I think I'd knock those planned 20 milers out of the plan and do a few more 15 - 16 milers with an absolute max time of 3 hours for any one run.  That recent tri and this run show you've got plenty of base fitness left, more mid-length stuff will build on that better than 2 20 milers.

But I hear you on being slower...I hear you brother. Earlier this year, my 'no muss, no fuss' run and race paces were all 30 - 40 sec/mi faster than the what I've been doing the last few months. Nagging aches and injuries and 5 extra pounds...uggh.

If you were in my shoes... my shoes would be going a heck of a lot faster than they usually go! Clown

Seriously, appreciate the input as ever. I have been playing around with that "peak part" of the training plan, around thanksgiving time. The timing really sucks because we will be away on Mission in Belize again for a week too and that really limits running.

I also am going to have to see how recovery is when I am that far in. Last weekend's 15 had no lasting effects beyond the first mile of Tuesday's run. If this week's 16 is the same I still may be tempted with one 20 miler before I go away and then do a longer taper.... I don't know. Will play it by ear.

Looks like you have 16 as well this weekend VF - go easy on those injuries, glad to hear they are not too serious.

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Did not know that! Office is in Hammersmith, so I'll probably be staying close to there. Guy from the London office is training for an ironman (we'll be doing a 2.5 hour run in munich together, as he'll be traveling there as well), so he hopefully will have some ideas as well.  Thanks Matt.

Yeah, I grew up in the Epping area (East end of the Central line of the tube). Moved to Texas 10 years ago.

Epping is about as far away from Hammersmith as you can get and still be in London so I have nothing specific for ya.

However typical big city stuff - run the river. Out by Hammersmith the embankment is on the south side of the Thames but if you can get a bit further east then Chelsea & Victoria embankment will run you right past many of the tourist sites (Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, London Eye). From there you can kick back round through St James Park, past Buckingham Palace, through Hyde park and somehow make your way back home. You are certainly close enough to run past the sights but if your buddy from the office has more local knowledge I trust whatever he says!

Have fun over there - enjoy the curry & warm beer.

2017 Goals

Poor 16 miler for me this morning ... coz I stopped at 12 miles. Dead

Could blame it on the temp/humidity or the two late nights Friday & Saturday but in reality either it was just a bad day and I'll bounce back or I really need to rethink this Marathon thing. We'll see what the next week brings.

Looking forwards to Kevin's report..... Smile

MTA: 3 posts in a row..... how needy does that look! Wink

2017 Goals

Yeah, I grew up in the Epping area (East end of the Central line of the tube). Moved to Texas 10 years ago.

Epping is about as far away from Hammersmith as you can get and still be in London so I have nothing specific for ya.

However typical big city stuff - run the river. Out by Hammersmith the embankment is on the south side of the Thames but if you can get a bit further east then Chelsea & Victoria embankment will run you right past many of the tourist sites (Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, London Eye). From there you can kick back round through St James Park, past Buckingham Palace, through Hyde park and somehow make your way back home. You are certainly close enough to run past the sights but if your buddy from the office has more local knowledge I trust whatever he says!

Have fun over there - enjoy the curry & warm beer.

Thanks for the input. I definitely need to have at least one run that goes by the tourist spots. I haven't figured out yet what I'll do on the end weekend-maybe I'll just stay in London and do that run.

vegefrog

Matt I had a few really great long runs, then I did what should have been an easy 16 miler and almost didn't make it. In fact, had to walk a mile of it! No apparent reason! Very frustrating, but I know everyone has bad workouts...so I tried not to take it to heart. Next long run I did was fantastic.

I think you are doing fine and will be great for your marathon!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well Auckland half marathon this Sunday.

Can't say I have had ideal prep for the type of race.  Fitness is good, strength is better than it has ever been but my speed is down.  Have done a pile of training on trails (50km in the weekend) which I have really enjoyed including a couple of days back the Wild Turkey Half Marathon Course which is an ultra tough trail.  Took me 3:26!! But if you saw the hills and the mud you would understand.

Anyway will see how it goes but i'm not expecting a PB or anything, just a cruise.

Im only running about 23:00 5kms at the mo where 2 years ago I was running 20:30-21:00 so I expect to get through the 21km relatively easily just not as quick as I once did when I was more tuned for road running

Good running all

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

an amazing likeness

3 years ago on this day @ 11:50A, I ran behind a blue Ford pickup to cross the street. I crossed and stepped up onto a median, then turned left to start across another road. As I stepped off the median grass strip, there was a blur from my left, a blinding flash of light and then silence as a car going 30+ mph hit me from the left....thus began a journey.

The past three years:

5,480 miles running in 847 runs over 792  hours;
                  477 miles walking in 178 walks over 122 hours;
                  That's 5,957 miles covered and 38 days of elapsed time.

Whew...I'm tired.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I cannot believe it's three years- I remember being horrified reading about the accident. You must be a very determined individual to achieve what you have since then.

Vino, I think this should feel easy for you, though it may not be fast! Try a few short sprints over the next few days and before the race as it may help- it always makes me feel great and run faster.

Tried a 400m time trial to day for fun. Ran 3 miles as a warm up, did some high knees running on the spot, stretching for quads and hamstring, then a 50m sprint, a walk to get my breath back, then ran it in  83.07. I started too fast then slowed down too much out of lack of confidence, then finished strong. With practice I think I could chip off a second or so, but I have know I will  never need to buy track spikes!

Perhaps for fun I will try to crack 3:00 in the 800 or 80 seconds for 400m next year.....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

MT, your recovery and comeback has been phenomenal. "Intestinal fortitude" comes to mind - you've got it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Perhaps for fun I will try to crack 3:00 in the 800 or 80 seconds for 400m next year.....

This is why I can't run intervals or anything involving measured distance unless it's like a mile or half mile, etc. Otherwise the numbers are like a foreign language. I read training articles and they just don't translate for me. Plus if they talk about 10xwhatever with so many seconds recovery, I never know how many miles that makes and I need to run a certain distance. This is why I prefer tempo runs where I just insert some faster miles. I'm mathematically challenged and addicted to mile increments!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Andy - Wow - 3 years. I remember you posting it too, I had just joined this group. Thought about it while I was out running tonight. It's still scary. I agree with others here your comeback is inspirational.

VF - thanks for the comments. Since the weekend's BONK I have had two really good runs including a fun 8 miler mid week and a nice paced (for me) 5 miler tonight. Ready to go for 16 again this Saturday.

Vino - run strong and enjoy!

Simon - "time trial" and "fun" are not two words I would put in the same sentence! You say "no spikes" but 83 seconds sounds mighty speedy to me. Mainly I am with Amy though.... I need mile increments! Good work Smile

MTA - got round my 16 yesterday without bonking.... back on track

2017 Goals

vegefrog

I hit 1000 miles for the year today!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

I also feel like freaking fantastic! I think it's the cooler weather? I've put in a lot of miles lately and I feel fresh as a daisy. I was singing along to my MP3 player today and cranking out 9:20's easily.

I'm feeling more confident that a sub 4 marathon might actually be within my reach by December...

Hope everyone else is having great runs too!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I also feel like freaking fantastic! I think it's the cooler weather? I've put in a lot of miles lately and I feel fresh as a daisy. I was singing along to my MP3 player today and cranking out 9:20's easily.

I'm feeling more confident that a sub 4 marathon might actually be within my reach by December...

Way to go on the mileage! It's within striking distance for me this year too but I need another month or so. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Congrats! 

I am having, not enough, but outstanding runs. My last two runs have been about the nicest in my life. Saturday was 10 miles through Englischer Garten in Munich, in the snow and rain, but it was the most beautiful city run I've ever had. Today, I did 10+ miles through London with a coworker: Hyde Park, Kennsington Gardens, several palaces, etc. It was very, very cool.