Half Marathon Trainers

Half's for 2009 (Read 746 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Dakota, that looks beautiful!!
      I read about the Utah event in RW recently, sounds like a great event. As of today I am registered for the Toronto Half October 18th., obviously got the max. discount- I wonder if I will get a really low number so people think I'm fast?)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I am going to sign up for the Maine Half Marathon on October 4. My goal will be to run the entire way this year, and finish faster than 2:30.

jules2

Teresadfp You've got ages to train for a quicker time, aim higher we will help you.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Jules! You guys are great.
              Teresa, Just like Jules said, we'll help you, that's what this group is for right? So how about telling us what your plans are for workouts etc. What's the status of your injuries at the moment? Maybe DS will lend you some speed and endurance! Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I agree with Jules, Teresa, think big and go for it! My secret plan this year is to try to train for my October race as if it were a marathon, not a half; the idea is to find out for 2010 whether I can handle the mileage and build up my endurance to run my first marathon "properly", or whether I should stick to shorter distances. This means I will try to gradually get my weekly mileage up to 80kms (50 miles) or so, and do several long runs of at least 20 miles. If nothing else I should run a cracker of a half in October!

jules2

First Half of the year, hillier than I expected and around three miles were cross country on grass / rough tracks plus there was a cold wind. My right thigh stiffened up as I ran but finished in 1:35:36 85th out of over 400 so can't complain. I'm jusy hoping I can sort myself out before my next Half at Silverstone race track on the 15th March as thats a quick course and it would be nice to get a PB this early in the year.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Dear Teresa, I did the Maine Half Marathon in Portland (my first 2:26:**) and I thought it was great! It was really fun and I ran through some very pretty neighborhoods in Falmouth. Since I mostly run alone it was great running with so many people. It was easy to pace myself going out, I stuck with with some nice marathoners who helped but coming back was harder because they kept going after our turnaround. Miles 10-11 were a little dodgy coming back over the bridge with a bit of traffic, since I was in the over 2 hour category. But the finish line was great and there was a massage tent which I greatly appreciated before the drive home. This year I'm planning on the MDI YMCA half because I really want to run in Acadia Park (and drive one hour less) this may not be good for my goal of 10m/m pace (2:11:**) as it is very hilly, but I hear Philadelphia is really flat, so I may try that in November. A MTA: to remove unintentional emoticons (they are evil)

Recalculating...

Congratulations to Jules and Ayola, well done! Jules, that is a great time for a course of that nature, ours here are almost always either roads or trails, not a mixture. Ayola, rolling hills can be good if not too steep as you use slightly different muscles going up from down, so your legs seem to stay fresher. You can set a good time on a gently rolling course.

Well, looking at the calendar today, the Ironhorse HM is now only 13 weeks out (May 30th). Probably not where I should be for training, but then again while really looking at last year, I'm actually ahead. The big motivation for me is as the weather warms up and I can get outside, I'm much more inspired to run. As I've said in a previous post, I'm planning on trying to take things a bit easier this year. For the HM, I simply want to better my time last year of 1:44:26. I won't run in the difficult 5M race (6) days before the HM this year, so that should give me an advantage and now knowing the course and the issue with the mile markers at the beginning, I'll be more prepared at the beginning and hopefully avoid the fast start I had last year. Even if the weather does not improve much here in CT, I'll be in FL for 8 days in Mid March and get a couple of runs in outside including (hopefully) a 5K in Ft Lauderdale. The Threadmill is okay, but "VERY" boring and un-inspiring. Once I can get out regularly and open my stride up, I should be able to get on track. Also, running on the threadmill is awful lonely. Even though most of my runs are alone, you at least see other people and breaks up the loneliness. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Enjoy Florida, Larry! Yep, I'm sick of the TM. We've already gotten 70 inches of snow, and our average for the entire year is 66! More rain and snow coming this weekend.
                            My next one is March 21 in Moab, Utah...I'm getting psyched!
                            Nice Dakota!!! Looks real cool.