Half Marathon Trainers

Anyone training for the Iron Horse? (Read 945 times)

Anyone thinking about doing the Iron Horse Half Marathon in Connecticut? =)
    2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
      Hi Brian, I ran it last year (it was my first and only HM) and plan to run it again this year. I just restarted training after recouping from an injury and taking it slow and easy. Lasy year, I ran a tough 5M 6 days before the HM and although I made my goal of under 1:45, I wasn't happy with my performance. So now I've decided to alternate years if the two races are back to back again, it just wasn't enough time to recuporate. Have you run it before? it's a pretty flat course, but as luck would have it, race day was very hot and humid last year and that had some effect as well. Not making excuses, but the mileage markers were screwed up at the beginning because they were running a 10K at the same time which started from a different point. i didn't get my correct mileage until the completion of Mile 4 Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

No actually it will be my first half-marathon. I picked it because it's close and people say it's scenic and flat. My goal is to just finish it, I don't care much about the time. I figure by June 1st I'll be able to run it, because I just started running January 1st. I'm also anti-treadmill so I'm already sick from running in the cold, but I still run anyway to get the mileage up. Any tips?
        2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
          Tips on training, the race, running in the cold? As for training for a half, I don't want to discourage you, but as a beginner you have a very long way to go and 6 months to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible and you're only 19, but not knowing what type of physical condition you're in it is certainly a challenge. Looking at your log, you are out to a very slow start and you need to pick that up more bu adding more miles, even if they are walking miles. A number of members train in a program of run/walk and it has gotten them there. Stop into the discusion labeld HM Jan and say hello and ask about it. I will tell you, that most of the info I know about a HM, is that at the minimum, it's a 12 week program assuming you are already running 6 or more miles at a clip. LPH

LPH

Alright sounds good! Thanks!
              I'll be there. DId the 10K last year. June can be hot and humid in CT so don't expect great times.
                I'll be there. DId the 10K last year. June can be hot and humid in CT so don't expect great times.
                And it certainly was HOT and Humid last year and that return loop (which you only ran once for the 10K) is almost all out in the sun.

LPH

Oh boy, but it is relatively flat so that makes up for it =) I hope I can make it. June 1st is coming up faster than I thought, and I've hit a plateau of sorts.
                  amyann

I've signed up for the Iron Horse this year as my first half marathon! I've been using a 12 week plan from Runnersworld.com called the FIRST half marathon training plan. You run 3 days a week: 1 day of speedwork, 1 day of pace work & 1 day of edurance/long run. I've found it to be very effective so far, especially combined with some additional strength training & pilates! Good luck! Big grin & you are right- thank goodness the course is flat! yipes!
                      Amy, I ran it as my first HM last year. Hopefully they fix the mile markers this year, because last year, it was hard to tell the difference between the 10K and the HM Mile markers and it screwed up my pace big time. I'm planning on running it again this year and am hoping that the weather is a bit cooler than last year.

LPH

amyann

Thanks for the info- I hope the mile markers are fixed as well! My mom will be running the 5K that day... How is everyone's training going?
                          Thanks for the info- I hope the mile markers are fixed as well! My mom will be running the 5K that day... How is everyone's training going?
                          Unless they have changed it, there is no 5K, there is a 10K that goes off like 15 minutes before the half. They start from a different spot which is why I think I got screwed up on the mile markers. My training is going well, have done 10 miles for a long run, was suppose to do 11 last sunday, but cut it short for many reasons including the heat. Did 8 miles last night. Will plan on 11 this weekend and increase by one the following two weekends which puts me at 13 two weeks before the race. I'm actually a little ahead of my training from last year so I'm feeling real confident now, that I'll be ready for it. How's your training doing? Larry

LPH

amyann

Larry- sounds like you are ready to go! My training has been on hold for the past 2 weeks because of the dreaded runner's knee! (and now a sinus infection)! My orthopedist gave me a knee brace to wear but the condition is painful! now i'm debating what to do... i feel like i'm throwing away my training that i've done since february! Even if it starts to feel better, I've still lost almost 3 weeks of speedwork & long runs... Any suggestions?! Confused Cry
                              Larry- sounds like you are ready to go! My training has been on hold for the past 2 weeks because of the dreaded runner's knee! (and now a sinus infection)! My orthopedist gave me a knee brace to wear but the condition is painful! now i'm debating what to do... i feel like i'm throwing away my training that i've done since february! Even if it starts to feel better, I've still lost almost 3 weeks of speedwork & long runs... Any suggestions?! Confused Cry
                              First, there are serious injuries and minor ones that we can run through. I/we can't judge how serious it is and how painful it is. Listen to your Dr, going to him was the first smart thing that you did. Did he give you exercises to strengthen the knee? Do you warm up before running? One of the things I learned is to warm up before I even stretch, by walking. There are believers and disbelievers in this, but I can send you an artilce on this and what it says, is that by warming up first, you get the fluids to your joints and 2nd, you should never stretch cold muscles. Massage is good, Ben Gay before you run. You might want to think about Icing it immediately after a run and then don't be afraid to add warm compresses alternating with cold to stimulate blood flow. Motrin can be good because it helps reduce inflamation, but be careful it doesn't mask the pain. Rest it and if you run, make them easy ones and probably forget the Iron Horse. Doesn't have to mean your training is gone to waste, look for another one. I missed my planned 2nd HM last Sept (The Hogs Back) due to an injury and I had trained all spring and summer to peak in the fall for that race and some shorter ones and had to miss them all. There is a HM in Bristol at Lake Componce, but at the moment I don't know the date, I can find it for you if you need me to. Sometimes injuries can be discouraging, we've all been there, but this is a great group for support, so don't be shy about posting in the monthly thread about your injury and seek other advice. Oh, and if you wanted to, you could scale back and do the 10K at the Iron Horse! Larry

LPH

amyann

Thanks for the advice Larry- it is always good to get an opinion from a runner/athlete! I am a strong advocate of stretching (after warming up of course, just as you mentioned). The knee injury was caused by overuse, so I think for now I will lower my training & strive for the 10k. I have been icing & taking an anti-inflammatory that was prescribed. Thank you for your response, much appreciated!