Half Marathon Trainers

February! (Read 36 times)

Cyberic

It is a beautiful winter morning in Montreal. It was -9C when I left for my run, and -4C when I came back, with the sun shining!

The program I now follow for training prescribes a race (5 or 10k) at the end of every 4 week cycle, except when you're in a 10 week specific training cycle for a big race. Since I don't race much, I figured since I own a GPS watch, I'd make my own personal race. So I ran a slow 5k warmup run. Stopped for 2-3 minutes. Then ran a hard 5k, as if I was racing. Maybe I would have ran a bit faster in an real race, but I doubt it would have been much more, if anything. I ran in the botanical garden in Montreal, so there are no cars or anything to stop me. The asphalt was a little covered with snow, with some icy spots, and some places with a little more snow accumulations in wind draft spots, so although good enough conditions, not perfect.

I ran a PB of 21:13! I'm quite happy with it. I'm thinking in perfect conditions I might be able to break the 21:00 barrier soon.

Then I ran an easy paced 6k to get back home, grinning.

hog4life

Nice run Cyber!

I did 7 miles this morning, I opted out early with the group, 2 of them went 9, the other 2 went 12. I just didn't feel so good, plus my knees have been aching a little. Not sure what's going on with that, but better to stop than push through and make something worse. I ended January with just under 100 miles, and after December's 58, I'm happy with that.

I signed up for a duathlon of 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run on April 12th, which is the day before one of my halves. We get a cool sticker that says 32.6 miles with the names, and a beer mug with both race logos for completing both days.

Cyberic

Nice run Cyber!

I did 7 miles this morning, I opted out early with the group, 2 of them went 9, the other 2 went 12. I just didn't feel so good, plus my knees have been aching a little. Not sure what's going on with that, but better to stop than push through and make something worse. I ended January with just under 100 miles, and after December's 58, I'm happy with that.

I signed up for a duathlon of 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run on April 12th, which is the day before one of my halves. We get a cool sticker that says 32.6 miles with the names, and a beer mug with both race logos for completing both days.

Duathlon the day before a half... ah! what a man would do for a beer mug!

an amazing likeness

Cyber -- I agree with MikeyMike (who gives fantastic advice, lots of people overlook how good it is because he is direct in his writing)....unless your self-paced 21:31 was a real special workout, your race 5K time will be down in the 20:50s if you have a good day. That's a heck of self-paced run.

Mitch -- good to see you getting some miles back under your feet. You had a good break, and probably a needed break. Sounds like you're on the cusp of getting back to steady running. Were I in your shoes....I'd favor more days running 4-5 milers over fewer longer runs, but that can be hard with your 12 hour work shifts.

I raced a 10-mile race this morning. I went in with two goals: (A) goal was to PR (1:15:09), and (B) goal was to get under 1:15:00.  This event is the only 10-mile race I've run, which makes it easy to compare year-to-year over time since it's the same course. Weather is the big variable -- today was just perfect...overcast and 35F, with no wind. Roads dry and clear.

Managed the first 5 miles well, passed the split clock about 20 seconds faster than my PR time.  Good through 6, then just ran out of gas starting between 6-7mi. Held pretty steady from there in, but pace was too slow to hit any goals. Finish was 1:15:37.  Wah, wah, woo...  Basically ran my 1/2 marathon pace, didn't have the speed to do anything more, and worse...didn't have the endurance. Need to do more tempo runs this spring.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MT - Sorry about the race -  - I looked at your log and it didn't seem as though you tapered for the race at all - might that have been a factor?  6 miles the day before a race would make me a bit tired on race day?  As much as I hate it - I do try to cut back a little bit the week before a race ....

Cyber - Great training run - and with a bit of race day magic you are def going under 21.

Hog-  Love the duathalon and half combo.  Congrats on building up your mileage.

I ran in the mountains of NH yesterday for my LR - and ended up getting lost.  After 11 miles and 1600+ of vertical climb - we were picked up by a kind man and brought back to civilization....damn smartphones are only smart if they get a signal......

Also - - what HM plan do you all follow - I am looking for some new ideas......

Tara

Ready, go.

NIce runs everyone.

MT - you weren't to far off and now you know what you need to work on..Makes a successful race.

Hog - Cray you are - and I mean that in the nicest way..

Cyber - I think you are going to crush your next 5K

Tara - thank goodness for the old guy..this is one fo the reasons I stay on the roads, I am so afraid of getting lost in the woods..

I finally made it outside early yesterday for 3 easy miles.  I have decided I am going to try to do some MAF training.  Yesterday was the first day outside and using a heart rate monitor.  Of course I was talking the entire time trying to keep my friend motivated, which did nothing for my heart rate.  I find it hard to slow down, but from everything I have have read and people I have spoken to,you have to give it time, so that is what I am going to do.  Back inside on the TM this morning for 4 miles.  I can't wait for it to be light out in the early morning.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Teresadfp

One day at a time

MilkTruck, I think you did well!  I am a wimp and don't sign up for that race!

Slowly, slowly, my runs are feeling better each week.  I was swamped with work last week and ran only twice - argh.  But I didn't let it get me down and hit it hard starting Saturday. I am enjoying running doubles - I had never tried that before.  I find that my second run of the day is easier and more fun!

I fell behind the 1,500-mile pace bunny.  I will try to do a little extra each day so I can catch up to him again.  It is sure nice running in 30-degree temps!

Cyberic

Milktruck, too bad about the race result, but it's only like 3 sec/mile slower than what you expected.

Tara, thank god for generous people Smile

Barbs, I was thinking about running doubles, and if they were a good idea, a few minutes ago, in my car driving back home from work. Nice to know they work well for you.

Thanks all for the encouragement about my run. Because of that run, and some of your comments, I'll probably register for a 5k and maybe even a 10k this spring.

And Milktruck, yeah I took Mikeymike's advice well. He might be direct, but he's not unpleasant or rude. Your advice is always good too BTW. But I still won't start racing every other weekend though. That is just a personal thing. I don't understand why people race so often, for many reasons. I know I'm the one who is "bizarre" as pretty much all runners I know race pretty often and so do the runners on RA. But I still don't get it Smile

hog4life

Tara, holy crap! Do you run with a GPS watch? Probably never thought about it, but there is a function that will trace your route, maybe you can dig through the settings to find it. If/when you do, make yourself learn the basics of it. it would have helped if the nice guy hadn't picked you up.

MT, great race in my books. You were not that far off the target.

Don't see how the rest of you run with all the snow.

I run with our work C25K group tonight. Their plan was 1.5 miles at a 2 minute run/1 minute walk. I did this twice with different groups, then did some laps on my own. I ended the day with 6.5, with some "hot" laps. I'm in the market and bike shopping, so any tips are appreciated. Casual riding with 60% road, 40% trail, $500-$700 per bike(wife too). I'm leaning to a hybrid.

MT  - I didn't mean to imply that that wasn't a great race  - it certainly was - but you said you couldn't hold the pace - and I just wonder if maybe your legs were fatigued from the previous week.

I am toying with a 15K this sunday - but not ready to commit until I see the weather forecast.  I suffered through a sub zero 10K two weeks ago and it is nothing I want to repeat --

Barb - What is MAF training?  I cannot wait until it's light in the morning - it makes such a difference to be able to go outside.

Teresa - Ah the mind games with the pace bunny :-)  Glad you are getting some more miles in - kudos for doing doubles - I haven't dipped my toe into that water as of yet - but maybe later this year if I decide to tackle the full.

Cyber - I love when people offer up running advice....I might not take it - but I love to talk about it (just ask anyone that knows me) - different things work for different ppl - so I always listen and you just never know what might be a great thing to incorporate into your training regimen.

Hog - My hubby does triathalons - so his bike is some ridiculous machine that costs more than my first car.  I prefer the simplicity of running....but if it keeps him happy.....

Ready, go.

Tara it is training at or below yor target heart rate, training aeobicaaly instead of anerobic.  Helps to build endurance and speed while remainng at the target heart rate..  Dr. Phil Maffetone 0he has a website and I am reading the big book of Endurance Training and Racing.  I know a few people who tired it last year and had amazing results.  I havea friend who is likes this training very much and she is helping me understand it.  She has been doing ti for years.  The hardest thing is having to slow your pace down - most peole give up.  I figured I would give it a shot and see what happens.  I have nothing to lose.  Iam not an expert by any means, just read a lot of different articles and it kind of makes sense..

Barb - What is MAF training?  I cannot wait until it's light in the morning - it makes such a difference to be able to go outside.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Family stuff messed up Monday's run so nothing was gonna stop me on Tuesday. Not waking up at 3 a.m. and not being able to sleep. Not the cold or the wind. And it was great - 1.5km warm up, 5 k of 3 minutes fast/2 minutes slow, then 1.5km cool down. I am always a little amazed at my consistency considering I have no idea what I am doing (of the 7 fast runs: 3 = 6:32min/km pace; 3 = 6:16 and 1 = 6:23)  Even the slow ones were mostly consistent too.

I then went home, showered and promptly had a huge coughing fit. Sigh. Stayed home from work and got lots of rest. Too much snow today (and a winter weather alert) so I'll do today's planned "slow and easy" 8 k on the treadmill after Q is asleep.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cyberic

Barbs, I don't know if it is the same thing (talking about MAF) but I've seen the advice of running slow in many books, articles in running magazines and right here on RA (something like: Run lots. Mostly slow. Sometimes Fast).

I'm trying it now and I love it. Not basing my pace on HR though, but on pace. At first it was hard to slow down, but I now do most of my running at 30 seconds/km slower than my marathon pace (if I did run marathons), or around 45 seconds/km slower than my HM pace. That is about 15% slower than HM pace or 10% slower than marathon pace.

I run most of my long runs at that pace, my easy days at that pace, and on interval days, my warmup, cooldown, and rest between intervals is at that pace. It now is very natural to run at that speed.

Is MAF training anything like that?

Edit: Ah, I read a paper written by Dr. Phil Maffetone 0he. I now understand what it is. Makes plenty of sense to me.

Cyber sounds like we have been reading the same articles. I just started trying the HRM.  I was trying to run by feel which I can do okay on the TM but outside is harder. I also get hung up on the time. Trying to learn every run does not have to be "balls to the wall". Learning. I am a work in progress.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Cyber sounds like we have been reading the same articles. I just started trying the HRM.  I was trying to run by feel which I can do okay on the TM but outside is harder. I also get hung up on the time. Trying to learn every run does not have to be "balls to the wall". Learning. I am a work in progress.

See and I'm exactly the opposite. I can control myself better outside. On the treadmill I try to go as fast as I can outside and it is no longer an "easy" run hahaha

that being said, I had a great run today on the treadmill and got my 8 km in. And great for me means I had fun and watched sports news and lost track of time. And went too fast 'cause I wanted to see what I could do.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362