Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon interval times (Read 585 times)

philipfromga

I've been trying to see examples of the actual intervals that First Time / Inexperienced runner post during their HM but I can't seem to find anyone in my ballpark ( between 2:00 and 2:30 ).  I am struggling mightily with setting a pace that seems to allow me to finish without be wiped out.  So if anyone out there has some data in their log they can share I would love to just glance at it. 

an amazing likeness

Welcome to Half Marathon Trainers, Philip !  We're glad to have you.

Don't hold back on any questions and advice, there are a lot of folks here who have followed the journey you're on.

I'd recommend you check out RA'r KathyHerrick log and training plan, she executed a fantastic training plan and as a result, had a great first half marathon. Check out this discussion thread for some insights into how she did it.

Since you're specifically asking for intervals, here's a log entry which has intervals where I paced a first-timer to a 2:06 half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Hi Phil, I ran a HM in 2:05 last Sept. You can look up my log entry with intervals on 9/25/11 if that helps you out any.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi

I have some HMs in that range. Wouldn't encourage you to base anything on the splits in 'em but if you want to take a look, please do! Smile

2:16 last year in 87F

2:18 a few weeks ago after 6 weeks of no training!

A hot 2:10 in 2010

I know you specifically asked for first time but each of these 3 had stoopid circumstances that made it feel like a first time!

Like Andy says - keep asking the questions

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

philipfromga

Thanks everyone.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  With one month left I am working on trying to manage my  goal pace of 9:45 - 10:00 for the whole HM.  If I can just curb that enthusiasm in the first 6 miles so I can finish strong .....

Thanks everyone.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  With one month left I am working on trying to manage my  goal pace of 9:45 - 10:00 for the whole HM.  If I can just curb that enthusiasm in the first 6 miles so I can finish strong .....

Do you use a GPS? It seems like you could use the feedback to slow you down. I've had the same issue as well-what feels good at the beginning of a race isn't necessarily sustainable.

an amazing likeness

...With one month left I am working on trying to manage my  goal pace of 9:45 - 10:00 for the whole HM.  If I can just curb that enthusiasm in the first 6 miles so I can finish strong .....

Phil -- From your log, it looks like you have that 9:45 pace dialed in really well in your "steady state" run entries. From those entries, I'd recommend you aim for right about 9:50 - 10:00/mile for the first 1 to 2--ish miles, then head for 9:40 - 9:45 for the middle section of the run.

If you don't have a means of monitoring your pace with a watch/GPS to curb your enthusiasm, one thing which does work out better than it sounds is to find a partner before the race by wandering around the start area chatting folks up and asking how fast they're going out and you'll probably hit someone you can partner with. That or make your self stay on your target pace and pay attention to those around you as the race starts out -- there's usually someone running about the same pace who looks steady and comfortable and you can just follow them -- which also frees you up mentally...all you have to focus on is following them for a few miles until you get into your groove.

(Let us know your goal in the race calendar thread so we can call you 'Awesome Phil from Dawsonville' when you crush it.)

an amazing likeness

Stalked your log, Philip.  Looking good for a shot at 2:00 tomorrow. (well..except for that 85F weather....ugghh!)

Run STRONG.

Good Luck!

I see 1:59:31- Congratulations!

Under 2 hours is terrific!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Amazing finish time Phil! Congratulations. Can't wait to hear all about it. How was your pacing?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Great job! Sub-2 is awesome!!!

philipfromga

Thanks everyone sorry I haven't replied sooner to thank you all.  I finally put the interval time in the workout too. 

I had a couple of 2 fast intervals that and the hilly and too many "one block, turn right, one block turn left" really cause the last couple of laps to be a little bit slower.  Didn't realize how much momentum and pace you lose have to run squares around a small town.  Overall though I am please with the first one, now that that's out of the way on to training to make them easier in the future.  Enjoy you runs and thanks again.