Half Marathon Trainers

I have 24 weeks--training plan? (Read 431 times)

Prince of Fatness

Cheffy, I plugged your 5K time from your log into the McMillan calculator and your 10:20 pace falls into the Tempo range, so yes, you may be running a little fast. Your easy runs should be a minute per mile or so slower. I think it's OK to run on consecutive days, but only if you include easy or recovery runs in the mix. I've actually found that a recovery run the day after a hard run helps me more than it hurts. You get into trouble when you hammer runs on consecutive days. If you're not familiar with the McMillan calculator, you plug your time in from a recent race and it shows you equivalent times for other race distances as well as recommended training paces. I don't treat it as gospel, but it is a good place to start. McMillan Calculator

Not at it at all. 

I appreciate your advice! Thanks so much. I feel it VERY DIFFICULT to slow down. My stupid mentality thinks slow is bad, and fast equals proper running form.... dumb for sure. When I start my run, I feel great, relaxed, hopeful. If I look at the garmin, it says that my pace is around 9:45 for the first mile. Then, I get progressively slower as the run wears on, and wears on me.... Angry I am scheduled to do 3.5 miles this evening, and I will REALLY TRY to keep it very slow, and see how I do. My shins are not happy right now, as they are feeling the effects of increasing mileage, and I ran some small hills in my 2 miler yesterday, but I will foam roll my calves, suck it up and get out there.... Support of this forum is priceless. It keeps me highly motivated to reach my goals, and I thank you all so much! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Take a day (or two) to get your shins back in shape. On your next run, do half a mile at 12 min/mile, then stop, stretch, walk for a minute and get started again, at the right pace. It's tough to start out fast with no warmup. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

I feel it VERY DIFFICULT to slow down. My stupid mentality thinks slow is bad, and fast equals proper running form.... dumb for sure.
          That's me a little over a year ago. It finally caught up to me early last year when I tore a hamstring tendon. So I started posting on CoolRunning (RIP) and caught on to the idea that every run has a purpose, even if it's easy. I've been injury free for about 8 months or so. It set me back a bit, but I believe that the injury actually made me a better, and smarter, runner. Just be patient .... You'll get there.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It really is good to learn to go slow NOW, because it will be hard to run long distances if you don't. That's why I couldn't make 9 1/2 miles last week - I had to walk after 8. So Tuesday I MADE myself go slowly, and I made it 9.6. What a great feeling!
              I ran last night for a scheduled 3.5 mile run. I ran at a 12:00 mile pace per my suggested training pace rate. HOLY SHIT! The BEST RUN i have had in WEEKS!! Shocked To help with the pace, I downloaded a podrunner podcast set for my BPM, and the entire run, never winded once. Felt like i could have given a speech i was so comfortable. Shins? GREAT. almost like my legs were going WTF? you are not going to beat us to oblivion this time? You know, sometimes you just feel like a complete Idiot when you finally have a Breakthrough like I had last night. IF I had not got onto this training forum, I would still be struggling, and not enjoying runs like I had last night. Hub went out with me, he had a planned 5 miler, and he remarked on how " Happy" I looked after my run, and I said " Yup, it's easy to be happy when you don't hurt, and you feel like you GET it..." Hugs to all of you for your amazing help with this! One More Question: I cannot find a 5k race around anywhere when I am planned to run one per plan. I found one the Week before though. Do you think it's okay to run it sooner or later than plan? Thanks, Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Maybe the reason I'm having trouble building mileage is that I can't seem to slow down. I had no trouble running my 5k race whatsoever, but I can't seem to break through to go even 4 miles. It already feels like I'm going slow at 9:30-10:00 mm. I think it would feel like walking to go any more slowly. I will give it a shot, though.
                ohanapecosh

Hi all - I just wanted to jump in and recommend the Coolrunning plans: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml I did the Beginning and Intermediate plans for my two half marathons. When the mileage was too much, I'd just shorten a run or omit a run, but in general I found it helpful to work to a written schedule, and I liked the day-to-day variety of the CR plans.
                    Maybe the reason I'm having trouble building mileage is that I can't seem to slow down. I had no trouble running my 5k race whatsoever, but I can't seem to break through to go even 4 miles. It already feels like I'm going slow at 9:30-10:00 mm. I think it would feel like walking to go any more slowly. I will give it a shot, though.
                    no wonder you are finding it hard to get to 4 miles - you are basically going not much slower than race pace on your runs. aim for 11.30 - 12 min miles. build your mileage at that pace and over the next 6 months (and beyond) your pace will come tumbling down. if you try to build mileage at your current pace then you'll find it very hard indeed but more importantly you wont make it to 6 months without injuring yourself.
                      Mandy--thanks. I definitely don't want to burn out or get hurt. I will MAKE myself slow down.

Prince of Fatness

I cannot find a 5k race around anywhere when I am planned to run one per plan. I found one the Week before though. Do you think it's okay to run it sooner or later than plan?
                        Glad you had a good run. To answer your question I don't think a week makes much of a difference. Just make sure you allow time for recovery after the race.

Not at it at all. 

I did it--I slowed down, and I really could have kept going. It never even crossed my mind to take a walk break, either. I will say, though, that it felt really awkward in the beginning. I did get used to it. Thanks to everyone who told me to take it slow!
                            well done!! Smile fantastic news