Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - March 2012 (Read 585 times)

vegefrog

Matt sorry you are having such a tough time right now. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right? I was told that the slumps and down periods make us way more appreciative of the good runs. Hope that injury goes away and you can get back to your routine!

Sounds like a great trip Bubbles! The running you did there should have helped you acclimate to the temps we are having now in the states! It's full blown summer here in the south. This weekend will be our second beach weekend...usually we don't start going until April. I'm not complaining...except for when I'm running, LOL.

Smilethen I dream of cooler days...

Oh man, now I really want to go back to Puerto Rico.

I'm officially cleared to run now!  I picked up custom orthotics last week to help with my pronation, and bought new fancy neutral shoes to go with them today.  Only did a couple of blocks of test running, and felt generally ok but had a bit of a twinge in my lower left leg afterwards.  The pain wasn't where I had the swelling or stress fracture, so I'm hoping that's just my legs going "oh, what are you doing to us!?" as I start up again.  Regardless I intend to take it pretty slow and run by feel the next couple weeks.

School gets out tomorrow and I'm heading off with the family to a week in Arizona near the Grand Canyon!  I'm super excited since I've really wanted to see it for a while.  There are also supposed to be some nice trails near there... Smile

Keep on keeping on folks.  Bubbles, good luck on your upcoming HM.  Matt, good luck on the recovery.  I know firsthand how bad it feels to keep yourself from running but I can't say enough how much you don't want to push it.  I'm hopeful I'll be able to start again now since I took two months COMPLETELY off after feeling the first signs of pain, but the star of our XC and track teams was out for 6 months because he just kept running through the pain he was having.  Turned out he had a stress fracture in his femur!  So if you're feeling even the slightest twinge before your HM in a month I wouldn't do it.  It sucks to forfeit the money and DNS, but that's much better than a DNF or a longer-term injury.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I'm officially cleared to run now!  

One of the best sentences there is.

also: official screen name change. I'm fully transitioned out of the hydrogen game now, so no more h2bubbles.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ran my first mile in 8 weeks on the treadmill today and felt good.  I went slowly and got a bit of a cramp halfway through (I've gained some weight since I stopped running) and felt really stiff but I guess that's to be expected.  Here's to recovery for everyone in the month ahead!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Kevin, I believe you're next up. How's the training going?

vegefrog

Redrunner how was your run on the 25th??

Good luck on your upcoming half Kevin!

Kevin, I believe you're next up. How's the training going?

Yep, Sunday is coming up quick. Very excited and wish it would just get here already.

Training went very well (I think). Got in all my long runs, lots of hills (which will come in handy for this race), and workouts were solid. Biggest block to hurdle will be managing pace (i.e. not starting too fast - even in workouts that's something I tend to do, and need to wrap my head around). Based on the work I've put in, I'm hoping for a 1:25, but we'll see what race day brings, cause you just never know.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                Brian.001

Hello All,

I am a new member to this site, though I have been browsing through for a few weeks now.  I used to read the forums on letsrun.  I was ready to give up on attempting to socialize with other runners after a few weeks of reading through that site.  They make you feel that if you can not run a 5:00 mile, you should give running up. 

The support everybody on this site shows towards each other is commendable.  No matter if you run 7:00 miles or 15:00 miles, you are doing something 95% of the rest of the people in the world secretly wish they could be.  This is what running forums were meant to be.  Reading your comments actually helped motivate me even more for my past half-marathon. 

I have completed 3 half-marathons in the 2 years since I have started running consistently.  I have improved with each race and can not wait to see where my training takes me.

-Brian

vegefrog

Welcome to the group Brian!!

I have found this group to be really supportive, even more so then the main forums.

3 Half marathons makes you a pro in my book Smile I'll be doing my second in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it.

an amazing likeness

I am a new member to this site, though I have been browsing through for a few weeks now.  I used to read the forums on letsrun.  I was ready to give up on attempting to socialize with other runners after a few weeks of reading through that site.  They make you feel that if you can not run a 5:00 mile, you should give running up. 

The support everybody on this site shows towards each other is commendable.  No matter if you run 7:00 miles or 15:00 miles, you are doing something 95% of the rest of the people in the world secretly wish they could be.  This is what running forums were meant to be.  Reading your comments actually helped motivate me even more for my past half-marathon. 

I have completed 3 half-marathons in the 2 years since I have started running consistently.  I have improved with each race and can not wait to see where my training takes me.

-Brian

Welcome Brian !

Yeah letsrun.com seems a bit....well, let's say "focused". Jump in and let us know what you're up to with your running, training, racing plans (if any). 

One of the best things to do here on RunningAhead is the make your running log public and share your advice, and ask for advice -- we all benefit from the input and suggestions.  (Actually, that's the real core essence of RA, its a running log site with discussions as an aside to support the log...)

If you haven't, check out Matt's Welcome up top in the sticky posting.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hello Brian!

Yes, MT has it right -  lots of helpful advice and yes - motivation!!!

I'm having my best running month since Sept which was leading up to my 1st half. This site definitely gets me moving when I need it. I logged on today, cause I want/need to run, but lack that special something to get me out the door. So now I'm ready to go....

Welcome Brian! I second everything MT said.

Kevin-

good luck. I've followed your log-I think your goal is well within reason. I look forward to seeing your report.

Alex-

how's the recovery going?

Thanks for asking Peter - it's going slowly, unfortunately.  I've done a few slow run/walk intervals on the treadmill this week.  Luckily I don't think I've lost a huge amount aerobically, but I've felt very stiff in the achilles region and after each run my shins become sore to press on.  The last day and a half I've been favoring my right leg which originally had the stress fracture, so I haven't tried to run.  The thing I'm most worried about is that my shins are still sore when I press, even though it's been 2 months since I got the MRI which showed the swelling.

I feel a little positive though since I've had no particular pain when running, only stiffness.  I'm walking normally now so I'm hoping I just landed funny and the limping wasn't a recurrence of the stress fracture.  I'll be taking it easy the next few weeks and seeing how I feel.  The 10-miler on April 22nd is out of the question but I may be ready to transfer and run the 5k instead.

an amazing likeness

Summing up March...

- One (major hilly) half marathon;

- 188 miles total logged, about 20 less than last year.

- what stands out for me is the weather, with everything from 20F and and 70Fs, and the wind --- it was a tough month to stay consistent.

- had some days off due to GI distress/flu

- finally starting to have some light return to daily runs, so soon can move to different routes.

All in all, a not much to report. Looking forward to April and getting out in the light and running different routes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.