Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - April 27 & 28 (Read 19 times)

an amazing likeness

Late April and for those of us in northern parts, winter seems determined keep its grip as we've dealt with March-like weather for the last few weeks -- snow, rain and 40F swings in temp from day to day. I optimistically gathered all my winter running gear into a pile for one last wash before storing it until fall, and for the last week have been re-using most of it.  But...there are signs of change...the days have grown longer and evening runs now start in the fading sunlight. Just last night I ran by a star magnolia in early bloom and had to stop and just stare for a moment.

Wow. A mega huge set of entries on our race calendar for this weekend with 8 HM and a marathon entries. Of note are kimbur96, Philliefan33 and Lauren710 all toeing the line in their first half marathon.  Not sure how many remain active here in our group -- but good luck wishes to all for your first of many half marathons -- it's a great race distance, enjoy it.  redleaf will be running a unique course, a Formula 1 race track on a man-made island in the St Lawrence river created when Montreal dug their subway for the 1976 Olympics (yes, I'm that old...). And MrRipper is laying it on the line for a PR attempt in Nashville -- always like to see folks declare the goal and shoot for it!

Apr 27 jaxn Country Music Half Nashville, TN  
    Apr 27 MrRipper Country Music Half Nashvegas, TN PR attempt!
    Apr 27 buchy2009 Country Music Marathon Nashville, TN  
    Apr 27 bpink76 Ocean City Half Ocean City, MD  
    Apr 27 kimbur96 Verrazano Festival Half Brooklyn, NY 1st HM
    Apr 28 Philliefan33 St Luke's Half Allentown, PA 1st HM
    Apr 28 Lauren710 Wallis Sands Half Rye, NH 1st HM
    Apr 28 CeeDotA Eugene Half Eugene, OR  
    Apr 28 redleaf Scotia Bank Half Montreal, QC  

Pin those bibs on racers, trust your training and don't let your mind limit what your body is ready to accomplish. Good luck!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Snickers1230

Good luck to everyone running halves this weekend!  And to buchy2009 in your marathon!

I guess I didn't put it on the calendar, but I am running a measly 10k on Saturday Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

redleaf

Ha! It hadn't occurred to me that it was on the track! cool

oh and I love the typo on my name - some days I definitely feel like lead

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Good luck everyone!

I am not active on RA forums much these days because I am so swamped with work, but looking forward to a great race Saturday.

bunchy2009, after I finish the half, I will be cheering you (and other full runners) on at mile 19.2 (aka, my front yard). MrRipper, you are welcome to join our party too (my house is about a mile from the finish).

Good luck to all the racers!

--

Nashville, TN

redleaf

Oh and I missed this part:

good luck everyone - fleet feet!

HF #4362

I hope everyone has a great race!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Philliefan33

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guarantee you that I set a PR on Sunday Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Run Margo Run  !!!!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guarantee you that I set a PR on Sunday Wink

Results from the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville.  The weather was pretty bad, raining and cold all day.  I certainly didn't mind the cold, but I wasn't prepared for any swimming.  Okay, so I didn't *actually* need to swim, but there was flowing water on parts of the course which didn't compliment a hilly race.  On one downhill after a water stop, I paced myself with the line of water cups flowing down a rivulet.

All that said, once the suffering began, I pretty much forgot about the rain.  It started really rough for me with some early cramping, but I felt like I got stronger as the race wore on and I warmed up.  This is my first race with anything remotely resembling hills, but they were not too harsh and made the course interesting in the midst of the downpour.  Somehow I ran a decent negative split and came in with a huge nearly 2 minute PR!  I can't be happier with this after only being back from a 6 month layoff for 15 weeks.

P.S.  My first trip to Nashville, which turns out to be a very nice town to visit.  Not huge excitement, but lots of fun.  The race list says "Nashvegas".  Now that would be a really interesting place to visit.

Date:  04/27/2013

Race:  Country Music Half Marathon

Time:  1:46:30  (PR!)

an amazing likeness

Looking for results from racers...I have:

MrRipper  ==> 1:46:30 (PR!)

Philliefan33 == >2:26:28 (PR!)

redleaf   ==> 2:47:28

Others....if you've got 'em post 'em, or if you know 'em for someone else, post 'em. Thanks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Looking for results from racers...I have:

MrRipper  ==> 1:46:30 (PR!)

Philliefan33 == >2:26:28 (PR!)

redleaf   ==> 2:47:28

Others....if you've got 'em post 'em, or if you know 'em for someone else, post 'em. Thanks.

Mine is actually a PR too!

HF #4362