Half Marathon Trainers

November- still training, still racing. (Read 487 times)

I apologise for not keeping an eye on the race reports thread- some great races and very interesting reports to read- well done!

Have blown the last few days, busy at work, visiting my son, eating loads of chocolate and 10 small bags of chips to help out last night, now feel bloated and lazy. I am starting to find I need to get a good night`s sleep to run decently, anyone else noticed anything like that?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Should have added- Dean (almostreal555) is showing on his log that he ran a sub 60 minute time for his end of October 10k.

Tell us about it, Dean.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

i started my "recovery" from Auckland Half with a 20:53 at the 5km series I do the day after.  Not too bad huh?  But today is definitely a day off!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

an amazing likeness

Year is slowly winding down for me into what I call 'just logging miles'.  I've got one more half marathon on my calendar, one week away (14 Nov), and might do a local 10K this coming Sunday to try and improve leg turnover.

I'm trying something a little different going into this half from my past year's training -- in my past I've been training for marathons and used the half as a pace test -- I'm working on more "speed" work these last two weeks to see if I can get some pace back into my legs.  Have to balance carefully between the pounding of intervals and what my body can handle at this time in recovering....so we'll see.  I'm assuming that adding more miles now won't really add much endurance, the base I have now is in the bank, as they say.

Not sure what I'll do in the second half of November as winter sets in...I'm not usually a big planner. I just head out most days and plod out some miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I am off hiking this weekend training for the last point on my goals list. . Feels so good!!! 

Will keep running the 5km series and just running during the week as i feel like it proabaly to the 100km/ month level for Nov/ Dec.  Over the next couple of months I will make the decision whether to do a full marathon next year.  I am thinking maybe Auckland as i would like a full hiking season before settling into a training programme over the winter for a marathon/ half..  The first half of the Auckland course is hilly but that could favour me in keeping the pace down for the first half and a late Oct race would suit this..  However will be researching other options.  Not 100% decided yet

I wouldnt run it just to finish.  I would be targeting 3:30 so would involve a lot of dedication and work!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Considering where you were a year ago, Milktruck, any running you can manage goes in the WIN column.

Strong target, Vino, you will need some steady training dfor that, but clearly youare planning well ahead.

Ran trails today, 5 miles to the forest, 5 miles of trails, 5 miles home. Crossing streams, up and down steep hills, over rocks and fallen tree trunks, very different, and a nice change.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

yeah, not totally decided that I will do a full. i'm not putting any pressure on my self. see how i feel in a couple of months

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

I am having a bit of a low mileage week, but was quite pleased with a run on a hilly 8 mile loop where I averaged 5:07

per km, or about 8:11 per mile.

Hoping to drag myself through a long run tomorrow, will try using gels for the first time in a couple of years. Next brun after that «i will try Clif Bloks or Sports Beans and see what works best for me.

Anyone tried these things have a preference?

Hey folks

Great to read the posts! Keep 'em coming.

When I took over from Larry as administrator of this group I promised him that I would not let it go and walk away without handing it over.

While I am not walking away, I've got to face facts that this current job and associated relo has reduced my online presence (and training schedule) to a fraction of what it used to be. I am just not in the best position to continue to administer this group.

Looking for someone a little more regular right now to take over the mantle?

There really is not that much too it but being around the board more regularly than I can be right now is a must.

Drop me a reply or PM if you are interested.

Take care out there folks.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
                    1) Run more than 231 miles
                    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Loves the outdoors

Well I ran my longest ever race last weekend. The Rimutaka Incline Trail race of ~18km. The longest race I've ever done previously was a 10km, so it felt like a big jump in distance so I was pretty nervous. My long runs have also only just been breaking the hour recently as I've been building back up, so I was doubly nervous.

Well it went great! I finished well and felt great for the entire race except the last 2km, where I was ok but definitely keen to cross the finish. It was a fun course, with the first 11.5km uphill on a gentle rail trail incline, then a steepish track downhill, finishing with 2.5km along the flat. All the way running through old railway tunnels. I really loved this race and felt like a "proper" runner for the first time. I am really looking forward to my first half in Feb now!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Congratulations NZrun, that is a big jump in distance.

Matt, sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to find the time- I would likely be in the same situation, so cannot offer to help right now.

Missed my long run this weekend as my wife had a medical problem which required precautionary hospital visit anf several tests. Turned out to be breathing related not cardiac but further testing continues to find cause and suitable treatment. Fortunately not an acute problem.

A bit low on fluids after my 17km (10.5 mile) run today I weighed 149lbs when I got home- a number I have not seen on the scale in more than 40 years! After water and some food I am back to a more normal 153lbs.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

nice effort nzrun!! sounds a good run!

I havent run much lately, certainly troughing a bit! but at least when i look back i see i peaked pretty much when i wanted to!  I managed to keep a massive 22 second gap between me and my 11yo daughter at the 5km club race on Monday.   My days of reign are limited me feels!!

Its getting hot here now....

Did my first big hike for the season last weekend which i rated as a lot harder work than a half marathon

Will keep the odd 5-10km run going as often as I can till the end of the year but end of year events etc I let intrude

Come Feb/March I will get bafck into it more seriously

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Hey everyone!  I have been a little silent lately.......been really crazy busy at work.  After my last goal race in mid October, I have taking it down a notch.......down to 18 to 20 mpw, which is a nice break.  I think I will maintain that through the winter and see where things come out in the spring. 

Today is a very exciting day, though........today I reached my final goal I set for 2010.  I achieved all the ones I set out for this year.....

✔ Jan 17 - AZ R&R HM, PR...1:55:21
                            ✔ Mar 20 - Moab Canyonlands HM, PR...1:52:15
                            ✔ May 16 - Denver/Colfax HM, PR...1:50:10
                            ✔ May 31 - Bolder Boulder 10k, PR...50:47
                            ✔ Aug 14 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs HM...Suuuucked!!
                            ✔ Aug 27 - Hood to Coast...what an absolute BLAST!!!
                            ✔ Oct. 17 - Denver Rock & Roll HM...1:50:37
                            ✔ Nov. 21 - Achieved final goal of 1000 miles run in 2010.

I must say, this has been an extremely satisfying year in my running career.......so much so, that I don't even know where to begin to set goals for next year.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe end to 2010.

Cheers!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Congratulations, Sean, you have a bit of time before Jan. 1st.  to come up with some worthy goals.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Today is a very exciting day, though........today I reached my final goal I set for 2010.  I achieved all the ones I set out for this year.....

Oh dear.  Looks like I am gonna have to settle with 2/5 Cry

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: