Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

an amazing likeness

Welcome to September!  Congratulations, you've made it through August. Wink

Got any goals for the month?  Some folks have their goal races right around the corner....so how's the training going?

Hot (80F) and steamy here in New England the past few days, pretty unusual for late summer. I've been trying to pound some miles into my legs before moving into more speed work for a goal 10K mid-month, but haven't been able to do any long runs, just local stuff to keep near water fountains, taking breaks and still getting wiped out by the heat.

Happy Labor / Labour day wishes to all, enjoy the fruits of your labor/labour -- training miles and all that work brings to you.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

This could be a bit long, so bear with me. I haven't been posting like I've wanted to, and I have a lot of info to share. First and foremost, I want to say thank you for this group. The wisdom and experience is outstanding and so helpful.

I did a 7.5 mile LR last night after working through a tuff yard sale for the past couple of days. I'm glad to report, that we made a little money, and the rest will be donated to my church. I ended the week with 25.61 miles, and ended the month of August with 84.39, compared to July, which was 48.73. My foot is really getting better, finally! It is still sore from time to time, but doesn't hurt and is not painful like it used to be. PF is a tuff injury to come back from, because it takes so long to heal. I think the night splint has given the best "bang for the buck".

I've kind of re evaluated my fall goals a bit, and wanted to share. Initially I was going to run 3 halves, with the Oct one being the goal race, and to use the others as training runs. Then try to survive a Dec marathon with a 4:10 goal. Since I've been dealing with PF all summer and my mileage is reduced, speed has gone down the tubes along with my endurance to hold my aim paces, I've decided to drop the Sept half. I'm not going to race the Oct half but I plan to do my best under the given circumstances, who knows, I might surprise myself. I was wanting to cut another 3-4 minutes from my half PR of 1:51:33. The Nov half might be too close for an all out effort so close to the Dec full. And now I just hope to make the full in 4:45. So with all that being said, here are my goals. Following that is an update on my colon cancer bout from a year ago.

I have a few goals for the month;

1. Get my mileage back over 100, with 115-120 being better.

2. Cover the 13.1 distance in training, and then some.

3. Regain a little of my speed and endurance since dealing with PF.

4. Not to have another surgery(see below).

I have been dealing with Crohn's Disease for over 25 years and taking the same meds. My worst symptoms are having bowel restrictions caused by wall thickening, for which I take a lot of stool softeners and laxatives, "to keep me moving". One year ago on August 14th, a tumor was found near one of the restrictions, which ended up being cancer. I had a complete resection of my colon, and was back running in 3 weeks. I was to have a one year colonoscopy as my first checkup.

So the update goes like this; during the colonoscopy, my colon, or large intestine, was completely clean, cancer free for one year, yea. But a new restriction was found in the small intestine, right where it joins the large intestine. All my previous restrictions have been in the large intestine, so I was immediately sent for a CT scan to see what was beyond the restriction. The CT Scan was inconclusive as to whether or not something significant(cancer) was beyond the restriction. I'm being referred back to the surgeon to see if I'm a candidate to have surgery to open the restriction and see what's beyond it. If it were not for the colon cancer a year ago, I would be treated with meds until complications warranted more evasive action. He changed my meds to something more directed at the small intestine instead of the meds I've been taking for 25 years that were focused on my colon. There is greater than a 50% chance I will have/need surgery within the next 5 years, it's just a matter of when. We are pulling the minds together to come up with a treatment plan on how to approach this. The doctor would like to "see" what's in there, but he doesn't have access to the new scopes that are designed to look all the way through the small intestines. There are a couple of facilities here close to us, but don't know if I can be referred there, or even if my insurance will cover. I hope to see the surgeon within a week, then back to the GI doctor for another consult. Stay tuned, and in the meantime, run......

Mitch

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mitch, it always amazes me when I read stories on RA about runners like you who have battled such big things and got right back to running. I shouldn't be surprised you are going to beat that PF! Your plan sounds good!

I'm glad it's September. I've had a poorer than planned summer for training, mostly due to uncooperative heat that screwed up some of my training miles. I'm going to try not to freak out about what is done and focus on moving forward. My goal race is next Sunday. My training paces this summer are faster than last summer's training paces so I'm hoping that my race will still be alright even with the reduced mileage. The temps have backed off the really hot this weekend so hopefully next weekend will be good run weather too. So I've got the race next weekend and a 10K the first Saturday in October. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

Ah, September.  Back to racing for me!  I'm going to attempt to PR in a 5K mid-month, and a 10K at the end of the month.  Both of my PRs are from 2012, so I feel like I want to test them a bit.  Plus we're still far enough out from my Nov half (the real goal of my training) that I will have time to recover well.  In August, I added speedwork (once) and a long run back into my routine.  Now I'm going to let the mileage creep up just a tad, maybe 3-5 MPW, give or take.

Milk Truck- Happy labor day to you as well!  Hope Sept. brings the cooler temps you are wishing for!

Mitch- You are a survivor!  We could all learn from your example with the way you face challenges head on, adjust as needed, and get through it!

Meg- Glad you got a good run in!  Good luck next week!

redleaf

Mitch, it always amazes me when I read stories on RA about runners like you who have battled such big things and got right back to running. I shouldn't be surprised you are going to beat that PF! Your plan sounds good!

What she said.

My only goal for September really to get back into my consistent running - I was doing well at the beginning but some major stuff happened at work and I reverted to old habits (mostly stress eating and wallowing) it's taken me some time to pull myself out of it and come up with some better strategies for dealing with stress - including running as opposed to the opposite.

So my parents came and picked up Q this morning and I thought "eff it" and went out and did the scheduled run for today. Smile

My half is in a little less than 4 weeks. Still haven't decided on a goal. It's the morning of my friends' wedding (bride is also running!) so it'll also depend on amount of alcohol consumed the night before.

I then have a half to end the year and one to start 2014 - not sure that's the best opportunity for a PR attempt. That's it for my calendar for now.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Mitch

Love the positive attitude and the strength you are displaying.  Keep it up and keep moving.

I always took my health for granted, never once understood being sick and fighting illness's and looking for inner strength. I found myself suffering from depression as a result of all my issues and feeling sorry for myself.  I somehow found the strength to fight off the depression and stopped taking some of my meds the beginning of the year and taking matters more into my own hands and working to get stronger and concentrating on some healthier things in life.  Unfortunately, sometimes things still creep up on me and had a breathing episode last night, but managed my way though it, although got a terrible night’s sleep.

Looking back at August summary, I logged 96 miles.  Damn business trip screwed me up, otherwise I would have easily broken a hundred.  Doesn’t matter, I’m impressed and happy with what I have accomplished.  Still haven’t caught up with all of my June entries yet, so June doesn’t reflect my true mileage, but it’s probably about half of August. It’s amazing what I’ve accomplished in just a few short months.

Its cooler here today (In Rhode Island) with slight rain and I’m heading out shortly for my long run and going to run the actual HM Course.  Should be a good running day, will have to see how my breathing is.  HM is in two weeks, Sunday the 15th.  Need to sit down and actually plan out my runs for the next two weeks (or not)

Tomorrow I’m officially a 60 year old young man.

Happy running for Sept everyone, we should start to see a lot cooler weather.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Successfully completed the course today except for the hill after mile 10, short but steep and knew it would be a problem, as soon as I turned the corner to head up the hill, I could feel how tight my ham strings were, so I immediately backed it down and walked most of the hill.

Overall, not bad for time, pace was 9:21 and I need to get it down to 9:10 for the race, but as we all know, we typically run faster for a race (if we have a good day) so I'm thinking that I'm pretty much where I want to be.

Approx times were:

9:39, 9:21, 9:17, 9:10,9:25, 9:22, 9:27, 9:26, 8:40, 9:12, 10:03, 9:19, 9:04

Yes, 8:40 is correct, I hit the 8 mile mark and said let's push a mile and opened up the stride, call it a mile long Fart lick.

LPH

ashleyww

Meg - good luck next weekend and I hope the weather cooperates.

Larry - Happy birthday!  Congrats on being 60 years young and running circles around some of us youngsters!

As for me, I broke double digits, finally.  10 miles was actually a lot of fun and I was glad to get past that barrier.  It actually ended up being (pace wise) my fastest long run yet, which makes me happy.  The weather cooperated nicely and I ran a point-to-point run, my husband picked me up at the end, which made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere instead of going in one huge circle.

Ashley, congratulations on breaking the double digit mark, the rest is easy from there nothing but a simple 5K, keep up the good work.

Did an easy 5 miler today, at least I thought it was easy ended up being 9:00 pace and the last two miles were back into a very strong wind.

Larry

LPH

hog4life

Ashley, congrats on breaking the 10 mile milestone. Before you know it, you'll be running 10's on a regular basis.

Larry, nice run!

I got 7.6 on Monday night with attempts at doing repeat 800's. I got 3 of them at 8:30 pace, then had to drop to 400's for a couple. Pretty much whipped my behind.

I also did an easy 5 tonight at 9:36 pace. It seems as though things are coming back together.

Zelanie

lph- If you only need to gain 10 seconds to hit race pace, I'd say it's in the bag!

Ashley- Glad your 10 went well!  Double digit land!  I've thought about doing a point-to-point run, but haven't tried it yet.

Mitch- I did one 800 last week and it sucked.  I am not a fan of that distance for reps.  Too long to be over quickly, not long enough that you get to ease off your pace.  Boo!

Me- I did the full track workout with the group tonight.  4 x 1000 at tempo pace, then 6 x 200 at repetition pace.  I honestly didn't think I was going to finish it all, but it felt really good.  Wiped away all the work stress of the day.  Plus I have a RP who is pretty much exactly my pace who was there again.  Feeling better about my 5K after tonight's workout, although maybe that's a false sense of security since it should be quite a bit faster than tempo pace.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Do you know what just tops off this challenging training cycle for me? My Garmin dying with less than 5 days to race day. I've done soft resets, hard resets and I just can't get it to hold a consistent charge for the amount of time I need for the race. I think it's done so I'll be looking at the race expo Friday night for a Fr10 to replace my 305.  I did my last real training run this morning. Now to really work on the mental game. It was a challenging summer of training in crazy heat and while I didn't complete as many of my long miles, I did run. I'm trying to focus on the fact that training is more than the long run even though we all focus a lot on the long run. I know the race course and I run on it often. I can do 13.1.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hi all:

First time poster - I've read many of the posts....hopefully I  can join in for the active fall racing season.

I have just one half under my belt - last may - and I am planning on one on 9/15 in Boston.

Don't have a specific goal time - hoping to feel good and have a good race day.

The last 10 days before a race I get so paranoid about being sick or getting injured.  Every morning I wake up and carefully evaluate how I feel - is that a sore throat?  am I coming down with something?

Same thing about injuries - oh, my hip hurts, did I do something, do I need to see the pt.

Put all that anxiety together with sending my 6 and 8 year old boys off to school and that's my stress for the past few days!

Anyway - just wanted to introduce myself and jump in on this thread.....

Ready, go.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Tara, I can relate. My kids are 6 and 9. My daughter has been starting to show signs of a cold on and off for the last few days and it makes me paranoid about getting sick with the race on Sunday. As if I don't have enough nerves already! Welcome to the group! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

Hi Tara!

after a few crazy days at work I'm not on vacation and looking forward to an early morning run in the Charlottetown harbour. Not sure I brought the right clothes for running in 10c (50f!) weather Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362