Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - January 2010 (Read 700 times)

Just wanted everyone to know, that i have dragged my lazy butt off the couch and been hitting the Treadmill and putting bars on my graph.

Have run three of the last four days and feel pretty decent. Not pushing anything, just getting myself motivated again.  Of course with the runs, comes a half mile warm up and cool down walk and I've been stretching at least 30 minutes as well.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, Larry!  I'm still ahead of the 2000-km pace bunny.  I ran 6 miles on Monday and 6.2 miles yesterday.  I intended to run today, but I had to drive DS14 down to Boston to catch a plane to LA (he gets to go to the national championship football game with my parents).  We had to leave our house at 3:15 am, and I got back around 11 am.  Even after a nap, I was exhausted and decided to wait until tomorrow to run.

Larry - good to hear that your butt's in gear.

Teresa - I'm ahead of my 1500 mile bunny too right now. Keep it up, great job.

Bobby - NIce work on the December mileage. Keep it down... HR that is!

Lu - How do you run, let alone race, in those temps? Texas is in the "grip of an arctic blast" (if you are to believe the Fox Weather Terror Network). Coldest I ran was 21F, for 1 hour, and I thought I was going to be an ice block forever. It's going to get down to a wind-chill of -1F over the next 2 mornings and I am embarrassed to admit that I am going to hit the dreadmill. You rock!

Sean - Welcome. You can do that extra day a week! On advice from MrPH and Larry (they shoulder most of the blame/credit ) I added an extra day a week to my schedule in September after a disastrous 20k race and 3 months later took 5mins off my HM PR. As the learned ones say; Take it easy from a pace and incremental weekly mileage standpoint and you will see the benefits. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Simon - Are you sure that the pain in your ankle is not PF? I am dealing with probably my worst bout of PF in my left foot (after months of denial) and have just ordered "the sock":

Let's see if that does any good. Anyone got any good links for PF excercises? The ones posted in the main forum are mostly old and no longer active?

MrPH/Happy Feet - I got nothing for ya... but Happy New year. Keep Running - stay warm!

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Keeping the butt moving and did 4 miles yesterday. 

How nice for DS to go to the National Game while mom and dad stay at home and perform everyday life things.

Good job, Larry!  I'm still ahead of the 2000-km pace bunny.  I ran 6 miles on Monday and 6.2 miles yesterday.  I intended to run today, but I had to drive DS14 down to Boston to catch a plane to LA (he gets to go to the national championship football game with my parents).  We had to leave our house at 3:15 am, and I got back around 11 am.  Even after a nap, I was exhausted and decided to wait until tomorrow to run.

LPH

No, but if you find any, let the rest of the group know.  They might be good as a preventative exercise rather than a reactive exercise.

Larry

Let's see if that does any good. Anyone got any good links for PF excercises? The ones posted in the main forum are mostly old and no longer active?

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Today I said, "Screw the track," and ran outside in the wind.  Not too cold, 35 degrees, but the wind was bad.  So I decided to run half a mile in one direction and then turn around.  I just went back and forth, so I would never have to head directly into the wind for too long.  I've run over 27 miles in the past 7 days!  I'm quite happy about that.

DS14 just called from California.  He got to meet the President of the University of Texas, who is a friend of my dad.  He's in heaven.  He said it was funny on the airplane yesterday.  The flight attendants were supposed to keep an eye on him since he was an "unaccompanied minor" (airline's policy, not my idea!).  One FA came over, took a look at his 6-foot frame, and said, "We're supposed to babysit YOU?!?"  He's never been to California or seen any kind of football game in person, so this is a big trip!  My parents said he's being very courteous and polite (whew!).  He is my "interesting" child.  Very creative and fun, but you never know what he's going to do next.

Matt, no more problems with the ankle, I ran again tonight quite comfortably. Had done a bit of crosstraining while waiting for it to feel better. I was lucky enough to get YakTrax for Christmas and find they work pretty well unless the snow is deep.

Good job to all of you running in the cold!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Am in GA this week and it looks like I brought the cold weather with me from North TX! Going into the teens with light snow tonight. They'll probably shut down the state in the morning...

No run yesterday due to travel, but got two in today. One, 3.5 mi, on a dreadmill at a to warm gym, the second, 3.7mi, outside in a park near son's house. Much more fun. It started snowing while I was running and I enjoyed it even more!

Matt - being an early morning, mostly in the dark runner, I guess I've gotten used to colder running (not as cold as the others on this forum tho). I have found tho that this year I am layering it up more than last year (first winter running). Have added running pants over leggings some mornings, and 3 shirts and sometimes a wind breaker. Still I haven't had to deal with snow or ice. If I still lived in NH I don't know that I would still be a runner! Would hope I would be tho,

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Well, last night, I ran the furthest on a treadmill that i have ever run, 10.5 miles.  Actually, I ran my usual 5.25 then took a a short break to strectch and rub my calf muscles make a pit stop and back on the treadmill again. 

Of course, it also included another mile of walking and overall a good 30 minutes of stretching. 

Legs feel fine this morning.  Of course I know running on the treadmill is nothing like running outside, but I'm looking at lot at the time I'm running as well and last night it was an hour and 26+ minutes.

Unfortunately, this week is going to be tough to get a run in. I'll manage today, Monday and Tuesday, but then won't have a chance to run again until at least next Sunday.  But hey, I am putting bars on my graph again and the knees still aren't bothering me running or walking, so I'm continuing going forward.

Larry

LPH

Hey, everyone!  Happy Sunday!  I went and did 12 miles this morning at "church"........it is an absolutely gorgeous day today here in Denver.  Feeling strong and am planning 3 miles on Tuesday and 6 miles on Thursday and that will be it until Sunday's race.  I am feeling really, really great and confident I will hit my goal.  Wish me luck.

As for throwing in an extra day per week, I think I will try to do that......it may not be really consistent, but I do think the additional miles will help with my times.  Sounds like most of you have some pretty incredible stories about lots of time being shaved.

Well, have a great week everyone!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Great job Sean.  I'm assuming that the races in your signature are for this year!  I see you have a race in AZ this weekend, where in AZ? 

any ways, good luck with the race and breaking 2:00

Larry

LPH

Yep, Larry, it is this weekend.  I have a nice easy 3 miles on Tuesday.......then 6 miles on Thursday....then a couple of days rest before the race.

The race is the PF Changs Arizona Rock & Roll Marathon and HM.......in Phoenix.  Looks like it is mid 40s at race start and somewhere close to 70 degrees as a high temp that day.  It has been cold here in Denver this fall and winter......not sure how those warm temperatures will affect me.  We'll see.

I feel really great, no injuries, have woked hard this fall.......totally ready and excited.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.  I'll give you all a race report early next week........

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Hope you enjoyed your race, Sean!

My son did a 25km/15+ miles run on Sunday and came back with both water bottles and his electrolyte bottle all frozen into solid blocks of ice!

I am not as tough as he is about cold weather, and don't have winter tights!

Hey folks

15k race for me this weekend. Went to pick up my packet and I am bib #1 (in a field of 2000).

Never been under about #300 before in any race and I wasn't the only one a little surprised.

The lady doing the packet pick-up, while looking down at her list, said:

"Oh!!! You're number one!"

Then after looking up at me said again:

"Oh? You're number one?"

She called across to the guy over the other side of the store to see if there had been an administrative error!

But apparently we're all good, the race hands out the numbers based on when you register (there's no elite field) and I must have been the eager beaver this year! One for the scrap book.

Crappy running this week; PF still there + had some kind of cramping stomach bug for a couple of days which really slowed my training down (by about a min/mile). But am looking at it this way:

This time last year I ran 8 miles between the end of the White Rock Half and this 15k weekend.... and bailed on the race - didn't even pick up the packet.

This year I've logged 142 miles in the same 5 weeks and while I may not be quite in 15k PR form... I'll be out there running and I'll be #1!

Good luck this weekend Sean. 2:00:00 - you can do it.

Good running to the rest of you.

MTA - spelling

2017 Goals
                              1) Run more than 231 miles
                              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Run hard Sean and Matt, and let us know how it goes!