Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - September 2011 (Read 716 times)

Finally the 10 day forecast for Dallas has daytime highs that are under 100F!! We're not there yet but I am being taunted by early morning lows of 69F by mid next week..... I'll believe it when I see it.

September already! Spring/Fall racing starting to ramp up. HMs this month for Houndmom, Meg, Siobhan and Mandy. Hope all your training is going well?

I have a 20k in a few weeks time, fits nicely into the marathon training regimen. looking for a PR there as my 20k PR is 12 mins slower than my HM PR... go figure! Time to straighten that one out. 

Many more racing in October - training's got to be high on the agenda right now. Check in y'all and let us know how you are getting on.

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Pretty sure you can guess my goal for September. I keep hearing the Steinbrenner voice from the Seinfeld where George submits the 'crazy' report: "GETTER BETTER GEORGE!! GET BETTER!!!"

Anyway, if I can run the Oct 2 race, I will (even if it's sub optimal) If I can't, I'll volunteer. Once this stuff happens, we can't change it, just have to look forward. Here's hoping I'm on the road soon.

Good luck to all the September HMs!

MTA: just tried elliptical machine for the first time. Didn't hurt, which is good (actually foot felt better afterwards). Anyway, I'm not very coordinated with those arm thingys. 25 mins on that, then 20 on the bike (which also didn't hurt - yeah!). I might lose a little running fitness, but hopefully not too much overall fitness.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

My big month this month. 8 weeks to go to my first marathon. Big runs <>30km  every weekend this month.

Out for a slow 30.6km tomorrow morning early Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Happy running Sept HMers!

I have just about gotten back on track after the "vacation miss-training" 2 weeks. Today's run felt great! And for the first time ever I felt like a runner. After a couple of hills and 3 miles in, a great song came on my ipod and I just sprinted. It wasn't for long, but that was the sweetest half mile I've ever run. I think I can do this.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Last couple of days my quads are a little more sore than usual. I'm hoping the tiredness is just fighting off the cold my son has and my daughter is getting. I can't afford to get sick. My last two runs were pretty good although a bit slower. I think I need to really focus on what I'm eating for a few days and make sure I'm on track. I switched today's run to tomorrow so my DH could get his run in. (He's at the end of week 2 of C25K and I'm thrilled about that.) My race is 9-11 so I've got three runs to do before I'm into the easy week leading up to race day.

I find myself wondering about at what point you stop making gains towards the upcoming race or at what point your training is basically done and you are just keeping legs loose for race day. I hope I'm explaining that well.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I find myself wondering about at what point you stop making gains towards the upcoming race or at what point your training is basically done and you are just keeping legs loose for race day. I hope I'm explaining that well.

Me too. I have the exact same thought as I look at my last month before race day.

Meg, I just looked back at MattJ's advice for the last week before racing:

11 mi Easy (5mi, 3mi, 3mi) then .... we race!

Meg, I just looked back at MattJ's advice for the last week before racing:

11 mi Easy (5mi, 3mi, 3mi) then .... we race!

Mwaaaaa - we're all doomed if we're using my advice! Wink

Here's my take - bear in mind this is not even advice anymore it is just the crazy Friday afternoon ramblings of a madman.

Training is so incremental in it's impact it is really difficult (particularly for us running rookies) to make the call as to where it stops providing a gain and then beyond that where it starts to negatively impact you. Put on top of that, the case for most of us, that while we train for specific events, we will continue to run once that race is over so even if the training is not specifically helping us for this event... it is still helping us develop as a runner.

So with that in mind, for me the key in the run [sic] up to a race is to do as much training as I can (I think it all helps) without it negatively impacting my race. For a HM that means a regular long run the weekend before and then ramping it down slightly for the week of the race. Very specifically I will try not to run on the day 2 days before the race but then do a really short (2-3 mile) very easy run 24 hours before the race.

That's the long and rambling way of saying - As long as you don't leave yourself gassed for race day I think all the training you can get in (in line with your normal training efforts) is of some benefit.

As ever this is a situation where YMMV - significantly!

• GETTER BETTER KEVIN!! GET BETTER!!!
                  • Vino - are you going to any of the RWC games? (make me jealous!)
                  • LakeRunner - You can do this!
                  • Meg - Stay healthy! (Do Canadians really eat chips/crisps with ketchup?)

12 Mi for me tomorrow AM, then week 2 of FM training is in the bag. Long weekend here in the US this weekend. Have a good one y'all

2017 Goals
                  1) Run more than 231 miles
                  2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Today's run felt great! And for the first time ever I felt like a runner.

Very, very cool!

I had a good August-finally getting back into some good runs after an awful June and July-I ran as much in August as previous two months combined. I'm on my way to the most miles I've run (as an adult) in any given calendar year. In fact, I'm 50 miles from that goal with four months to go.

My race plans have been in serious flux, but it looks like my current 'A' race for the fall will be the Santa Barbara HM on November 12. It looks like my friends will be doing this and if that holds true, I'll commit.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yep, I've eaten my share of ketchup chips. But really, I'd prefer Canadians be known for yummy stuff like butter tarts and nanaimo bars. Yummy!

Well, yesterday I missed my 5 mile run bc my DH needed to get his run in. (He's doing c25k and I dont' want to discourage that at all!) Today there was lightning outside my window just a few minutes ago so not sure on today. 8 tomorrow and 6 Sunday if I do the miles on my training plan.

And I am doing a 2 mile run the day before my race. There's a Friendship Run the Saturday morning of race weekend which is a reallly great, get out to stretch and be with a bunch of runners (and including a great motivational chat by John Stanton).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Good running September runners! 

<h6>one day left of my first week in the anaerobic phase of training. Tuesday's  6x.65 of a mile went great  as did my 13x.25 of a mile on Thursday. Did a PCR run today and I have a 2:18 long run tomorrow. Feeling GREAT!</h6>

Happy running everyone and have a SAFE holiday!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I havent let myself run fast for a long time but the kids club 5km weekly run started tonight. I was never going to be able just to jog it and let familiar faces pass by.

I let myself run steadily but with no surging and no sprint finish as I don't want any strains or niggles limiting me on my big milage month.  Managed to hit 20:37 at 95% effort. It was very pleasing and the legs feel fine afterward too.

So it appears I have gained back some speed with all my long slow training. "To run fast you have to run far. To run far you have to run slow".  Seems I am perhaps starting to see this come to fruition.

My new pair of New Balance 890's seem to be helping too, they are red so that must be worth a minute over 5km Big grin

Nice work at NZ Road Relay Champs by Mandy 1st place in Grade.Smile  Pakuranga Junior Girls team did really well getting 3rd in their grade. Some future talent in that team.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Hi guys!

Matt, we don`t dip the chips, the flavour is already in them.

Lakerunner, glad you had such a great run, hope there are many more to come!

We have had some cool weather the last few days, which has been great for running, I am once again trying to get started on a path of building up a base for spring races. My son has been doing a lot of hills and long runs to prepare for ultras-   mostly the Sulphur Springs 100 and Creemore, possibly some U.S. races in the future.  Speaking of ultras its nice to see Rockenmama here! Are you preparing for some shorter events- you mention speedwork in your post.

Congrats to Mandy!

Nice time for the 5k, Vino, at full race effort 20 minutes should be in the bag.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

For the first time ever I have clocked up over 100km in a 7 day stretch. Big grin  Feeling it a bit this morning though...gonna be a lot of slow easy running for next few days!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

HappyFeat

GOOD LUCK MEG! RUN FAST AND STRONG!

Here's your cheering squad since we can't be there. Imagine it's us

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.