Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - September 2011 (Read 716 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Happyfeat!

Old half PR: 2:35:25

New half PR: 2:28:44

Huge improvement. I'm really happy although I did have a bit of a breakdown in the last mile when I wasn't sure I could keep running. I found it somewhere and got to the finish. My husband and our kids were able to come out to see me on the route and be there at the finish which was great! Smile

Next race on October 01 and it's 10K. (I took 2.5 minutes off my 10K in the spring, so now that I've dropped almost 7 minutes on this half, I'd like to see a new Pr then.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Really happy for you, Meg! Your training paid off.  Very well done!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Wow Meg! Well done. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Great effort Meg. it's funny aye, even with all the training in the world when you are pushing your limits you still need to dig deep and have the desire to suceed and ability to hurt for a bit to reach a goal.

Well done

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great effort Meg. it's funny aye, even with all the training in the world when you are pushing your limits you still need to dig deep and have the desire to suceed and ability to hurt for a bit to reach a goal.

Well done

This is so true. I think was finally got me through was that I really really had to beat the pace bunny I had run the race with. I told her "Allison, I'm coming for you" because she was maybe 25 feet ahead and I just pushed all the way to the finish line!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

Old half PR: 2:35:25

New half PR: 2:28:44

Huge improvement. I'm really happy although I did have a bit of a breakdown in the last mile when I wasn't sure I could keep running. I found it somewhere and got to the finish. My husband and our kids were able to come out to see me on the route and be there at the finish which was great! Smile

Next race on October 01 and it's 10K. (I took 2.5 minutes off my 10K in the spring, so now that I've dropped almost 7 minutes on this half, I'd like to see a new Pr then.)

Way to go, Meg !!  

Wow, you knocked a huge hunk off your PR. Wow.  Hope you feel amazing satisfaction about all the hard work you put into getting this done. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Meg - Awesome! Great to see your training and dedication pay off. Fantastic result, way to hang in there at the end.

Houndmom, if you are out there how did your race go on Sept 4th?

Kevin - How are you feeling this week?

I raced an armadillo this morning.There are a couple of places on my routes where there is a small strip of grass between the sidewalk and a residential garden wall. Several of these sections run for 100+ yrds (meters) without any gap in the wall. This morning, as I passed one of these sections an armadillo shot out of one of the bushes in the same direction I was running, he suddenly found himself doing about 9:30/mile between me and the wall. Either he was too scared to stop or he just wanted to race, because we kept running, side by side, for about 35 yards. I slowed half a step and he took the opportunity to shoot straight across my feet and out across the road into a field - fortunately for him, no cars at 6am! Smile

I am used to seeing armadillos here in TX but that's the first time I have raced one! Bizarre situation!

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Well done, Meg.

Matt, thanks for asking. Short answer is, the foot is still not right. Better than it was, but no where near "healthy". Hanging my hopes on "better than it was" though, and hoping that's a trend that'll continue...Oct 2 still a big question mark as to whether I'll run it.

Armadillo intervals...nice.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Nice run, Meg!

7 minutes is a good margin and your determination to run hard at the end must be very satisfying. I always think that is a big factor- it seems like a really bad idea to me to waste all that training on a poor effort.

Congratulations.

Nice armadillo story, Matt.

I have been away on holiday for a week, ran four times but ate too much, and a lot of rich food. I did get my DW to do quite a bit of walking though, which is good. And we enjoyed ourselves!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks. I'm now suffering the week after a major race blahs. I took a couple of days off after the race, ran Wednesday and the last two days I've been dragging. Sad

Anyone racing this weekend?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Anyone racing this weekend?

I am - I did - I have! Me! Me! Me! Wink

20k in Dallas - not great but not as bad as 2 years ago.I consider this a tough course

This year I ran 1:54:46 (unofficial) my old 20k PR was 2:05:54 so I guess I took 11 mins off that.

My 20k PR is still higher than my HM PR by 2 mins Confused

Will try and post a race report later tonight.

Good weekend running to you all.

2017 Goals

Posted a race report here

I ache right now and am fearful of next week's post race blah too Meg...

I have a training plan to stick to but am notorious for that happening to me. We'll see.

2017 Goals

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Oh I am so so looking forward to my post race blah Big grin

It will involve me using my increased aeorbic fitness to tune up for a tilt at sub 20 minute 5km

It will involve me going hiking yay!

And more trail running

But milage nothing like I am doing now!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

an amazing likeness

I ache right now and am fearful of next week's post race blah too Meg...

I have a training plan to stick to but am notorious for that happening to me. We'll see.

Geez. I can think of at least one person who offered advice to go hard, but not so hard that you end up all beat up and loose the quality in your runs next week. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Congrats to Meg, Matt (huge PRs) and Vino (100k? nice)!

Matt-I think you can be forgiven the slower time (compared to HM) given that your race was in Dallas in a record hot summer.

Vino-I really wouldn't be surprised if you have sub 20 in you right now.

My running has been going very well. Today I passed my previous 'most miles in a calendar year', obviously with several months to build upon that. I'm pushing 1k miles for the last 52 weeks, as well-I should pass that in the next month if I maintain consistency.