Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - September 2011 (Read 716 times)

Everyone seems off to a fine fall running schedule! Nice run Matt! Meg you have inspired me these past 2 months!

I, however, am getting a bit freaked out by my recent running and upcoming HM (2 weeks). All was going fine until yesterday.  I did two 5 milers in a row Thurs and Friday, and yesterday I was sore all day with niggling left ankle and achilies tightness, knee pains, and overall soreness that I figured I'd need an extra recovery day. I am scheduled for a 10 miler today which is still a possibility, but it seems to be taking longer between runs to recover. I really don't want an injury right now. Maybe because I switched my runs from am to pm (I'm back to work), it just seems to take longer to recover? Today I feel good enough to run, all pains subsided, but am wondering if I should go for 10 or not? I only have 2 weeks left! Am I conveying my panic/anxiety adequately? Advice please? Did I mention I only have 2 weeks left and have only run 10 miles once as my farthest long run? Cursed doubts!

LR - hope this is timely enough for today and apologies upfront for it's brevity. Jotting a quick reply before I have to go out again.

In my opinion, yes you should go out for 10. If you have to stop and walk, then stop and walk but spend the time out there on your feet. If you have to cut it short because you just cant do it then so be it - you're right, you do not want an injury, so listen to your body. Your mantra should be easy-easy-slow-slow... but try and get the long miles in, skip a shorter workout for recovery next week if you have to. Your training is good and does support the 10 you are trying to do.

As for the race-doubts. Go back and look at your log, look at how far you have come - You could do this now, if you had to! Believe in yourself and, in two weeks time - you will do this!

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Lakerunner. You can do this. Your training is solid. I agree with Matt; do your ten miler and just slow down as you need to. At two weeks out, you want the time on your feet. Smile 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks Matt and Meg. I sort of took your advice and did my 10 miles today. It was just not going to happen yesterday - lots of reasons. In the end I'm glad I put it off a day, because it was a solid 10 mile run with just a few short breaks - long enough to drink some water. It would have been very ugly yesterday. My confidence is somewhat restored. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome! I love those runs that really restore confidence!

Last night I made myself a four week training plan (including my 10K race on October 01) to try to get myself back on track with running post-goal-race. In the back of my mind, I know it could get screwed up by weather and by how early it will get dark, but it's making me feel better to have something in mind. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Wow everyone is doing awesome.  I am finding it hard to stay motivated and get my miles up.  I am thinking of signing up for another HM in March figuring that will give me the motivation to keep at it and get serious.  Question - do you guys run everyday when training?  I have done a lot of reading and keep hearing that I should do a couple of days of other types of cardio other than running.  I also train with weights daily.  I am open to all suggestions and very appreciative.

One thing I have learned is you never can know to much....

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow everyone is doing awesome.  I am finding it hard to stay motivated and get my miles up.  I am thinking of signing up for another HM in March figuring that will give me the motivation to keep at it and get serious.  Question - do you guys run everyday when training?  I have done a lot of reading and keep hearing that I should do a couple of days of other types of cardio other than running.  I also train with weights daily.  I am open to all suggestions and very appreciative.

One thing I have learned is you never can know to much....

My last training plan was 5 days a week. (It's visible on my log) and the other two days, I tried to do yoga or stretching although later in the plan I just got too busy and missed some of those days. I think it depends what you are used to and what sort of mileage you want to build to. I was really comfortable with 5 days a week (3 easy, 1 hills, 1 long) and peaking at just over 29 miles. Some people use more days and more mileage.

I'd love to do a Feb or March half but I'm not sure I can get the miles in over the winter to do it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Just to update here...I'm officially a scratch for the Oct 2 race. Foot is getting better daily, but racing 13.1 next week would be a really bad idea. Will start looking for an early spring race (or maybe earlier) once I'm back on a good path.

There's a lesson (for me) in all this mess. Throughout most of this year occassional pains would surface (mild PF, a twinge in one knee or the other, a sore shin, some soreness under metatarsal heads, a tingle in the ankle), and I ran through them all. And it worked out. Pain eventually went away, body adjusted, progress continued. And I made some damn good progress this year, not just accumulating miles, but getting much faster than I've ever been - and that kind of gets addictive. And so, here I was, 8 weeks or so from a big goal half that I was building towards all summer. And...another pain. Some PF in my right foot. But, it wasn't just mild this time - it would wake me up in the middle of the night. It was hard to run on. But I did. Because hell, I've run through it before, and it worked out, and I'm making all this progress (you see where this is going).

Anyway, I ran through it, overcompensated my gait, caused a pinched nerve behind my 3/4 toes, and ended all progress. So, like Kenny says, "know when to walk away, know when to run". Sometimes figuring out that "when" is tough.

But, he also says "every hand's a winner, and every hand's a loser" - so, I'll take this and make the best of it, come back better. Thanks for all the support on the thread - you guys and gals are great.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

My last training plan was 5 days a week. (It's visible on my log) and the other two days, I tried to do yoga or stretching although later in the plan I just got too busy and missed some of those days. I think it depends what you are used to and what sort of mileage you want to build to. I was really comfortable with 5 days a week (3 easy, 1 hills, 1 long) and peaking at just over 29 miles. Some people use more days and more mileage.

I'd love to do a Feb or March half but I'm not sure I can get the miles in over the winter to do it.

Last year I trained inside all winter on the treadmill which totally sucked, but somehow I managed to cut 12 minutes from my time the previous year.  I hate running inside, but I did 2 5k's in December and was so chiled that I decided I was not going to torture myself as I am to old for that and I run because I love it.( I did not want to start hating it)  Besides I am only competing with myself.  I ran 5-6 days when I was training and was okay with it.  Just some days I felt like if I didn't run I was going to lose my base so I never did any other cardio.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Sorry to hear you are a scratch from your goal race, bubbles, thats a shame. `My son once ran with a metatarsal stress fracture and it was not a good idea.

My best half time was run off a 5 day per week plan, (you need days off at my age),  peaking at 50 miles per week and no real cross training except for a little cycling. One thing I feel was very helpful was doing long tempo runs, as much as 10 miles, and doing a couple of 20 mile long runs to build up endurance.

I am not sure I could train that hard again, but it was worth it.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Kevin, sorry to hear that your goal race is off. It's tough, but take care of that injury and only be sidelined for a short time instead of long!

Simon, I can't imagine running that sort of mileage. I'm just not fast enough to have the time to fit in all those miles.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Last week was a very difficult week training. It saw me come in a shy of my milage target. It was one of those weeks with crap weather, busy life and when I did get out the runs were tragic. I felt awful. I cut short my long run for the first time ever I felt so bad!.  It was only a very good 18km on the Sunday that brought my weeks milage in at a semi respectable level.  I did though lose close on 30km of milage that week against plan.

This week though all back on track thankfully.  I ran all seven days and only one of those runs I felt "bad" and finished the week on 93km.  I am very happy.  My 30.6km circuit I ran faster than I ever have before all easy - full convo possible the full way. Cruised it really. Realistically though my "race pace" isn't gonna be much faster - at least for the first 25km

I do have a blister issue on my left foot that I am just going to have to keep an eye on and manage which flared up on Friday.  At the moment it looks managable and is not painful but it may just mean I ease off a little start of this week - I don't want the skin tearing open. It is rather large.

Aside from that little niggle i am feeling pretty good. Less than 5 weeks till race day

There is an organised pre race build up event where I can run 32km this Sunday.  Still deciding whether it is worth dishing out money to run this.  So I will either do that or run alone for my long run this weekend

Keep up the good work folks and Go the All Blacks!

C

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

An average pace of 5;06/km or just over 8mins/ mile for 19 miles is flying! You will do really well on your marathon.

Have watched some of the rugby here, Canada plays Japan today, having lost to France. I should guess South Africa is a tough team, but no doubt the All Blacks will be as strong as ever.

Meg it is hard to put in the time and I found the training very tough, but in the end I was delighted with the result.

My son and his girlfriend just got back from Vuba, so I took an hour this sfternoon to sit on the patio and enjoy a cigar- very relaxing!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Howdy folks

Well, I hate giving updates like this - everything's going pretty good here! I have managed to stick to the training plan 100%, which is a consistency miracle for me. I am on track for September to be second my highest month ever and for 2011 to be my highest mileage year by mid next week. I ran 15miles this weekend (longest I have ever done) and while not vino-esque in my pace I averaged 9:36/mile and felt pretty comfy.This week I shoot for 17 miles at the weekend - bring it on.

There - I've written it all down....fate has been tempted! Just wait for a nice big pot-hole to jump out of the dark and snag my ankle tomorrow morning! DOH! Black eye

LR5 - A spritely 7.5 this weekend. Looking good, no? How's that confidence on the week of the race?

Meg - Looks like you are back from the post race Blahs? You have a 10k this weekend? Can we put in on the race calendar?

Kevin - I'm sorry mate, that absolutely sucks. Great attitude on the back end of a tough situation though I'd draw the line at quoting Kenny! Wink

Vino - You are my inspiration on this marathon kick right now. Way to pound out the miles (or kilometers)! RWC - England look pretty shaky right now, this weekends game against Scotland willbe the real test. All Blacks look fantastic, but don't they always at this stage of the competition? Dominant win against France. If they can handle the pressure, they may just have this one in the bag?

Barbs - Did you sign up for a race yet? I'm training a lot like Simon did. 5 days a week with very little of anything else but running. I have never run every day and am finding that 5/week is a commitment! Let us know what you're up to and keep checking in to let us know how you are getting on.

Mandy - Did you run Pelorus HM? How'd you do?

Keep up the good work HM trainers!

2017 Goals
                              1) Run more than 231 miles
                              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice to hear it's going well for you, Matt! I bet this week will be another great one for you.

For sure add my race to the calendar. Flatlanders 10K. This will be my third time running it; it's a great race by runners for runners. Very well run in a all aspects. I'm curious to see how my half marathon miles this summer will have me do in this race. It would be nice to PR again, but I don't really know if I can or not. I made a training plan for 4 weeks to see if scheduling runs would help. I missed one last week, but doing pretty well shaking off the post run blues. AND we ordered a treadmill yesterday so I will have no excuse for my mileage going into the dirt when it's too cold to run outside this winter. (I'll run in almost anything but it's hard to get much mileage when it's -35*C plus windchill; I run alone and there's no one to tell me I'm getting frostbitten. Wink )

Half Fanatic #9292.