Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - September 2011 (Read 716 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Matt.  AB's may have fallen  last Worlds Cup but really even the pool games then they won pretty easily but they played like rubbish.  This time round generally they have played well. Good feeling so far but we know in tournament play one flat game can be curtains for anyone so although happy I can't say brimming with total confidence

Running:

Well here we go a spanner in the works of my prep. I am injured. Strained lower abs in my fast 5km run last night and I can't run a step this morning. In fact I can't even walk comfortably.  Very very painful.  All I can do is take a couple of days off and reassess but I am highly annoyed.  From what I read this type of injury takes an age to heal also so I am not impressed

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

HappyFeat

I'm happy to report that I did my HM yesterday with a finish time of 2:05, which was 5 minutes faster than my goal time. I was really feeling uncertain about how I would do because my last few weeks of training didn't go according to plan. The months prior must have accomplished something though. It was fun, challenging, and leaves me wanting to get back to training as soon as the soreness goes away! My biggest takeaway from this event was proving to myself  how much I've learned this past year about running hills, managing my pace, paying attention to my posture, and how I use different muscles in running. I felt like I had the tools I needed to try and run faster than usual and not fall apart. It was a very good feeling.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

HappyFeat, that is awesome! Big grin Be very proud of yourself.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat-

congrats on the race and beating your goal and more importantly the feeling afterwards!

Matt-

I learned two value lessons tonight. 1) 100 degrees after dark is still 100 degrees. 2) you're crazy for running in this heat (I've spent 5 nights a week in Texas for a while, but only recently tried running outside).

an amazing likeness

I'm happy to report that I did my HM yesterday with a finish time of 2:05, which was 5 minutes faster than my goal time...The months prior must have accomplished something though.

Way to Go!  The months prior were weeks of steady 30 - 40 miles, you earned those 5 minutes with hard work. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Way to go Happy Feet.  Congrats and be proud of yourself.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Nice work, HF. A fun challenge that you got lessons from about yourself?...doesn't get much better than that.

Vino - needless to say, that stinks, and I hope it's less severe than you think. There's room next to me on the elliptical (folks I've known with ab strains haven't had pain on bike and elliptical, so it may be an option in the meantime if you have access to one).

"Highly annoyed"...I went through all 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance). My wife thinks maybe I'm not quite at the acceptance part. Me watching the weather report this morning: "Oh, lookie there, high of 56 and cloudy on Sunday, that's not perfect PR weather or anything, right?" Her: "Wonder what my PR is for taping your mouth shut?"....yes, it takes a while.

Of course, here's hoping that conversation never happens to you, and the healing is quick. You're putting in some massively good work there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Kevin

Some good progress on the injury over night and I am hoping this is just going to mess with one week of training and not cause me to pull out altogether.  I can walk with only a little discomfort this morning and I am just downing protein shakes and having a spa whenever i can, lots of sleep

Will rest today again completely and reassess tomorrow. I may even think about a short light jog on thurs or friday, just see how it goes. perhaps i will hit a gym for a casual session on bikes etc on friday if I can't run to keep the aerobic fitness up. 4.5 weeks to go hopefully is time to keep my build up mostly on track

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Vino, I hope your recovery continues to be good. Try to be patient (even though that's probably near impossible!). Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I spoke to a very experienced friend today who has run many marathons and ironman races.  He said something like "mate even if you have another 4-5 days off you will be sweet with all your base training".

I am not running today and probably not tomorrow either. Weekend weather not looking too flash but we will see how it goes.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Good luck with the injury, Vino.

Terrific run, Happy Feat,  well done!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

That must have been a great moment at the finish line HappyFeet! Well done!

H2 and Vino, hope you are back up to speed soon.

I am tapering down to my first ever half on Sunday. I keep alternating between thoughts of "What am I thinking trying to run a half?" to "I can do this, I have put in the training, it will be fine." I'm trying to keep the negative thoughts to a minimum and while running, I envision myself running through town towards the finish line. Any words of advice from you veterans of the half would be welcome...

Be aptient and don't worry about the time.  The goal should be to finish.  My first half I started doubting myself about half way and saying myhusband was right I am crazy and I can't do this.  What - stop thinking like that, you trained hard and you can do this, you will not let him be right.  I hate when someone tells me I can't do something.  I just regrouped and thought to myself how good I am going to feel when I cross the finish line.  I still get choked up when I think about it.  It is an awesome time and feeling.  Push the negative thoughts out as quick as they can.  My mantra was "I can do it, I know i can".  The last one I did this year, was emotional and a struggle, I just broke it down into smaller segments and each time I reached it I was okay I got this.  Take all the encouragement you can from the crowd and other runners.

You can do it!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Smile, high five the kids, thank the volunteers, run hard!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Simon has a pretty good list. I will add this. If your race has pace bunnies, try running with the one running your pace. The company can make it easier when you have doubts. Trust your training. You've done the work and you can do this! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.