Half Marathon Trainers

Running in May (Read 20 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I started out my running month on the first with a half marathon. It was 18*C and very sunny. Not at all what had trained in. I had a great first half of the race but fell apart in the second. There are a few things to take from this race.

I will start training for my next half in mid-June, but I'm not overly sure what to do in the meantime. Obviously I'm not going to stop running. Do I let my long run drop down to 7 to 8 miles for the next six weeks? I need to incorporate more of a mid-length run during the week in my next training cycle but should I add that in now? Thoughts?

Good luck this weekend, Marylander! Smile

TD, nice work on blowing past the sub-2 goal. You had minutes to spare! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I've wondered this same thing. I opted for fewer runs, nothing fast, but have been trying to maintain a 10 miler. For short of a marathon, I don't really see the point of really cutting back *except* to reduce mental fatigue, which is really why I cut out my workouts.

Honestly, though, I'm struggling to get back to the consistency I had going before cutting back.

I will start training for my next half in mid-June, but I'm not overly sure what to do in the meantime. Obviously I'm not going to stop running. Do I let my long run drop down to 7 to 8 miles for the next six weeks? I need to incorporate more of a mid-length run during the week in my next training cycle but should I add that in now? Thoughts?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Consistency is not my issue. I can get my runs done but I do agree the mental game of the longer ones can be tough, esp since I am a solo runner.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Marylander

Thanks! Now I just need to keep my brain in check during the race itself. Wink

I plan to keep a 10 miler in the regular rotation plus add in a couple 6-8 milers during the week. This worked awesome for me back in 2011 (although the runs were longer than 6-10 back then). I've found that doing streaks helps me get the work in so I've added a 100 mile/month streak besides the daily streak. I've been consistent in terms of getting out there but no so consistent in terms of weekly or monthly mileage.

This specific streak has saved me lately. I'm on a lifetime high 10 month streak of >=100 miles, and it was the only thing that got me out the door a few times over the last 2 months.

100 mile/month streak

hog4life

Well hello strangers!!! Grab a cup of coffee and grab a seat.

I am not sure how far back to summarize, but I'll try to keep this part short. I had a goal half last Sept, that ended with a severe sprained ankle, and run just seconds from a PR. I had the Detroit Marathon in Oct that was a huge goal, and with reduced mileage after the Sept ankle issue, I was wondering if I would even finish. But I did, and it was one of the best races for me ever, finished in 4:13. I think if I wasn't so relaxed and having so much fun, that I could have broken 4 hours. So fast forward to Nov, and I did another local half, and again, just seconds from a PR. Two minutes with the poo monster at mile 11 cost me the PR! THE NEXT DAY!!!! I went and did 8 miles on the trails in prep for my attempted first 50k at the end of Nov. During the trail run, I felt a pop in my L Achilles. Later that afternoon, I had a golf ball size knot, and couldn't walk without severe pain.

The Achilles was a partial tear, and this kind of scared me. After a couple trips to the doctor, I was able to avoid surgery, or being put into a boot. After this, my days with running changed. I had previously been very hungry to bump up my mileage in hopes to move into ultra running. I still have strong ambitions for this, but I need to re-think my approach. I was clipping along nicely by getting 38-45 miles per week, yet wanted to reach into the 50 mpw range.

I am still running, but only 1-2 days per week. This is not a plan of any sort, I just want to maintain about 10-12 mpw until I get into the fall. I do one run of 5-6 miles, then try to do an 8-10 miler, and just alternate days. I am still very active with my chapter of Ainsley's Angels of America, and I just want to be able to push the kiddos in 5k's and the occasional HM. I pushed with a team of 4 other runners to a 1:58:23 back in April. To push a sub 2 has been one of my goals ever since I started pushing. May 7th will mark our one year anniversary! We have grown to 15 riders, about 90 runners that push, and another 25 or so guardians, or volunteers. We have raised over $17,000, purchased 13 racing chariots, and a large trailer to store and haul everything. We currently have 17 races on the 2016 calendar!

I am still lurking some, and will start posting more as we move into the summer. I have a half in Sept that I plan to push one of the kiddos, then going to push in the Louisiana Marathon Half, and hope to do the Little Rock Marathon. I have my work cut out for me as we move into the summer as I need to get my base miles built back up. I still want to tackle a 50k too, so maybe if I plan a little better, be smarter, I will reach my goals as we move forward.

I want to say thank you to this group, and to give MT a shout out. You and all the folks in this group have been a big part of my life over the past couple years!

For MT, on a side note. How far are you from Holland, Mass? There is a huge Ainsley's Angels race there, that if you aren't too far away, you should check it out! They will have over 50 riders, and some guys pushing sub 20's. I wish it was closer so I could attend.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

HL, good to hear from you. Sounds like a scary injury for sure! Achilles is one of those one off sort of injuries where you do heal up though, isn't it? It's not like an ACL or MCL where you have increased risk of re-injury.  I love hearing you talk about your work with Ainsley's Angels of America; it sounds like a great group and you have such passion for it. Smile

Ran at sunrise this morning with a friend and it was amazing. I'd forgotten how great an early run can be and how much I enjoy running with this particular friend. Mostly I am a solo runner. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erinr

First half of the year is tomorrow.  I just realized it's been 7 months since my last race!   I have no idea how to pace it, so I figure I'll just run by feel the first half of it and see where that gets me.  After the race, I'm going to start base building for an Oct marathon, as well as try to drop a few pounds.  I'm sure that'll be a fun combination...

Meg, that run sounds so nice!  I want to try to start getting up early for runs this summer.

Marylander

I had my half this morning. In spite of no PR (was hoping for sub 2, got 2:01:52) I am pretty pleased in that I hit the effort level that I was shooting for, kept it up consistently throughout, had no mental lapses in the middle, kept the speed up on the hills, crossed the line with very little left in the tank, etc...

It started out cloudy and cool, pretty much perfect, but by a couple miles in the sun was out full blast and the temperature eventually made it up to 64dF/17.8C. I was cooking by the end. I think I have some sunburn. Wink

I think I did what I could and am happy with how I managed the whole thing. I was a bit surprised to see that I got up to 182bpm at the end of one of the hills toward the end. This is pretty close to my max HR. So, I definitely wasn't taking it easy. Wink

Heading out for a Mother's Day meal at a local Cuban joint soon.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hope your race went well, ekat! It was a great early run, but I've only managed one early run. It's hard to change over.

Marylander, that sounds like a win. I'd love to have a race without those mental lapses.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Marylander, that sounds like a great race! I bet you would have gotten the sub 2 without the hills and a bit cooler temps.

I raced an 8k yesterday pushing one of our new chairs. I'll post a pic when I get back to the computer.

Marylander

Thanks y'all. The half was a day early. Today's weather would have been perfect. Temps in the mid 50s and overcast. Such is life! Wink

hog4life

I raced an 8k this weekend pushing to 43:17 with one of these. This thing pushes so easy! I hope we can continue to be successful with our fundraising to get a few more of these.

We just got accepted into one of the largest races here in Huntsville called The Cotton Row Run 10k/5k. This will draw in around 6000-7000 people. Some come from all over the US seeking the big $2500 payout for winning and setting a course record for the 10k. The open male record was set in 1983 at 29:10, and open female was set in 2007 at 33:20. Masters for male and female are 29:38, and 33:34 set in 2000, and 2003.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's pretty cool. I've never seen running carts like that!

And wow, those are some crazy fast times!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Marylander

That running cart is neat. I would be interested in knowing more. I have done some work with handicapped folks myself (my sister is mentally challenged and I have coached for special olympics).