Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers-March 2009 (Read 607 times)

Get well soon, Cheffy! Vixi, try some biking and swimming to keep in shape. I ran a 10k tempo last night, first ruI have done fast in quite a while. Short warmup then 10k in just a few seconds under 50 minutes, so quite happy with that. My legs felt very strong and could easily have gone faster, but my breathing became quite hard near the end, so I will need to do a few more fast runs before I am ready for my half at the end of April. I must do some more hills, too, as I looked at the new route last night, and there are quite a few.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Thanks for the advice for trying to keep my fitness up, Simon. Ran 4 today for the first time. Slow but nice. Everyone else?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Hi all, I'm back from sunny Florida, well some of the days were sunny, at least "ALL" of the ones in Ft Myers, the ones in Lauderdale were overcast and rainy. But I did get 5 runs in, although the ones in Ft Myers were kicking my butt, the humidity was high for me at the moment (remember, I've only been running in cold CT and almost all of those have been inside) so this sunny/warm stuff was something new. But I did want to drop everyone a line and let you know I'm back. I'm actually glad I didn't sign up to run the 5K race in Lauderdale, becasue we didn't get back to our hotel until 2AM and I would have had to be up by 5 for the race. Catch up with everyone later. LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, I can see where the heat and humidity would be hard. I'll be in Austin next week, and I'm wondering how I will do. My parents' neighborhood is very hilly, too! Welcome home!
            Larry and Teresa, I'm a little jealous about the warm and humid runs, I only got one outside run this week so far and the wind off of the ocean was fierce - I'll have to remember not to complain in August. Vixi - glad you're recovering from the toe incident - those rascals. I did my first interval run (3x1 mile) this week to test speed for upcoming 10K in 8 weeks. 9:40 m/m (< 5k pace for me) felt pretty good not so hard, which made me smile. (i just checked - i'll need to run 6 of those to meet my 10k goal - yikes!) i'll try a 3 mile 10:00m/m tempo run next week, with all of my other runs nice and slow 12:30-13:30 m/m. happy friday, a 5k="" pace="" for="" me)="" felt="" pretty="" good="" not="" so="" hard,="" which="" made="" me="" smile.="" (i="" just="" checked="" -="" i'll="" need="" to="" run="" 6="" of="" those="" to="" meet="" my="" 10k="" goal="" -="" yikes!)="" i'll="" try="" a="" 3="" mile="" 10:00m/m="" tempo="" run="" next="" week,="" with="" all="" of="" my="" other="" runs="" nice="" and="" slow="" 12:30-13:30="" m/m.="" happy="" friday,=""></ 5k pace for me) felt pretty good not so hard, which made me smile. (i just checked - i'll need to run 6 of those to meet my 10k goal - yikes!) i'll try a 3 mile 10:00m/m tempo run next week, with all of my other runs nice and slow 12:30-13:30 m/m. happy friday, a>

Recalculating...

Seems like everyone is making progress! Good to see activity increasing in your logs, Larry and Teresa. Ayola, I am sure you can get under that 60 minute mark! Sunny and 39 degrees here today, looking forward to 10 miles tonight as I took a couple of days rest so I will have fresh legs. I have to admit a lot of my runs are hard work, not fun, the enjoyment comes from the feeling of accomplishment, doing something most people will not make the effort to do, and that great feeling of running fast when it feels almost effortless, which is not very often! Do you guys really enjoy iot, or is it tough but worth it? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

I have to admit a lot of my runs are hard work, not fun, the enjoyment comes from the feeling of accomplishment, doing something most people will not make the effort to do, and that great feeling of running fast when it feels almost effortless, which is not very often! Do you guys really enjoy iot, or is it tough but worth it?
                I don't think that there is anyone who enjoys every run. I enjoy most of them, though. If you are finding too many runs are hard work try slowing down a little more on your easy days. When I come in from my typical easy run I generally don't feel like I've worked much at all. It's almost like cheating.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon, I was just telling DS that towards the end of my 7.1-mile run today, I was thinking, "Wow, this sucks." But then 30 minutes after I'm done, I thought, "Wow, that was great!" That happens about once a week, I'd say. Another once a week, I have a wonderful run, and then a third will be so-so. Part of the process, I guess. Ayola, the wind has been bad in Portland, too. Today was good, though - fairly calm! I ran through the Royal River Park in Yarmouth. There is still ice and snow on the paved path!
                    I've been really taking it easy over the winter, minding my HR, chatting with the indoor veterans at the YMCA so I've been enjoying the runs so far. Looking back, last year in the summer as my first HM approached I really was stressed out for most long runs - I only had a few AHA moments - my goal is to find the edge between pushing myself and ruining a weekend! Mostly the long runs are a bell curve - ugh, ugh, OK, good, greeeaaaat, OK, where's the damned coffee I did enjoy the 9:40 mile on the treadmill... A

Recalculating...

Simon, I have to agree with you, that right now, my runs are hard work. just getting 4 miles in seems hard and I keep saying to myself, there's no way I'll be ready for my HM May 31. But then I take the time to go back to where I was last year at this time and I'm actually a little ahead from that and I made the HM with no difficulty. I think for me, that I just need the weather here in CT to turn (like it did today) and be able to get outside running 4-5 times a week (so I'm more consistent) and I'll come along. Also need the workload at work to subside a little so I'm getting out by 5PM again. I just have to try and be patient. So with that said, I'm sigining off and going running and it's only 5 minutes before 5PM Larry

LPH

Ringmaster

It's funny that you asked that, Simon. Just before the marathon, when I was logging those high-mileage weeks, running was like a job, something I *had* to do, and I wasn't enjoying it very much at all. And the mileage wasn't that high, either--55 mi on 20-miler weeks, 42-ish on non-20-weeks. But I just had to get the runs in, so I felt hemmed in by it. And it dictated everything about my life, it felt like. I think I just needed to get off the schedule, and maybe for that purpose, getting the toenail kicked off was the best thing that could happen. Now, running 4 miles at a snail's pace feels great, and I'm enjoying it because I'm not stressed about what the schedule says I should be doing. I promised myself when I finished the marathon I'd go and run when I felt like it for the distance I felt like. Mostly running is fun, even training--but no, not every run. Like you, Simon, I love that feeling of effortless fast running that you only get once in a while, and maybe that's why early on it was so hard for me to run easy most days--I was always after that feeling. A friend has invited me to run a 7-mile race April 11. I haven't done any speedwork in ages so I'm a little worried about whether I'll be able to hold even my old half-marathon pace, especially as the heat and humidity Larry discovered begins to rise here in "sunny Florida." This time of year, your pace really takes a hit. On the other hand, I've never run a 7-miler so a PR is guaranteed. Hope your CT weather starts to "spring up," Larry.

Mile by Mile

Hope your CT weather starts to "spring up," Larry. Well, it certainly wasn't spring like last night. It was in the 40s with a brisk cold wind. of course if I had left work at 4:30 like I wanted to, it would have been a little better, but I had things to fdo and didn't leave until after 5:30. As soon as the sun starts to go down it can get chilly fast around here. Of course, spring is coming sooner for me than Teresa and Ayola. They're even further N.E. than me.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

But I'll be in TEXAS tomorrow night, so I'm happy! Big grin My dad asked if DS and I would like to attend a fish fry being held in conjunction with the Texas Relays, where we can talk to all the coaches. Sure! Fortunately, DS appreciates what a truly amazing opportunity he's being given to even THINK about running at Texas. Some people feel that we're nuts for even trying, but the coach knows his times and is encouraging him, so what the heck! DH and I have told DS not to get his hopes up.
                            Ringmaster

Wow, what a great opportunity, Teresa--I hope everything goes swimmingly and make sure you soak up everything about the experience and come back and report everything for us! Ran speedwork today for the first time in --oh, months-- and as expected it was really difficult. I may have lost some ground when I decided to shelve speed in favor of pure mileage for marathon training, but there's seasons in training, right? First summer rainstorm today. No spring here, either! Smile

Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DS and I had a great trip to Texas. We got to shake hands with the head UT track coach, Bubba Thornton, who was the US track coach at the last summer Olympics. We also shook hands with the runner who was the Olympic flag-bearer, as well as the football coach, Mack Brown! They were all very gracious and spoke so kindly to my son. A young assistant coach showed us the facilities. Oh, my goodness. Just the SHOE room was impressive! They have a deal with Nike and keep the kids outfitted in shoes as often as they're needed, usually once a month. If they don't have the right shoe size, they can usually get them the next day. They also issue two sets of work-out clothes, washing one set for them each day! They have an underwater treadmill in a small pool with a large-screen TV on the wall to watch. A chiropractor comes in a couple of times a month. The trainer said that if they probably have anything you need, but if they don't, they'll get it for you immediately. There is a weight coach who works out only with the men's track team. He was demonstrating a lift when we came into the gigantic weight area. We watched for several minutes as he critiqued the lifting technique of several beefy throwers. When he came over to meet us, he glanced at my son and said, "You must be a shotputter!" LOL, it was funny (DS is happy to have reached 5'-6 1/2" and 110 pounds!). He spent a little while talking about what Logan can do for the next year to get stronger for college. He told us about things he's done with a couple of kids who have gone to the Olympics. He said he's there to help each runner reach whatever potential he has. Then we met with the assistant coach who works with the distance runners. While we were talking, one freshman came in who was nervous about his very first 1600-meter race the next day at the Texas relays. We got to see the race, and he WON! The coach was very encouraging. It sounds like they really are willing to give DS a SMALL scholarship (I think they just admire his gall for even thinking he could run for them, lol). Don't worry, we are NOT putting all our eggs in this one basket. I've learned that lesson too many times in other areas! We also took a campus tour and attended an information session. Although it's almost impossible for out-of-staters to get into UT, the coach said DS WILL be admitted if he's on the track team. DS liked the energy on campus, and the things he heard. So we'll see! Austin is such a fun city for kids that I hope this all works out. My dad said he and Mom will even help us out financially if it means DS can go there.