Half Marathon Trainers

Texas (Read 17 times)

redleaf

So, uhm, we're heading to Dallas for New Years.

I'm running a (couple of) race(s) in Allen TX. (I haven't fessed to my insanity yet to many people)

Toby (my husband) I think would much rather stay in Dallas than in Allen. I don't mind driving up before the races as there is apparently more than enough parking which is usually my big concern.

So, can anyone recommend a hotel in Dallas that's not so out of the way for driving to Allen (twice) but happening enough to Dallas to make Toby happy (good food, not in the middle of nowhere) with a pool preferably!?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I assume you're doing the New Year's Eve / New Year's Day double.  Best wishes for you on that.

Regarding "Dallas"...

How many days / nights will you be in Dallas?

North Dallas (Addison) is a great place that you might enjoy.  Addison is about 10 - 15 miles due North of downtown.  Lots of food.  Lots of close entertainment.  It's known for their entertainment.

If you truly want the downtown Dallas part, I don't know that I can answer that.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

When I travel to Dallas (couple times a year), I usually stay in the Irving / Las Colinas area because that's where the company office is, but at the same time it works well for a few reasons:

-- easy access to/from Dallas and Ft Worth, easy access to DFW airport, lots of hotel choices as there are a lot of company offices in the area

There is a fairly nice trail system (Campian Trail) for runs, and the close by Grapevine / Flower Mound area has a large lake complex with trails.

Downsides are it's all routine chain hotels and restaurants (but there's some good stuff in nearby areas) and just huge blocks of apartments, and you can't walk to anything -- they don't build sidewalks down there, or the sidewalks just arbitrarily end. It's a car place.

mta: And it's hot, always hot, like 90F hot at 11PM, boiling hot. All the time.  Except 10 days a year when it is freezing rain and 45F.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Thanks!

"mta: And it's hot, always hot, like 90F hot at 11PM, boiling hot. All the time.  Except 10 days a year when it is freezing rain and 45F"

Okay now I'll be hoping for 45F and freezing rain if those are my two options!

Thanks KerCan - another online friend suggested Frisco? Any thoughts?

We arrive December 30 and leave January 2. From there we're heading to Vegas for a few days and then home again.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Frisco is nice.  It's a newer suburb with a great mall and good food.  It's quite far from downtown Dallas (if you have any desire to see that).  Frisco is fairly close to Allen.

I live by the Grapevine / Flower Mound trails that MilkTruck was talking about.  They're good, but I'm guessing you'll get a couple of half marathons in for a couple of those days, and may not care to go running along those trails.

Irving is pretty far from Allen and would be difficult to get there based on the highway system and the known construction.  Although it's nice, it's not the most ideal for a couple of trips to Allen.

Regarding the temperatures, it'll be anywhere from 45* and rainy to a pleasant 70 daytime high.  But a 7am run time will likely be a nice 35* - 40*.

I still think Addison would be good.  You'd be about 15 miles from Allen, and about 10 - 15 miles from Dallas (if you care to see any of the downtown sights).  Addison has quite a few nice restaurants, and good evening life.  I don't know the hotels there, but anything near Beltline Rd and the North Dallas Tollway would be the place I'd start looking in Addison.

For Frisco, I'd look at anything near the intersection of Preston and HWY 121.

FWIW, today was a pleasant 40* while riding in my dad's and mom's car this afternoon (yes, Celcius).  They're visiting from Canada and are enjoying some Texas Heat!

Cheers,

Thanks!

"mta: And it's hot, always hot, like 90F hot at 11PM, boiling hot. All the time.  Except 10 days a year when it is freezing rain and 45F"

Okay now I'll be hoping for 45F and freezing rain if those are my two options!

Thanks KerCan - another online friend suggested Frisco? Any thoughts?

We arrive December 30 and leave January 2. From there we're heading to Vegas for a few days and then home again.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life