Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Aug 11 & 12 (Read 220 times)

an amazing likeness

Nothing on the HMT race calendar for this weekend.

So...good luck, fleet feet and cooling breezes to all our trainers logging miles toward their next, or first half marathon or other event.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

I'm planning on a 10-miler tomorrow. After the last 3 weekends of 13 and 14-milers, I'm due for a shorter LR. My legs have been tired this week.

I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for the Skagit Flats HM on Sept 8 and do that instead of the 25K trail run on Sept 2. The idea is it would be a measure of my progress towards my 2-hr HM goal because it's flat. I wouldn't be up for the effort if I ran the trail race the weekend before it. I would have time for just 3 or 4 more tempo runs at one per week, and plan to alternate 10 and 14 miles on the Saturdays.  I guess I'd be pretty ready a for a trial run at the goal. I don't think I'm close, but no way to judge short of trying.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Everybody enjoy their weekend off of racing Smile

I have a 12 miler in the AM. Looking forward to it! We are running from the Cooper River Bridge to Sullivan's Island. It will be the first time I've run this route, and I always like running something new. Plus if we get too hot we can just take a quick dip in the ocean Smile Should be a great run, as Sullivan's has a neat lighthouse and really cool houses like this one:

neat house

an amazing likeness

I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for the Skagit Flats HM on Sept 8 and do that instead of the 25K trail run on Sept 2.

Do both...if you do the 25K and manage energy, it becomes your long run for that weekend. Since it's a trail run, your save all the pavment pounding. Then the 1/2 on Sept 8th, run the first 8 -10 hard and then jog it in to test your readiness for 2 hours. Just something to think about....

VF -- that is an ugly house.

OK...so you can laugh at me...from my Cape Ann Half a few weeks ago...

Two thumbs up at mile 5.5!

87F wins at mile 11!

HappyFeat

Do both...if you do the 25K and manage energy, it becomes your long run for that weekend. Since it's a trail run, your save all the pavment pounding. Then the 1/2 on Sept 8th, run the first 8 -10 hard and then jog it in to test your readiness for 2 hours. Just something to think about....

I LIKE the way you think!  I just might do that.

MTA - would never laugh at you - that was a tough go clearly.

That is much too hot for running, not at all surprising you look exhausted.

I would describe that house as "odd" and I think painting it that colour was a mistake, but it is interesting.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

After further thought about this option, I've decided not to do both after all.  I wish I was fit enough to do it, but I felt the after-effects of that 3-hour trail run I did last month through the next week.  I'm sure the 25K will probably take me 3 hours to run and then I wouldn't feel fully primed for a good effort at the HM the following weekend. After recently running 14-14-13 in a row (weekly LR's last month or so) and seeing how that felt, I've decided to go back to my plan of alternating 10 miles every other weekend and longer on the alternates. 

MT, I think your 52 HMs in 52 weeks, with some other races thrown in, is quite an amazing accomplishment.  I can't imagine being that fit or durable. Maybe someday... Thanks for the input though. 

I'm with you HappyFeat. I'm learning a lot lately about conditioning, recovery, etc. and what I'm capable of handling. I would not respond well the 3 hour run then HM a week later.

vegefrog

LOL! I saw a lot of houses that were NOT ugly. I think that one is just wierd, but hey...when you have a few million to spend I guess you can do whatever you want with your house! It was such a nice 12 mile route that we are doing it again this weekend!

This time we are going to run to the left when we hit the Island and we're going to do a little mock half marathon Smile 13.1!! For one of the guys running with us, this will be his farthest run ever. So I'm making us fake medals, since the whole point of doing a half is getting the bling...right? Wink

Hope y'all have glorious runs this weekend!

vegefrog

After further thought about this option, I've decided not to do both after all.  I wish I was fit enough to do it, but I felt the after-effects of that 3-hour trail run I did last month through the next week.  I'm sure the 25K will probably take me 3 hours to run and then I wouldn't feel fully primed for a good effort at the HM the following weekend. After recently running 14-14-13 in a row (weekly LR's last month or so) and seeing how that felt, I've decided to go back to my plan of alternating 10 miles every other weekend and longer on the alternates. 

Seems like a smart move...you've been running so great and having so much success it would really stink to over do it with these 2 races back to back. I know I am not nearly fit enough to accomplish such a thing!

an amazing likeness

After further thought about this option, I've decided not to do both after all....I've decided to go back to my plan of alternating 10 miles every other weekend and longer on the alternates. 

Sounds like a good plan. I threw out the "do both" as a combo of encouragement to tackle 'em and have the satisfaction of conquering both, and I had the sense you were leaning that way.  Wink

MT, I think your 52 HMs in 52 weeks, with some other races thrown in, is quite an amazing accomplishment.  I can't imagine being that fit or durable. Maybe someday...

Oh my, you are giving me way, way too much credit -- I'm only doing one per month

HappyFeat

Sounds like a good plan. I threw out the "do both" as a combo of encouragement to tackle 'em and have the satisfaction of conquering both, and I had the sense you were leaning that way.  Wink

True - I have more enthusiasm for running than good sense sometimesBig grin, but I've honestly been working on listening to my "gut" rather than my ego lately.

HappyFeat

Oh my, you are giving me way, way too much credit -- I'm only doing one per month

Blushgot you mixed up with somebody else, but STILL - Racing a HM once or twice a month is impressive as well as your ability to run the miles you do. I wish I had your "run-ability."