Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Aug 19 & 20 (Read 273 times)

an amazing likeness

Nothing on the HMT race calendar over this weekend itself, but early next week Kevin returns to the streets track to continue his quest to lay down a sub-5 mile. Wow...that's screaming.

Aug 21 Gville Kevin Night of Miles 2 1 mi Litchfield, CT USA 4:59:99

Good luck, fleet feet and cooling breezes to all our trainers logging miles toward their next, or first half marathon or any other event.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yeah, it's a return to the track actually. And no real reason to expect much faster than last month's effort, other than maybe it will be about 15 degrees cooler. But I'll take any good luck I can get...thanks!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

Last Monday I ran a 1mi segment all out for a time trial test...6:38 was all there was. 4 days later I'm still sore. Short distances are not for me.

Last Monday I ran a 1mi segment all out for a time trial test...6:38 was all there was. 4 days later I'm still sore. Short distances are not for me.

Hmmm...on the heels of a 10 day stretch with 2 races (one in Hell), the day after a nice ridiculously-humid-need-2-stashed-waters to "survive"- 13+ long run, and after 5 "warm-up" miles...I'd say that's some pretty good work, all things considered. There's some speed in you yet.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          HappyFeat

Hmmm...on the heels of a 10 day stretch with 2 races (one in Hell), the day after a nice ridiculously-humid-need-2-stashed-waters to "survive"- 13+ long run, and after 5 "warm-up" miles...I'd say that's some pretty good work, all things considered. There's some speed in you yet.

Excellent summation!  Don't shortchange yourself MT.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the perspective Kevin....I'm really not confident that there's just much more speed in my legs. It's an old-guy thing, loosing stride and turnover. I'm trying to get to a 1 mile time trial in the 6:25 - 6:28 range in the next couple weeks.

I'm going to head out for a 10K tomorrow that I've run once before back in 2010. I didn't register for this race, so didn't put in on the calendar. This is a small race, about 50 - 60 runners on an island near Wiscasset, Maine. When I stumbled on this event in 2010, I thought to myself "...it's a run around an island, I'll get nice ocean views and a nice drive to the island, sounds great.".  What I didn't know was this is one tough little nugget of a course -- my log from 2010 noted:

...Completely unknown event to me before showing up to run it.  Had visions of a flat or rolling run around the island. Nope. Hills, hills and then some more hills. Paved road and dirt road mix, probably 60% dirt.  Plan was 7:35 - 7:45 splits. Ditched that plan right after mile 1...

Check out the elevation profile...

At this race is that there's a tradition where the runners who have finished line the road and cheer in the runners still coming in.  I took this photo after finishing and you can see the old town hall where the race starts in the background and the finishers lining the road on the left. (finish is those balloons)

I drove the course after the race and took some photos...if you usually run races with 1,000s of runners in big courses...this is the opposite:

vegefrog

MT Sounds like a tough, but neat race. I always like the ones where everyone sticks around to cheer on the slower runners and chit-chat. Such a great vibe! Good luck and have fun!

Kevin...I know I have said this before but...sub-5 mile....wow. I can't even imagine! I have been doing some research to find a mile race near me, but so far no luck. I would love to see what I could do. I know a time trial of just me, the track and watch wouldn't produce my best.

So I wore the GPS today on my 13.1 run...loved it. It was SO cool to be able to see my pace and I didn't even pay attention to the mileage. I have 2 great running buddies, so that helps, as we talk pretty much the whole time. Plus this route that I have run the past 2 weeks is FULL of runners...I mean, probably 50-60 people along the 13.1. That makes it interesting and it's a wide sidewalk so it never feels really crowded...just like...it's the thing to do! LOL!

I made us medals because it was my friends first time to ever run that far. And yes...we make fun of his fuel belt and calf sleeves Wink

Homemade medals

HappyFeat

Good luck tomorrow, MT. Sounds like a fun event.

Vege, I LOVE the medals - what a great idea!

vegefrog

Thanks HF! I thought, being guys, they would think it was silly. But...they were pretty darn excited when I sprinted to the car after the run and hung them around their necks Smile Just a little foam board and glitter glue, LOL, but they made us smile!!

Thanks HF! I thought, being guys, they would think it was silly. But...they were pretty darn excited when I sprinted to the car after the run and hung them around their necks Smile Just a little foam board and glitter glue, LOL, but they made us smile!!

I'm a guy, and I think it's pretty cool.

HappyFeat

It's called "play" and we can all use more of it in our lives, don'tcha think?

You had a creative idea to make their LR accomplishment more fun and I think that's wonderful.

vegefrog

I agree! Everyone can use more "PLAY" in their lives Smile

MT how was that 10K today??

an amazing likeness

Today's 10K was...relentlessly hilly. Climbs followed by climbs, served with sharp downhills. Finished 12th OA and 2AG, but never really had any pop in the legs right from the start. It's time for a cut back week, me thinks.

HappyFeat

Excellent race result, MT - on tired legs!

My 14-mile LR went fine on Saturday - actually felt better than last week's shorter LR. No soreness the next day, so decided to go hiking for the first time this year - about 11 miles, half up and half down, 3500 foot elevation gain/loss. It was a gorgeous day and the scenery was amazing. I took it nice and easy, but am sore today and plan on not running tonight.  I was too tired to mess with photos last night, but will post one or two tonight.

vegefrog

Great race MT! You deserve a break!

HappyFeat I would love to see those pictures! I'm reading a book about the PCT right now and it is all I can do not to go out and buy a backpack and take off on the AT for a few days. Too bad I have to work and I don't know the first thing about hiking, LOL.