Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - April 2009 (Read 688 times)

Prince of Fatness

So how's everyone doing? Who has races coming up? I'll start. My half is only 4 weeks away. Yesterday I ran a 10 mile race. I did real well on a tough course with very windy conditions. There's a brief writeup in my log for anyone interested. The half course is much easier so I think I can PR. Shins are still a little sore but I started icing after every run and that is really helping. I should have been doing that all along.

Not at it at all. 

Mine is 8 weeks out. I was checking it on the calendar last night and planning backwards for training. I have a lot of work to do and I'm worried at times I won't make it. Then I look back to last year and check my times and distances and say I'm fine, if I did it then and it was my first. it gives me some confidence that I can do it again. As the weather has begun changing, I'm definitely getting more motivated to go out and run. Yesterday was nasty here in N.E. with high winds (gusts to 40 MPH) and rain off and on, so I stayed in and did the threadmill thing, but at least I was motivated to do it. So I recorded 23+ miles for the week already and still have today to run. It's suppose to be almost 60 degrees here today and sunny, but looking out my window as I type, it's overcast and windy at 9:40 AM. I'm feeling good, my legs are getting stronger, my breathing easier and I'm enjoying it more and more each run. Of course, that's going to change as I start hitting the long runs. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jules2

Got a really flat one next Sunday but the trainings been poor because of leg problems so I don't fancy my chances I'll see what I feel like when I get there I do have some freinds I can run round with. My key event is 10th May so fingers crossed.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Mines a little less than 4 weeks away. I'm feeling pretty good about it, it will be my first. I did a15K at race pace last week and was happy with my time. I would like to come in at 2:15 or better. It's funny I've been really dreading these long runs, but now that I'm adjusting to them I don't seem to notice how long goes past before I'm done. Just kind of zone out and go and then I'm like "Oh I'm done, wow where di the time go?"
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
            Wow, Mr. PH , 74 minutes 10 miler! That's moving along...congratulations. Glad to hear you are making good progress, Larry. Sorry to hear you are not, Jules, hope the leg heals. Scubagirl, long runs are really the key to a good final 5k in the half. Most people who train for the half are ok up to 10 miles, but fade after that. To get a good time you must push ALL the way to the finish. Just wanted to add a comment for Teresa (following last month's thread) -that UT facility sounds amazing. Universities here in Ontario have nothing like that to offer, hope he gets in! My race is coming up on April 26th. so I should have done more than 2 runs this week! I hope this has not cost me too much, but will find out with a tempo 10k this week, that will help me make a final decision on my goal and pace for the race. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, What's up with only a few runs, you busy at work or something? I see that you got a 25K run in yesterday, that's great, but isn't that punishing your body? LPH

LPH

Larry, I have excuses but not really any good reasons for skipping my runs this week. One night a friend came over unexpectedly, so I didn't want to leave him sitting on the couch watching TV by himself. Another night my wife was busy (she is a tax preparer and bookkeeper) so I stayed in to help her with the phone, answering the door etc. Stuff like that adds up, and pretty soon the week is gone. I did not find the long run tough, actually it was as if I had done a taper, felt pretty good. I should have mentioned-yesterday was our wedding anniversary, number 34(!), had a very nice dinner at our favourite Italian place, then coffee and biscotti. We had 2 inches of snow last night which meant driving to work today was not much fun, everyone has taken their snow tires off! Bowling tonight, then back to running tomorrow. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Simon! I hope he makes it, too. I hope you can get some great runs in this week! My HM isn't until early October, so I have quite awhile. My YMCA HM class doesn't start until July.
                    I should have mentioned-yesterday was our wedding anniversary, number 34(!), had a very nice dinner at our favourite Italian place, then coffee and biscotti. We had 2 inches of snow last night which meant driving to work today was not much fun, everyone has taken their snow tires off! Bowling tonight, then back to running tomorrow. Simon.
                    Yeah, for me it's been working a lot later than I want to. I had vowed when I came back to the company, that I was going to keep my hours down and for the most part I have, but lately have been working to 6-6:30 or later on a special screwed up job (thank you oh mighty Management morrones). Congratulations on 34 years, we'll be celebrating 35 in Sept. Of course thats only if she doesn't get fed up with my running and having to fix late suppers and plan things around getting my runs in. She is supportive most of the time, but moody about it right now. As for snow tires. Even here in CT, I leave them on until at least Tax day, because it seems we almost always get a late snow storm or two. Larry

LPH

Larry and Simon, You guys are doing great! A couple of our best friends in town are celebrating a 30th anniversary soon and it really makes me happy (I'm working on 5) My first HM will be in September, so I'm working on 10K for June and July. Today I did 3 x 1 mile at 10K pace without too much trouble (minus the lady next to me farting constantly). Just trying to keep the mileage between 25-30 with a 8-10 mile long run until June. The weather has unbroken so I am getting outside, I'll have to go practice on the June course soon - its hilly. Keep those snow tires on! A

Recalculating...

Jazz hands!

April is kicking my butt so far. I ran like 12 miles last week, partly because things didn't go as planned, partly because I was just tired of running, then Saturday I came down with the Cold From Hell and can't run 'til it's good and over. This Friday night I'm leaving for vacation until the 19th, and I'll run as much as I can out there but no guarantees. My half is May 8. I did one 10-mile run already but haven't managed to get even close to that since--I'm hoping for a 12 and maybe another 10, but that seems optimistic right now since I am firmly benched until I can run without hacking up a lung. So basically, I just want to make it through this thing and then reexamine what the hell it is I think I"m doing.
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hang in there, Squeaky! Remember that you can always take walk breaks if you need to. That's what I resorted to in my HM, and I actually had a wonderful time. I wasn't even sore the next day!
                          Lu481

I've got just over 5 weeks left until my next 1/2 (May 17)... Due to work commitments (training new people to take over for us so we can go home) I haven't had much time to run, which is probably a good thing, because I still have a bit of tightness in my left ankle and am supposed to take it easy... I am hoping my ankle is completely healed soon so I can get in some good quality training before the race... If not I'll take it easy during the race and use it as training for the following race I'm planning in July... Lu
                              I've got just over 5 weeks left until my next 1/2 (May 17)... Due to work commitments (training new people to take over for us so we can go home) I haven't had much time to run, which is probably a good thing, because I still have a bit of tightness in my left ankle and am supposed to take it easy... I am hoping my ankle is completely healed soon so I can get in some good quality training before the race... If not I'll take it easy during the race and use it as training for the following race I'm planning in July... Lu
                              Come home from where?

LPH

an amazing likeness

Ran the Great Bay Half Marathon this past Sunday in Newmarket, NH. Medium size event with about 1400 entrants. Neat course which looped through the rolling hills and woods around the Great Salt Bay inland from Portsmouth on some country roads, a dirt road section and a residential section. It is rolly-polly: Some interesting on-course entertainment including an acapella group, a string duet out in the woods somewhere, bagpipes, local kids garage band (sounding pretty good), and a belly dancing troop. RA member Run2Win ran as a warm-up for a May marathon and lead the parade for a good deal of the race, finishing 3rd. My goal was test my knee at planned marathon pace for my May marathon, ended up with sharp, stabbing pain at 12 miles and walked for a couple hundred yards, costing me about 50 positions. May marathon is out. The half marathon distance is becoming my favorite, its hard work and rewarding.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.