Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - April 2009 (Read 688 times)

Ringmaster

That looks like a fun race, MilkTruck. I'll have to make do with short distance events for now. Resting today to get ready for my 7-mile race tomorrow, but I'm almost back to my 30mpw. I'm trying to decide between a fall half and a spring full or the reverse. Teresa, I too was impressed by the UT facilities, just by your description, though I'm sure your son will excel no matter where he goes, and any school would do well to have him. Congratulations to those celebrating such milestone anniversaries. Many happy years ahead!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

Really please, I ran 8.5 M yesterday. I actually wanted to do 7M, but form home I don't have a good 7 M course. I've got a good 8M 4M out and back or continue the loop which is another 4.5, so I figured I'd do the whole loop. Finished it with no problem, legs weren't too bad on the rolling hills but they certainly need some strengthening. I've got to go look at my log from last year, but this should certainly put me a little ahead of last year for my HM. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Nice race, Milktruck, 3rd! Glad to hear everyone is doing well, I find it tough to stay on an even keel in the couple of weeks before a race- if I have a good run I am filleed with confidence and in a great mood, then the reverse if I have a difficult run. Silly, because I know we all have good and bad days. Anyway, its good now as I had a great tempo run this week, 5k warmup, 5k in 23:25, then cool down. It was a good hard run, but not race effort. Plus, I am likely to clock 40 miles again this week, or at least very close. Good runs everyone! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

Nice race, Milktruck, 3rd!
          For absolute clarity, not meaning to be pedantic but it was Run2Win who finished third. I finished in the top top 30% (which is always my goal), but definitely not 3rd.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jules2

Got a really flat one next Sunday but the trainings been poor because of leg problems so I don't fancy my chances I'll see what I feel like when I get there I do have some freinds I can run round with. My key event is 10th May so fingers crossed.
            Managed 1:32:04 but my splits went from 6.48 to 7.17 as my bad leg tightened but then managed the last mile in 7.00 then some guy who was huffing and puffing had the nerve to pass me so I was forced to open up and took him and next guy in front I was annoyed as I always think at my age its undignified to finish a race panting!

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, Jules! Wow, you're fast, even with a tight leg! VixiDu, how was your race?? Did you decide between the half and the full?
              Lu481

Larry, I've been in Egypt for the last 6 months. Just enough time to miss the winter back home. Lu
                  Sorry, Milktruck, misread that! I agree with you on the half, i think its my best distance, and for that reason my favorite- I had been thinking I might try a marathon next year, but every time I run a long way I get tired, so this may not be a good idea for me. Jules, nice race! I am all in favour of behaving with dignity, but I think there are exceptions! Lu, Egypt? Do you mind me asking what you do for a living? (From your avatar I am wondering if it involves aviation, perhaps this is an interest.) I am planning a 10k fundraiser (i.e. not competitive and not chip timed) at the end of May, a hilly course but close to home and a loop, so no problems getting back to your car. Also very close to home.Did some speedwork (relative term!) this week, and will be reducing miles this week.

Ringmaster

Jules, you crack me up! Meanwhile, in my 7-mile race, I definitely finished huffing and puffing. I'm not race-ready yet; between not doing any speedwork and taking two weeks off completely for the toe, it was tough just to hold my measly 8:30 pace. It was also 70 and foggy, so the sweat clung to us and it was impossible to see the finish line clock until the very end--all that to say that I almost undignified-ly ran over the eventual winner in the 70-74 age group, just to get in under one hour! Thanks for asking, Teresa. Oh, I'm full of plans. Tentatively, the Space Coast Marathon at the end of November, then the ING Miami Half in January (hopefully I can fast enough to go 1:45 by then). I'd like to do a challenge they do at Gasparilla where you run the 5k and 15k Saturday then the half marathon Sunday, that would be at the end of February. Then friends and I are hoping to rustle up a team to do our state's Sunrise to Sunset relay at the end of March. Yeah, we squeeze all our racing here in the cool (er) months. If we ever do a HMTrainers virtual race, I'll be in the distant dust . . . a 23:25 "not at race pace?" I love hanging out with you guys!

Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

Sorry, I haven't been on here as much as i used to...new job and stuff is keeping me busy (although I do make sure I get my running in). I've got my next HM coming up on April 25 (Country Music Half), followed a week later by the Indy mini-marathon. But I was so thrilled with my running yesterday, that i just had to share...Yesterday, I took a big step (no pun intended) in my running career yesterday. Ever since I started running about two and ½ years ago…I employed the Jeff Galloway method (taking walk breaks). I started my running career by running a minute…walking a minute. I gradually increased that to 5/1 splits (run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute). Well, one of my goals for this year was to eliminate the walk breaks (or at least drastically reduce them). Well, yesterday, I did a 12 mile long run, and I only took 4 (count ‘em four) one minute walk breaks…and each one was at the top of a hill. Under the Galloway method, I probably would have taken about 24 or 25 one minute walk breaks. I did the 12 miles in 1:56:39 for a 9:44 pace. Yesterday was a HUGE milestone in my running career. I'm no a spedster by any means..but a big step nonetheless. Hope everyone's training is going well for their half marathons!!! Good luck to all!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Ringmaster

Paul, what a huge milestone, and what patience it must have taken to achieve it! Twelve miles in 1:56--can't wait for the race report from the Country Music Half! Glad you came back to share your victory with us!

Mile by Mile

Nice race report, Vixi, well done! Paul, great progress-I can see you crossing number 5 off your list in the near future. I can see "running with (or without) dignity" is going to become part of the insider terminology round here! Thanks for the contribution, Jules!

Wow, everyone seems to progressing along nicely. I'm going to hang out here to see if I get any faster! I'm still training for my < 60 10k... i did half mile repeats on the treadmill today per glover at my 5k pace and i feel pretty good. happy tuesday, a 60="" 10k...="" i="" did="" half="" mile="" repeats="" on="" the="" treadmill="" today="" per="" glover="" at="" my="" 5k="" pace="" and="" i="" feel="" pretty="" good.="" happy="" tuesday,=""></ 60 10k... i did half mile repeats on the treadmill today per glover at my 5k pace and i feel pretty good. happy tuesday, a>

Recalculating...

Well welcome back home and lucky you to miss the winter
                              Larry, I've been in Egypt for the last 6 months. Just enough time to miss the winter back home. Lu

LPH

But I was so thrilled with my running yesterday, that i just had to share...Yesterday, I took a big step (no pun intended) in my running career yesterday. Ever since I started running about two and ½ years ago…I employed the Jeff Galloway method (taking walk breaks). I started my running career by running a minute…walking a minute. I gradually increased that to 5/1 splits (run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute). Well, one of my goals for this year was to eliminate the walk breaks (or at least drastically reduce them). Well, yesterday, I did a 12 mile long run, and I only took 4 (count ‘em four) one minute walk breaks…and each one was at the top of a hill. Under the Galloway method, I probably would have taken about 24 or 25 one minute walk breaks. I did the 12 miles in 1:56:39 for a 9:44 pace. Yesterday was a HUGE milestone in my running career. I'm no a spedster by any means..but a big step nonetheless. Hope everyone's training is going well for their half marathons!!! Good luck to all!!!
                                Congratulations and well done. Isn't it great to see improvement? Tells you that all of your hard work is paying off. Larry

LPH