Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April 2011 (Read 809 times)

Waitarere Half Marathon

This has to be the best organised race I've been to bar none.  They had everything covered.  Its an off-road run around flat forest tracks.  There were big clear accurate km markers, plenty of water - in paper cups, lots of toilet facilities at the start so no queueing, lots of helpers at registration.  Huge field to park in, friendly volunteers directing you there.  Chip timing, powerade and a nice medal at the finish.  They've asked for feedback and I cannot think of a single thing they could improve.

The race itself - I probably went out a bit fast.  I was running the sort of time I should have been doing on a road course - but the slightly softer ground and occasional gravelly or sandy bits just slowed me a bit.  So by half way I could really feel it, and the last few kms were a struggle.  Still I kept pushing on and was pleased with my result.  1.33.52, 8th lady, 1st in my age group.

I couldn't stay for prizegiving as I'd promised to go back my running club and lead out our slowest / shortest pack run (40mins at about 6.40 per km). 

By the way I'm another one signed up for June in Wellington - see you there nzrun (and maybe vino....)

HappyFeat

Fantastic run, Mandy! Congratulations on the AG award.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Congrats Mandy. I have been looking more at trails too. Yesterday I went and checked out a new track that is going in near my home. It isn't complete yet but when it is it makes a very attractive extension to an already long set of tracks that runs through bush along an estuary near here. At a guess it would be 5km long. Looking forward to it being finished. A very steep hill run at one point, VERY!! http://www.manukau.govt.nz/SiteCollectionDocuments/Mangemangeroa%20Walkway%20plan.pdf I have been feeling good over the last week. Starting to feel lighter on my feet and happier so all good. I am running a fun run with the kids on Sunday. An 8km "Sand to Mud" which starts on an ocean beach (Karotahi), climbs a big hill and then pretty flat the rest of the way into Waiuku. Will be fun. A week after that I have 2 weeks off so will be piles of exercise hiking and a bit of running 5km tonight at the club

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Loves the outdoors

Well done Mandy! Sounds like a great race. 

Vino, the weather is always awesome in Wellington in June. I find I run better in torrential rain ;-)

I've had my highest km week ever this week and I still feel good. Over 8 hours running, which is heaps for me. Hopefully this will be reflected in my next half marathon time!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Great job Mandy! My knees won't let me run trails, not unless I want to be in elastic braces again. They are not uneven terrain friendly knees. They stopped complaining about straight ahead running on even ground (no braces for over a year) but start to complain shortly after running in an open field! Didn't think they would do that and was surprised a few weeks ago when I tried that.

I'm getting my time on feet and mileage back up now that I drive to more level areas. ~5 1/2 hours for the past two weeks and am shooting for 6 this week. Especially if a sidewalk area I haven't tried recently works out. Its even closer to the house than the shopping center. Only two more weeks of tax season then I can head more regularly to the trails further north. And maybe even get two a days in. Although as it warms up that may not be practical unless I walk in the evenings! LOL

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Hi All

March was a good month for me; a HM PR, one of my highest mileage months ever and somewhere in the mix the longest training run I have ever run.

Unfortunately April has started as a bit of a stinker!

I promised myself a low mileage week last week on the back end of my HM race but did not plan on only doing 14 miles. I couldn't run for a few days after the race; too sore, but then I have picked up a snotty cold from the kids (how come they get over it so quickly??) and I just can't get myself out of the door. Feeling a little better tonight so hoping that I can get the miles in this week.

I signed up for the Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon at the end of May. I am hoping that I can get my mileage averaging 35/week until then, maybe get some "speed work" in and take a crack at sub 1:50:00. We'll see, work is getting pretty busy too!

Really nice to see so many people posting and prepping for your races; keep sharing your progress.

Simon & Vino, great news on the kids front!

Mandy, nice race -  You Rock!

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

21:48 tonight for the 5km. A bit of speed returning slowly :-) Nice effort NZ run on your record week! I am not hitting any records at the moment but I am enjoying myself. Trying to mix it up and keep interested while building a base slowly I am throwing in at least one hill workout a fortnight and alternating weeks some interval training. That is the plan. One steady short run, one long and one easy.....that will be my 4 a week schedule then step it up to 5 in May :-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Great running, guys!

Matt, I am sure you will get the  1:50, and over the next year you should progress from there.

Great run for you (again) Mandy!

Vino, nice time- if you concentrated on running instead of mountaineering who knows what you could do....

Good to see the progress by Bobev and NZ run, nice to hear from you guys and Happyfeat, it encourages all of us to keep going- I have lacked motivation recently.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Nice run vino!  20.02 for me tonight.  I'm trying to console myself with the fact there was a Wellington southerly blowing, and its only 3 days after the half.  

Matt - I'm sure the 1.50 will be yours!!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Simon

I have one of my climbing buddies who says the opposite "if i concentrated on climbing instead of running...".  It is all different fitness.  The big epic hikes call for a lot more strength, endurance and especially mental toughness but it does nothing for aerobic really. And of course there is the scenery so I will never give it up...it is my passion.  Running is good over the winter between any trips away and hopefully I will get back into the shape I enjoyed 10 months/ a year ago soon :-)

For those interested here is a movie of a tough one i did a couple of months ago, not so easy doing running ones!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovtR4bq8po

I have to look more into nutrition this year as last year looking back I think i didnt take care of ensuring i put enough quality calories into the body.

I am stilll kinda kinda thinking of doing Auckland full marathon but a bit concerned about the training milage and keeping body in shape so undecided...may just be half

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Former runner

Hi all!  My training for the Indy Mini has been going well so far. I can't say I'm following any specific plan but I am trying to work in some faster workouts to get my overall pace up. This past Saturday I decided to run a 15k trail run to gauge my progress. It was the second race in the DINO series held at Mounds State Park in Anderson, IN. I finished in 1:28:58 which was a lot faster than I expected considering my complete lack of hill training. It was a good confidence boost knowing that I won't have hills like that at the Mini.

Ross

Hi Ross!

Good job, trail running is tough.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Entered the draw for free auckland tickets at work today. the "draw" isnt exactly fair and serious runners always seem to get the nod so in with a good chance. then i just have to decide half or full.... 50/50 thoughts at the mo

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Entered the draw for free auckland tickets at work today. the "draw" isnt exactly fair and serious runners always seem to get the nod so in with a good chance. then i just have to decide half or full.... 50/50 thoughts at the mo

good luck Smile

Nice work everyone (and wives!) on recent races. It seems like everyone is really picking up their training, as well.

My April, so far, has been a mixed bag. I've had a few great runs, which have all been long runs. But, I've had issues on my workouts-I had two workouts earlier this month that I had to cut short for different reasons and finally had a good one on Monday, but my Garmin died so I have no accurate measure of performance. Normally I wouldn't care too much, but I need feedback from these workouts to help determine pacing for my spring 'A' race (OC HM on May 1).