Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April 2011 (Read 809 times)

Beginner all over again

Great job everyone.

I'm still in my early stages, but I've made it to Week #4 of 28

Smile

April got off to a rough start with some type of flu/cold. 

Today was the first run this month where I didn't feel sick.

Happy to be back at it.

Interesting that you plan to run in Tubingen, Redrunner- my sister taught  at the Goethe Institute in Tubingen many years ago.

Still no running for me, too much coughing!

Keep up the good work!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon-I hope things get better soon. Are you still planning on racing May 1?

It would be a stretch to say I "plan" to race in Tübingen but I'm working to make it happen.

A good tempo run for me today.  8k in approx 35.30

Great to see the group so active, both from a running and a posting perspective!

It's been a strange week for me this week. I'm on vacation with the family but have packed my running gear all the same. Two workouts to date and neither have been what you would call quality! Monday night, after everyone was asleep; 7 miles on the hotel treadmill. Now I am sure it was the calibration on the machine and not the 400lbs of Mexican food consumed less than 90 mins earlier... but that one felt like a real slog! I managed to follow up that shambles of a run with what I thought was going to be an "idyllic little saunter down the boardwalk".... except it was 86F (that's 30C for those of you who run KMs), with 20MPH winds and humid as anything! Sandblasted and exhausted I pulled up after 6 miles, probably my worst and most difficult training run in a long time. Tomorrow morning is meant to be better.... we'll see!

Most of the rest of you seem to be doing pretty well though! (Get well Simon!!)

Mandy - I may have missed it somewhere but want to know what kind of injury allows you to drop out of a Full Mary and plan to run a sub 1:30 Half while still belting out 7min miles during training. More importantly than that... how can I get one! Clown Joking aside hope it's not too serious!

awaldvogel - good to see you back at it this month!

FrancesRe - On to week 5 now, I see. Keep it up!

bobev - are you following a similar plan to Frances? Is it going well?

Andy, cameraready & redrunner - how's the race training coming on? Only 2 or 3 weeks out for all of you right?

vino - what a prize mate! Tell me you are going to do the full? I would love to do a full but cannot stay running consistently enough to build up to the distance. We won't disown you here!

sudobeer - It's been quiet from you for a few weeks, how are you getting on? Still going out?

Meg - Likewise, Are you still getting out?

Houndmom - Welcome to the HM Forum. There are some really experienced people in this group who can help you out with some running advice. I am not really one of them but to get you started; You may want to look at making your log public, if people can see what you are doing they can target their advice. If you let us know a bit about yourself and what you want to achieve in you HM that would help too. Finally from me, get a plan there are many out there but if you are just starting out I like Hal Higdon's.

Keep on keeping on all you HM'ers

Cheers!

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Big grin at Matt

I had an adductor strain.  No running for a week.  Missed my last long run and then spent 4-5 days running really gingerly and trying to decide if I was ok or not.  I could no doubt have done the marathon - but why create stress for yourself.  This way I still get a weekend away, I get to race my favourite distance (with a chance of a PR), and even better I get to see my partner finish the marathon (that certainly wouldn't have happened if I'd been running it too!)

Hope you are enjoying your vacation despite the "interesting" running conditions.  I both love and hate running when I'm away from home.  You get to see some great places but it really disrupts your routine. 

Matt-

training has been going well. I race in 9 days. I did my last 14 miler on Monday and a 4 mile tempo yesterday. I will probably do something like a 2 mile tempo run on Monday. Starting to go a bit batty because I'm cutting down cross training, which normally makes up a pretty good percentage of my weekly volume.

Houndsmom-

welcome to running! I agree with Matt on both making your log public and higdon. I've never used his plans, but I look at them from time to time to see how my training tracks against it. If you're running 20 miles/week and you're not racing until September, I think you're doing pretty well on your own.

Mandy-

how do you determine pacing on your tempo runs-HR, feel, daniels, mcmillan, etc? I suspect I may be running mine too hard.

HoundMom

Thanks for the warm welcome. I took a look at the training plan and I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'm a bit curious at the layout since the longest distance before the race is 10 miles and I'll need to be able to pick up 3 miles the week of the race. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe that's the way it's done. Right now I'm picking up about a mile a week. I want to have a long run at 14 miles before the race just to make sure I can do it. I'm planning that for about three weeks before the actual race.

As for today's run, not so good. I've had an increasing pain in my lower inside calf for the past several days and today it was really acting up. I think I'm going to ice today & rest it tomorrow and see what happens on my Sunday run (which is usually my distance run).

Thanks again. Happy running.  Smile

Hey Houndmom!  I like the idea of running the full distance or more before the race, gives you confidence and it means you know what to expect  in the latter stages of the race.  Maybe I am not the most self confident type, but I made sure to run the race distance several times.

Finally got out for a run today, slow 10 kms or so, no coughing!

Mandy your 8k tempo pace is my 5k race pace!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

20km today, which is a lot on my low milage training.  While I wouldn't class it as a disaster, it certainly was quite a bit slower than the numbers I was pulling last year. 1:42 (I did the same course pb in 1:31 last year)

Even bad training can be good training

Still haven't made a decision re Half Marathon vs Full maratho but i think today the balance shifted more toward the half.  Not sure how the body will cope with a full (or the mind!!)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Hey, Everyone!  I'll echo Matt by saying it is nice to see lots of running and lots of posting activity by you all....

After my very busy race year last year, I totally slumped during the winter, averaging only like 15mpw......in combination with a very busy work schedule for the last several months.  I am up to like 20+mpw now and hope to be near 30 within about 4 to 6 weeks getting ready for a Memorial Day 10k (the Bolder Boulder) and then an HM that first weekend in June.

Now that Spring has sprung here, my attitude has totally turned up with the nice weather.  Looking forward to being out on the road and trails munch more as a result.

Cheers everyone!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Simon - it was my 5k pace 12 months ago Big grin. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

redrunner - I do tempos by feel - aiming for "comfortably hard", or basically something where by the end if I really needed to I could push the pace up a bit, but I wouldn't want to.  When I'm running them regularly that normally comes out somewhere around half marathon pace or maybe a bit quicker.  I'm just starting back on them now though so they'll likely be a bit random for a while.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hi all. The Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis will be my first half. I started training for it in February and so far things have been going pretty well. I ran a 10 mile race this weekend as a dry run for the Mini and finished with a pace just under 11:00 min/mile. My goal is to finish the Mini in under 2:30, so I think I'm in pretty good shape to make my goal even if I have to slow down a little. This site has been a great resource and I haven't posted before, but thought I should say Hi.

Richard

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Former runner

The Indy mini couldn't come any sooner for me.  Had to cut my run short on Thursday when my leg started cramping.  I took a couple days off to rest it and it seems to be fine for today's run.  I guess I need to improve my stretching plan to avoid more issues like this. I had the same problem last fall. Seems like my legs don't like any form of speedwork. Either way I will be kissing the bricks May 7th.

Ross