Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

Nice run yesterday, sunny, clear skies, well above freezing. Ran 12.73kms in 1:06 for a 5:15/km pace. Wearing sunglasses i could not read my Garmin so had no idea of the pace till I got back in the house, just heard it beep a few times for "lap" recording. After a slow and difficult run on Sunday it was quite encouraging. Jules good luck on the race we are looking forward to reading your report. Those guys you mention are superhuman! Vixi, I am guessing you are joking about 60 minutes, with your time for the half you must mean 50 minutes. Keep up the good work, everyone! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

Running a HM in under an hour is mind boggling. What's that, about 4 and a half minute miles? I don't think I can run a 100 yard dash that fast. 8.1 miles this evening, a nice easy run in calm, 50 degree weather.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

I can't do a 50 yard dash that fast Shocked Didn't get the opportunity to post last night but I did get in my run. Five slow easy miles on the treadmill. Man, it took forever but I know that the slow miles are important too. Tonight I did 3.5 miles as a combination part on the track and then the end as a cool down on the treadmill. Followed that with about 30 minutes of core, stretching and weights. Have a 5K coming up in about a week and a half. Not planning to do anything but finish. My daughter and I do it each year (this will be the 4th time) as the first "group run" of the year. Hey, it supports a good cause and gives us a chance to get out with the masses. The course that was used for the past several years is no longer able to accommodate the numbers of runners. That's good for the charity but BAD for me. The new course contains a hill that they have named "The Beast". Not exactly what you want to be up against on the first race of the year. Therefore, my plan is to go, have fun, complete the run, and contribute to the charity. I have no ambitions to set a PR or to injure myself with a half marathon scheduled for May. wbertha
          Trying to get out today but we are in the middle of a major snow storm, apparently the worst since 1939, predicted over 30cm. (that's a foot of snow, and deeper in the drifts, of course.) This has been a really bad winter in my area. Work hard on the hills, wbertha, and I'm sure they will get easier!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Trying to get out today but we are in the middle of a major snow storm, apparently the worst since 1939, predicted over 30cm. (that's a foot of snow, and deeper in the drifts, of course.) This has been a really bad winter in my area. Work hard on the hills, wbertha, and I'm sure they will get easier!
            Simon... its pretty nasty downtown too.... this is totally screwing with my planned 10 miles today!
            wbertha

No snow storm here but bitter cold instead. Hey, I thought it was supposed to be getting warmer. So I hit the gym today and did 4 miles on the track and then 4 miles on the treadmill. Wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. Hopefully, I will be able to get outside for at least my weekend runs soon. wbertha
              Ringmaster

No, no, I'm not joking. I've only tried one 10k so far and I did not do well at pacing--came in just squeaking under the 60 minute mark and am very disappointed with myself. We had a front move through our area early this morning. It was still raining as I pulled into the lot where my friend and I were meeting to run--figured rain would be good training for running in bad weather--but it turned out to be nice running weather for the six miles she ran with me--just cool and a little breezy. 'Course the four miles that I ran alone were a lot windier and it rained on me for about a half mile at the end. Left knee (which got examined by a dr about two months before the half) gave me a lot of trouble--ran the last two miles at about 11mm pace. Hoping he was right and there's no injury there. Did get the ten in but mostly out of stubborness and b/c he said there's no injury and I'm trusting the md. Wbertha, hmmmmm . . . any run with a "Beast" in it sounds daunting. What's the charity? Sorry your weather is messing up your training schedules . . . won't complain about rain any more . . . K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

ohanapecosh

11 miles today - my longest run since 2004. Woo hoo. It went fairly well, slow and steady. Everything hurt a little bit, but not excessively. I've got 5 weeks until my race. I had a good week - 35 miles. That's also my highest mileage week in a very long time, and I think I'm feeling it a bit.

jules2

5 steady miles listening to Gwen Stefani one the USA's best exports. What worries me is that the storms ( your worst exports ) you are mentioning appear to be heading our way. We have severe storms predicted tonight yet its bright and sunny now. Could be a problem flying to Holland Tuesday for the CPC Half but its not until Saturday I hate being stuck in airports.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

wbertha

The charity is for "big Brother & Big Sisters". I'm really not running the race for a particular time. Just a chance to get out and run and to spend time with my daughter. That is reason enough. Did 4 miles at the gym today for a total of 24 for the week. Next week will be an off week due to traveling and a weekend 5K. But I am certainly looking forward to a short work week. K and Pinwheel, great job on the long runs this weekend. Hopefully, I will be there soon. Jules, good luck on your upcoming race. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Friday's 6 miler got rained out, which means I had to run Saturday instead. I got out early in the morning before the rain picked up again. 7.6 Saturday morning. This morning it was chilly and windy, but I managed to get 13.5 miles in. This week I ended up a little over 41 miles.

Not at it at all. 

marflair

Bertha, You are running the Shamrock Shuffle, right? My dh, ds and I are doing it too. The hill you are talking about - Observatory Hill is very steep. We plan on walking up most of it - I think as new runners, it will be too difficult for dh and ds to run up. Like you, I am not "racing' it - just going out to have fun. I'll let you know what I am wearing. Mary
                          wbertha

Mary, yes, you are correct. We are doing the Madison Shamrock Shuffle. How long is the hill that they are talking about? 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile? Or is it just that it is very steep but not so long? It is supposed to be pretty cold on Sunday so I will be wearing black long sleeved top and black running pants. Wow, only me and about 75% of the other runners. But I will be wearing a deer stocking hat (complete with antlers and tail) a must have accessory to go with my bright outfit. lol Did 4 slow but steady miles on the treadmill tonight. That makes 16 miles in 3 days for me which is very good. Will be taking tomorrow off as a rest day and not doing anything too fast the rest of the week. wbertha
                            marflair

Bertha, I would guess that the hill is between 1/4 - 1/2 mile - it really isn't too long but is steep with curves so you can't see the end! I will be looking for you. I will probably be in maroon pants (ugly but they are comfy) and a blue and white Nike shell jacket - grey and pink earmuffs if it is cold. My dh and ds (age 13) will be with me. Our forecast says 38 and partly sunny - hope it holds! Mary
                              wbertha

Mary, thanks for the hill info. don't know whether I will try to jog up the hill or end up walking parts of it. guess only time will tell. the weather may also be a factor. good luck on Sunday!!! yesterday was a rest day for me. had my annual physical after work. did 4 miles today. the first 2.5 were at a pretty decent speed (for me) on the track and then cooled down with 1.5 on the treadmill. finished off my workout with some weights and core work. will be out of town the next few days so will not be able to post. talk to everyone again on Monday. good runs to all. question...as the use of an indoor running area (14 laps to a mile) is a new experience for me, I was just wondering how the times compare to running outside on a flat asphalt trail? thanks, wbertha