Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

Prince of Fatness

Mr. PH, I did Allentown in 2004-5&6 1:44:46 in 2004 was my best time. Couldn't make it last year, this year I got a brother getting married, again. My wife has a brother there so I'll be back for it one of these years.
    It's a nice race. I hear comments that it's hilly but I really don't think so. There are some hills but they are short. I think it's a fast course. It's really a no-brainer for me, about a half hour drive from home, right time of year weather wise, etc. Last year they added corrals, based on projected finish time. I think they did that because the field has grown over the last couple of years. I think they cap it at 2500 now. I PR'd there in 2006 at just under 1:43. Originally I was shooting for that but the 10K I ran in early February got me thinking 1:40. My training is going so well at this point it's scary.

Not at it at all. 

Me and the boys

Missed the last 4 days. DH and I took the boys and one of Cody's friends, and went camping at the ocean. It was a great time, but I forgot my running shoes! Had everything else, but forgot the stinkin' shoes! Thankfully I only missed a day of cross training and one 3M run. Considering I spent two days at the beach chasing kids around, I figured I did okay. Tonight got in my 7M, and beat last weeks fime by almost 8 full minutes! I think last week I tried to "save some" so I could finish the whole 7M, and tonight I knew I could, so I pushed myself more. felt great.
      -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
        Misty, a minute per mile improvement is huge, something to be said for running on sand dunes.. Jules, I like your suggestion about listening to footfalls. i do think the shoes account for part of the difference: in Asics, which seen to have a higher heel, I scuff the heels sometimes, in brooks Axiom, which have a less flexible sole I find I "clomp" more, but my Saucony's are just right, (like baby bear's porridge in the Goldilocks story!) I will need new shoes soon, so I will try listening as I do a test run in the store. Mr.PH that target sounds pretty tough. I remember not much more than a year ago doing 6 kms in 36 minutes and being quite pleased with myself, so the idea of running under 5 mins/km, or 8 minute miles for a half marathon is intimidating. I hope to get to that 1:45 benchmark this October, but lots of work ahead to achieve that. Did just under 8 miles with hills on Friday, biking on Saturday froze my face! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mattw1970

Injured

Havent popped in this thread in a while: I have a 10 mile race coming up on Sunday ( Ocean Drive in Cape May/ Wildwood) thats going to be used as a half marathon MP run basically. Maybe a little faster. We will see how the shore winds are. MR. PH your 1/2 marathon PR is at Lehigh Valley 1/2 ? Have you done other courses for the 1/2? If so which ones ? I guess im just a little nervous of the hills that people have told me about around mile 8 and I think mile 10 and then the finish. I run hills regularly so it shouldnt be that big a deal but I am shooting for 1:32 or so and my PR was on a relatively flat Philly marathon 1/2 course at 1:34:30. If you feel the hills are short and not much to worry about then maybe my goal is doable. Im coming off my strongest 10K race ever a couple weeks back ( 41:19) and my miles have been about 10 mpw ( around 40 mpw average since the start of the year) higher than the miles I was running when I did the Philly half so I think I should be in good shape. My long runs have definitely been longer this training cycle ( 12-15 mile long runs compared to 10-13 mile long runs last sept-nov) so that should make a difference too. we shall see A few ive talked to about the Lehigh Valley 1/2 course have said to not start out too fast as its a fast first 6 miles or so. Do those of you who have run this agree ?
          INJURED
          Ringmaster

Sorry, Matt. My territorry includes very few hills. I'm sure someone will come along to help you strategize for your race. Ran a 5K Sat. I laughed b/c other runners said the course was "hilly" and I knew some of you would laugh at the gentle inclines they were calling hills--nothing more than the gentlest slopes. Didn't PR, but I was running on the back end of an upper respiratory infection so I shouldn't have expected my best time. Still, I was pleased with myself--ran what I felt was a consistent, easy pace. Got passed a lot in the early going but passed plenty of those people back before we were even to the turnaround. It was such a small race that even my non-PR finish of 27:04 allowed me to place in my age group--yay! Ugh. Salt on the face. That's a new phenomenon for me too. MrPH, toward the end of my training, when I thought a faster goal than originally planned might be attainable, I, too, thought "My training is going so well at this point it's scary." I shaved at least ten minutes off my projected finish; I hope you end up doing just as well! Misty, good for you on your new time for your 7 miler. I'm discovering that I can push myself more than I thought too. Here's to us!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

wbertha

Misty, that's a fantastic improvement. Mary, good to have you back. I am not doing Crazy Legs this year but maybe some year. My next event is a small 2 miler for a local charity. What did you think of the hills in the Shuffle course??? Only 8 weeks left before Fargo. Training is going well but I'm getting a little worried because very little of it has been outside. Not planning anything near a 1:40...not even planning to hit 2:40...maybe some day. Oh well, at least I'm off the couch. Now, I just need to figure out how to get away from the dinner table and get Mother Nature to cooperate so that I can get outside. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

MR. PH your 1/2 marathon PR is at Lehigh Valley 1/2 ? Have you done other courses for the 1/2? If so which ones ? I guess im just a little nervous of the hills that people have told me about around mile 8 and I think mile 10 and then the finish. I run hills regularly so it shouldnt be that big a deal but I am shooting for 1:32 or so and my PR was on a relatively flat Philly marathon 1/2 course at 1:34:30. If you feel the hills are short and not much to worry about then maybe my goal is doable. A few ive talked to about the Lehigh Valley 1/2 course have said to not start out too fast as its a fast first 6 miles or so. Do those of you who have run this agree ?
                Matt, yeah I'm running Lehigh Valley. This will be fifth year in a row for this half. I've only run one other half, which was at Sandy Hook a few years ago. You describe the hills right. The ones at 8 and 10 are in the park. While they are somewhat steep, they are very short. The one at the end is at the entrance to the stadium. You run up a ramp from the street to the track. Again, it's steep but short. I really wouldn't worry about the hills. You're putting in the mileage plus have been running hills, you'll be fine. If there is anything about this course that slows me down its the cinder paths in the park. I pretty much do all of my training on pavement. And yes, the first mile is downhill, so you do need to watch your pace. After the first mile it levels off.
                MrPH, toward the end of my training, when I thought a faster goal than originally planned might be attainable, I, too, thought "My training is going so well at this point it's scary." I shaved at least ten minutes off my projected finish; I hope you end up doing just as well!
                I'm feeling confident, but can safely say I won't go ten minutes under my time goal. If I did that I think I'd be playing the lottery that night!

Not at it at all. 

Me and the boys

Thanks everyone! I cant believe how much I can improve my time, and how much better my over all physical fitness feels too. Tonight was a 3M. Did it is 38:08, which is a 12:43 mile average. I walked a quarter mile for warmup, counted in that, and only had to walk 1/16th of a mile after that. My goal was just to finish the HM on 5/3, but shoot, my new goal may just turn out to be not walking on the whole route!! I'm not gonna go crazy about it, but that would be so awesome.
                  Ringmaster

Misty, my goals changed during training too. I know you'll do great on race day! Wbertha, I got to do very little of my training outside too--mostly just long runs. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I was okay on race day. You still have several weeks, and the weather's bound to improve--right? 5 Monday with intervals, 6.2 today easy.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go, Misty! By the way, you have beautiful children! Teresa

Me and the boys

wbertha-I havent ran outside in almost 2 months. All my training has been on the TM. DH works nights, so its hard to get outside with the kids and all. I totally understand! Vix-thanks! I am sure I will do fine too. At Easter I was talking to two of my nephews about the HM. They were really interested, but no where near ready for a HM (17 and 13). There is a 5K the same day, same start/finish line, so I signed them up for that! They were both excited for it. Neither of them have been to a race yet, so we can help them get started, then my brother will be there when they cross the finish line. Super stoked to have it be a family affair. Teresa-Thanks!! I am pretty fond of the boys, and think they are awfully cute too... although, I could just be biased. Cool

Prince of Fatness

Tempo run this evening. It was windy again. There's a surprise. 2.2 miles warm up 5.5 miles @ 7:35 2.1 miles cool down

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I havent ran outside in almost 2 months. All my training has been on the TM. DH works nights, so its hard to get outside with the kids and all.
                            I've been complimented here for my dedication, and it is appreciated, but you folks running all those miles on the TM are the real dedicated ones. I'm not sure I could do that.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Got in 4miles and weights last night. Did a 5 mile tempo run tonight. The last few minutes seemed really, really long. I divided the run up and did the first half on lap track and the second half on the treadmill. Sure hope spring gets here soon. Misty, will this be your first half marathon? Where is it and what does the course look like? wbertha
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been complimented here for my dedication, and it is appreciated, but you folks running all those miles on the TM are the real dedicated ones. I'm not sure I could do that.
                                Well, for me it comes down to, "Am I going to run this HM or not?" If so, I have to keep increasing my long runs on a regular schedule. And if it's 38 degrees with 25-mph wind, I'm not strong enough yet to do that outdoors. So I made it 8.6 miles on a TM Saturday. It did seem endless, but I did it! I'm just hoping I'm about done with that for the winter. I'm not sure I could do 13.1 miles on a TM!