Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - December 2011 (Read 509 times)

Hey, not sure if there's some protocol on starting the new month's thread, but I'm logged in, so....

Looking forward to December, the start of the season where my lunchtime runs are the only time I feel the sun during the workday, when it’s never too hot out, when I get the crazy looks from others in the locker room as I put on my hat to head outside, when the promise of new gear on the 25th looms, when annual mileage goals are made or lost, and new ones calculated for the new year, when any runs in the dark are at least punctuated with happy lights on porches and yards…

This month I should:

-          Pass doubling my annual mileage from 2010!

-          Continue re-building my post-injury base (finding running sweeter after that long layoff)

-          Try and remember that Christmas vacation should be about family first, and running somewhere far further down the list

-          Finish the year with a solid base to start a 12 week-ish plan to race 13.1 on April 1.

Let's hear those December goals, thoughts, and plans...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Protocol-schmotocol - Kevin if you are logged in, you start the thread! Nice work sir! Smile

Sorry I was not around much to post in November. It was a crazy bonkers month. Several business trips and a family vacation to Disney and I just did not have time to post here much if at all. Enjoyed reading all your news through the month though. Great stuff.

Even with all the travel and crazyness I managed to stick to my training plan through November. I dropped 1 run somewhere in the middle of the month as I just ran out of hours in the day. I even ran on the Dreadmills at Disney at about 10pm a couple of times, after the kids and the missus were asleep. Mickey's treadmills suck just as much as anyone else's there was no "Zip" and very little "do Dah" to be had in the Disney gym I can tell you! Clown

I am less than THREE days (and one final taper 2 mile run) away from my first full Marathon. Excited and scared all at once. The weather forecast could be better - "lingering rain with cool temperatures; an overnight low of 43 and a high between 48 and 50. 12 MPH winds" - but hey, I can't do anything about that.

Happy to take any tips anyone has at this late stage. It's just two 10 milers and a 10k right Andy?

Also traditional in December is not just to talk about this month's goals but also goals for this year and next year too. How was your running year when you look back in review? What about 2012 - are you going to set yourself any goals, if so... care to share?

My biggest 2011 goal is coming up on Sunday, so no comment from me on that topic until next week.

Hope you are all doing good.

Cheers!

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

an amazing likeness

It's just two 10 milers and a 10k right Andy?

If only that were the case, if only.

Matt -- you've gotten fantastic advice out in the main forum. Let's sum it up...

#1. You're well trained. You've done the work.

#2. Your 20 milers had no major drama.

#3. You're well rested, tapered and ready to go.

#4. You know what to do...you know what the effort should feel like.

Ok, if want a cliche, here's one -- it's just another of those 20-milers with a 10K tacked on.  Don't even look at your Garmin for the first 3 miles -- just run comfy, then settle in and bring it home.

Good luck!  Go Matt !!   (cowbell, cowbell, cowbell)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Go for it, Matt!! You'll do great!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Thanks for kicking off the month, Kevin.

I am presently suffering from a cold, bad enough that I took today off work, so no running.

Hope you have a great run on Sunday, Matt.

I felt a little pride in our group when I saw your post on the main forum- I feel we all have a mutual interest in the success of any member of our group.

We are all pulling for you to have a successful marathon!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mickey's treadmills suck just as much as anyone else's there was no "Zip" and very little "do Dah" to be had in the Disney gym I can tell you! Clown

This just made me laugh. Love it! You've done the work and you will do well on race day. Smile

I got back on track in November with running after a lousy October. I hit my mileage goal for the year on Thursday (600 miles) so now I'm chasing my stretch goal of 650. I hit 46 miles in November so it's doable if I can stay disciplined. I'm doing a 5K Resolution Run on January 01; I'd like to be prepared and really enjoy that run. Usually the end of the year is not high mileage so I'm hoping this year will be different.  Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Good luck Matt!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Go Matt!

I'm all packed and ready for a monster trail with my kids tomorrow. 53km!!  We will jog some of it and walk some of it with the wife support crew at points along the way so we can travel light and move with some stealth.  If my girls make it the full distance I will be nearly as proud of them as I will be of me for making the distance hehe

Excited

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                  Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Go Matt!

I'm all packed and ready for a monster trail with my kids tomorrow. 53km!!  We will jog some of it and walk some of it with the wife support crew at points along the way so we can travel light and move with some stealth.  If my girls make it the full distance I will be nearly as proud of them as I will be of me for making the distance hehe

Excited

Craig, that is very cool. I hope it's a great day and you share that "race" report with us. Sounds like the kind of day you'll never regret. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks gang - all carbo loaded and ready to go here. Race report some time tomorrow I hope! Smile

2017 Goals
                      1) Run more than 231 miles
                      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ok Guys, as requested here is my "race report".  it ended up an epic as we took a wrong turn at one point and ended up having to backtrack.  All up we clocked in 56.8km with 4 breaks along the way.  It took us 14 hours in total, and yes both my 13yo twin daughters made it! 

Please watch :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7NNSMHqo0

Look forward to your report Matt

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Fabulous report Vino! What a wonderful experience and memory for those two lovely young athletes of yours!

Matt - hope all went well for your race today.

I think I'm ready to start rebuilding the base I lost from 2 weeks of severe bronchitis. I did some walking this weekend, but am still trying to recover full lung function. I don't think I have ever been that sick. I stayed in bed for Thanksgiving, giving thanks that I could breath.

I signed up for the Wineglass half marathon in Sept '12, but still looking to find one in the spring to get me trained up again over this winter. 

Running goals - short term - get back to 25 mpw, longer term - build a consistent 9-10 mi long run, then 2 half marathons in '12!

an amazing likeness

Matt's got his results in his log -- fastest split was mile 26 !!!

That's freakin' impressive.

Not too shabby at all, Matt. Fantastic work man.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Congratulations to Matt -- very fine race indeed! Can't wait to read the RR.

Vino - your girls are awesome!!  I can't think of a single 13-year-old I've ever heard of who could do what they've accomplished. I watched all the videos - gorgeous country you live in. What a wonderful bonding experience for all of you your adventures must be.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Wow!!!

That's for both of you guys- I am beyond impressed, just wonderful.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.