Half Marathon Trainers

September training and chatting. (Read 477 times)

First of all, for Mandy and Vino, heard about the earthquake in New Zealand, hope you guys and your family and friends are safe.

I have done a little more running than I have bothered to log, but not much- so hopeto get bach to training this month. Weather is a bit cooler this weekend and it is the Labour Day long weekend so I have an opportunity to get a good start to the month.

I have reluctantly realised that I am have no hopeof getting in shape to run a marathon by November,so will work towards ississauga or the rescheduled Goodlife Fitness Toronto masrathon in May. That way I will be able to do it properly, I hope.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mandy posted in another group that she's alright. Some shaking, but nothing major where she is. I hope Vino can check in well with us soon too!

Well, I'm 8 days out from my race. (That noise you hear is my herd of butterflies.) I've got a 12 mile run tomorrow and all my other runs this week coming are 2-4 miles. I'm guessing at this point my training is pretty much done and what I do this week isn't going to make a big difference so I think I need to just do my runs and try to work on the mental game. I'm nervous that I'm not ready. Joking 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hang in there Simon.  Just focus on that May race and git 'er done!!!

Meg, you have worked hard, so don't let those butterflies bother you.  As soon as the race starts they will go away and you will kick some butt.

I am still coming off my "high" of the Hood to Coast experience of last weekend.  It has me very excited for my last goal race coming up in mid October.  I feel really strong and confident......now I just have to kick up my tempo/hill workouts if I have any hope to set another PR for that race.

Cheers everyone!!! 

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Yip, all good here.  Have a few workmates in Christchurch and they are ok but with a lot of cleaning up to do.  It was a miracle no one was killed.  if this quake occured on a work day there would have been fatalities.  I have seen some pictures of collapsed high racking in a customers warehouse (see other post) and you wouldnt be surviving if you were under that.

Running here has been a bit quiet for me.  5km series starts tomorrow but weather forecast is for strong winds and rain so I might be postponing a week.  I ran 17km on wednesday and out for about 12-14km after I type this message!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Vino and Meg, good to hear you're okay. Simon, I know exactly how you feel. Right now I'm not targeting any races, but am continuing to increase mileage and getting back in shape again. Starting to run much better and managed an 8M run on my Birthday on Friday. That is my longest run of the year. I'm making sure to stick with my routine of 1/2 walk before my run, then 15 minutes stretching and massaging the calf and then repeating after my run. Leg is feeling good, but I'm afraid to run on it without my wrap. Meg, we've all had the butterflies, so don't worry about them. Do your training, keep nourished and set your race plan and go out there and try to execute that plan. Don't let the butterflies get you so worked up that you go out and run too fast

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Meg,  good luck to you !  all your training will get you through.

I took to heart all the suggestions the group had on improving my speed.   I've been concentrating on going out slower and finishing faster.  That's been difficult but its good training for racing.  Also, I did sprints today.  2 telephone poles sprint, 2 telephone poles recovery for about 1.5 miles.  I also ran my long run on Saturday from 8-10 versus 6-8 so that I was running in the sun just like I would be for any race.

Thanks for all the suggestions, the only things I haven't done is hill repeats and strength training.  I did bike 15 miles on Sunday as cross training.   

I like doing other activities as cross training, and enjoy cycling at least once a week, though not in winter when there is snow or ice!

I have also mixed in a bit of swimming, though I am not a graceful swimmer, and rowing around a lake on a boat, w2hich is good for the abs

, shoulders and back, and very enjoyable.

Ran 10.7 kms. or 6.6 miles last night with a run group. It was supposed to be easy pace as they are doing 8x800 tonight, but turned into a progression run. Easy day for me today, I think!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Does everyone do their long runs on the weekends?  i just mapped out 12 miles for tomorrow morning.  someday I hope this won't seem like something hanging over my head on Friday night.    

Eat well, sleep well and get ready for those long runs!

Sam

HappyFeat

Probably all of us who work weekdays....

I'm planning on doing 13 tomorrow morning - same course as last Saturday, but hopefully a smoother ride.

As for your "Friday night feeling", Sam, hmmm....is it because it takes up so much of the day? or because you don't enjoy the time spent running? or what exactly? Could you elaborate? For me,  I have some sense of unease the night before because these days I'm not sure how it will go; but in general I look forward to it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Meg,

I think on Friday night its just general foreboding to have a big run in front of me.   I did 12 today and it went fine, mile 10-11 my knees were hurting but as I continued and the pain went away.   I enjoy running however i'm still not used to double digit runs so they feel big and ominous to me until I finish and get on with my life.   

Today we are celebrating my son's 8th birthday by having 3 of his friends come over, play minigolf and bumper boats then pizza and then a sleep over and I let me daughter have a friend over for everything but the sleepover so its 6 kids.    They are presently playing Wii and I'm on my 2nd glass of red wine so all is well.

Sam

HappyFeat

Sam - so glad you were able to work through the knee pain to run the whole way. 

I did my 13 miles, but had to stop in the middle of mile 10 to stretch out my right hamstring. It was giving me an increasing sharp pain medial right  knee  and clearly wasn't going away unless I stretched. Dang! I wanted to make it all the way through without stopping! Still it was a vast improvement over last weekend. I kept trying to focus on my posture, trying to relax , and settle into a comfortable pace.  I thought about adding on a mile to make 14 since I felt okay through the 13th; but found that I had only mentally prepared for 13 and completely fell apart when that was done. I made it to 13.4 and gave up. 

Sam, Good to see you adding some speedwork into your runs.  How much did you increase your pace by for those runs in between the poles?

Now that I'm getting stronger, I've got to heed my own advice and start some speedwork. 

To answer your question (in another post) about doing long runs on the weekends, I think the overall answer is what HappyFeat siad, because we all work during the week and it's time consuming, we are kind of forced to do so. 

By the way, where in CT are there bumper boats?  The only ones I'm aware of n the area are in R.I.

I took to heart all the suggestions the group had on improving my speed.   I've been concentrating on going out slower and finishing faster.  That's been difficult but its good training for racing.  Also, I did sprints today.  2 telephone poles sprint, 2 telephone poles recovery for about 1.5 miles.  I also ran my long run on Saturday from 8-10 versus 6-8 so that I was running in the sun just like I would be for any race.

Thanks for all the suggestions, the only things I haven't done is hill repeats and strength training.  I did bike 15 miles on Sunday as cross training.   

LPH

HappyFeat, Great Display of Mental toughness.  something we don't discuss very much around here, but it is a key factor to running, especially on longer runs.  it's what helps us through the bordome, the pain and of course the "I can't go on anymore"!

Good effort to even try to add an extra mile on.  Don't think of that as a failure, but a succes that you added .4 on.

I did my 13 miles, but had to stop in the middle of mile 10 to stretch out my right hamstring. It was giving me an increasing sharp pain medial right  knee  and clearly wasn't going away unless I stretched. Dang! I wanted to make it all the way through without stopping! Still it was a vast improvement over last weekend. I kept trying to focus on my posture, trying to relax , and settle into a comfortable pace.  I thought about adding on a mile to make 14 since I felt okay through the 13th; but found that I had only mentally prepared for 13 and completely fell apart when that was done. I made it to 13.4 and gave up. 

LPH

HappyFeat

Thanks for the acknowlegement, LPHSmile  It sometimes surprises me what a large part the mind plays in running.

If I just think to myself "relax"  or my latest posture mantra "stack and pack" (meaning ears over shoulders over hips over feet) and (strong core), I find my body follows along and I am more comfortable wihout having to make a big physical effort. In general, I find that the run is easier and muscles perform better the more relaxed I am.

Mental toughness is essential to put this into practice when it's hard, like at the end of yesterday's run. I know I didn't "fail," but I actually didn't put anything into play except trying to keep going.  Mental toughness is definitely something I want to work more on. 

Well everyone, I have an announcement to make Smile  , I'm shooting to for a HM in two weeks.

Today, I broke a lot of rules.  My longest runs of the year were in the past two weeks and they were only 8 miles each on a very flat course.  So I had pretty much decided not to try and run a HM in two weeks and had prety much figured I wouldn't get one in this year at all. 

However, today I went out to run 10 miles and ran 11.1 miles on a tougher course and still felt like I had something in the tank.  So next Sat (I'll be traveling on Sunday) I'm going to go out and run a HM course that is right in my backyard for a race being held there on Sat 9/25.  If I survive the course I'm going to go ahead an race it the following week. 

Been a tough year for me, but the past 6 weeks or so I've really been putting it together, getting stronger, and getting my mental toughness back. I'm running comfortably at the moment and although i know I'm not going to have a chance to PR this and break 1:40:00, it'll be a major accomplishment for me so that the year doesn't end up being a total washout.

I have to say though, part of me geting back into the groove of things is being back here again with all of you and amongst fellow runners and friends.

HappyFeat!  I think you have more Mental Toughness than you think.  Continue to push yourself a little more each by going a little further than you had planned, just like you did yesterday. 

LPH