Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April (Read 543 times)

To start off April, I'm looking for someone to take over as Admin for the group. 

For reasons that I don't wish to go into here, I no longer wish to continue as the groups administrator.  Although my initial absence began due to work schedule something else came up that made me decide to be a silent member. 

I offered the role back to Teresa some time ago, but she has not responded and so I now offer the role to someone else.

In reality, there is "NO" work involved in being the Admin, but it's nice to have it for setting threads and general maintenance if needed.  Or you can get more involved and do more with it.

Know that I am healthy and have just wrapped up working 6 days a week 80-90 hrs and taking work home with me.  Government outbriefing just took place and we passed with flying colors, so all of our hard work paid off.

As such, I am slowly returning to running, squeezing in a couple of days last week, a run last night and heading out to run tonight.

Be well my friends and keep up the pace.  I'll be stopping in regularly to see what's going on, but not participating very often.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Larry - sure sorry to hear that you won't be posting here any more.  I sent you a PM and am good to do the admin stuff if you have had no other takers.

For me April is kicking off kinda weird. I have my first ever 5k "race" next weekend. I want to get a good time but I will admit to being a little unsure how hard to go out. Aside from that it's a case of keeping on logging the miles. It's lovely, if a little windy, in the mornings here in N. Texas right now!

Stay well everyone and let us know how you are all doing?

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Matt.....you just reminded me.  I need to register for a 5K that will be my qualifier to get into my desired corral at the Bolder Boulder (10K).  That race is so large that I want to be with similar pace folks so I am not stumbling all over people.......which happens anyway.  I haven't run a 5K in 3 years, so that should be interesting.....

Had a slow week last........23 miles.  I hope to get 30 in this week.  Weather is finally getting about perfect here for running during my pre-dawn miles........gotta love spring!!

I hope everyone else is doing well.............CHEERS!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I am trying to get back into a routine after a couple of weeks off due to a change of ownership at work causing me to have other priorities!

On a positive note, my son has been accepted by all the universities he applied to for graduate studies, has chosen the one he likes best, and has a scholarship and offer of a part time teaching assistant position which will pay his tuition, rent, books and food, so he is all set.

Tried a 5k tempo run yesterday and had a fairly wretched time, so have lost a lot of fitness, though my weight is still the same. I am dreading trying longer runs on the weekend!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I need to get registered for the 10K I want to run in May. This month I'm hoping to get back on track and get up to running 5 days a week again. We'll see how that works with my kids and my DH starting ball season. I've been thinking maybe this month I should try running first thing in the morning before my husband leaves for work.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Matt, got your message and have made you an Administrator for the time being until I can figure out how to turn ownership over to you. 

Thanks for volunteering for this task.  It was thrust upon me when Teresa decided to relinquish it and I didn't want to just dump it on someone. 

Good luck and if you ever need anything, I'm a PM away or you can pull up my email address from my profile.

So with that said, I'm signing off for tonight and going out to run a few miles.

Larry

LPH

Simon, congratulations on your son's accomplishments.  You must be very proud.

So this week finds me in Beijing and after a few deep breaths, I quickly determined that all running would be done indoors.  I'm not sure how the Olympians did it. One good thing about the 12 hour time difference is that I can't sleep past 5:00am so it's pretty easy to get a run in before work.

I think I've just about mastered the treadmill conversion from kph to mph.  The first minute or so I was a bit confused by my new found speed.

awaldvogel, Beijing, WOW!!!  Hopefully I'll get to China some day.

Everyone, I just had to brag about my run today.  I think this had to be about one of the best runs I can remember in some time.  4 miles, mid-day after about 3 hours on conference calls (stressed).  Crystal blue sky, about 55 degrees F, just the slightest breeze, and I ran four consecutive negative splits......9:00, 8:46, 8:23, and 7:51 (pace per mile).  I think that last mile is the fastest mile I may have logged running since I started 5 years ago. 

Wow, and that reminds me..........it was 5 years ago next week when I started running.  Amazing how time flies.......but more amazing I have stuck with this running thing.

Hi y'all

The start of my April has not gone to plan. Work has been a killer this week. I got out to run on Monday morning but then I was locked in a project "war" room 12+ hours a day and did not get out until Thursday night. So much pent up energy on that run I averaged 1min/mile faster on the 6 miles I got in. I'm tired and grumpy so, for the first time since I started running I have pulled out of a race for a non injury reason (my 5k this Sunday).

I am going to get a long run in close to home on Sunday morning and try and run the week out of my system.

Simon - long run this weekend? Still on the cards? You can do it mate!

Meg - are you on to hit 5 runs this week?

Sean - nice run, similar to my Thursday one! Happy 5th anniversary!

awaldvogel - safe travels.... and slow down!

It's my 1 year RAnniversary next week. I'll have clocked 1300+ of my best (and slowest) miles in the 12 months since finding this site. Thanks you all for being part of the reason I'm still running.

Enjoy the weekend. Cheers

2017 Goals

Congratulations Matt and Happy anniversary.

LPH

Punkelvis

Sounds like April is a trial for a few people.

I lost a week of training when I couldn't get my asics cumulus 10s in the great white North. A switch to the 2150 resulted in blisters in my arch so big they had their own gravity fields. An addition of superfeet inserts only compounded the problems. A switch to Nike Air Pegasus 26 seems to have done the trick although this weekend's  17 KM run will ultimately tell the tale. Here is hoping with fingers crossed. 

2 months left until my first half marathon. The edge to edge in Ucluelet. 

1. Run first half marathon (June 13)

2. 1000km's this year

3. Stay healthy

I managed to do a 17.2km run, about 10.7 miles, on Sunday, so no long run. However, I stopped at the top of each hill, 5 in total, and did 10 pushups. That made the run a little harder.

My son is working really hard on fitness, ran 28 miles on Friday, 8 on Saturday, and 18 hill repeats with 5lb dumbells in each hand on Sunday.

Embarassing when I look at my feeble efforts, but then I am not 23 years old, it makes a difference!

Nice progression run, Sean, you were moving at the finish!

Good luck with the shoes, Elvis, hope they work out well for you.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sean, those are great times! I'm jealous, but then you've got more years of running than I do. Wink

Awaldvogel, the pics I've seen of Beijing do look awful and it sounds like they are right by your report. No wonder they shut factories for something like 6 weeks before and during the Olympics.

Well, last week was ugly but today's run was the first time I've run three days in a row. Usually, when I'm running well it's 2 days on, one off. It was good and a much better run than last week. Yoga class tomorrow. I think I'm going to run Mon-Wed-Thu-Sat-Sun so I should get  5 this week! It feels like I'm starting to get my run thing back after a really crappy March.

Elvis, this is my year for my first half too and I think it's exactly three months after yours. What a hassle about the shoes. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hi Gang

Just checking in to see if your April is going to plan?

I am really struggling to get the miles in this week.

I am going to have to run 9 tomorrow morning, instead of 5 to keep my miles up.... dam that 1500 mile pace bunny!

Elvis - Shoes work out OK?

Simon - Way for the kid to go - awesome. Not to shabby yourself either! Smile

Meg - Looking good for five this week according to your log - nice one.

Have a good weekend y'all

Cheers!

2017 Goals

Naw, Meg.......my times are getting better because of my solid base.  Makes me realize that anyone can bump up their speeds if they just put in the miles and push themselves now and then.

Matt, my training is on track.  Having some great runs the last several weeks now that the snow is gone and spring seems to have sprung.  Amazing how my attitude is so much better when the temperatures are warmer....

I hope everyone else is doing well with their running goals!!!!