Half Marathon Trainers

HTM September thread. (Read 328 times)

I can't believe we are already at Labour Day - the weather has been so warm and beautiful. Hard to believe summer is almost over, except of course, the ragweed allergies.

About 10 miles on September first, 3k slow to warm up, 5k tempo, 8k slow to cool down.

About 7 miles very slow with my son on September 2nd. He is training for ultras next year and takes his easy runs at just above a brisk walk.

I should probably learn from his patience.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

No allergies for me thankfully. 

Well, I'm down to the last few days before my goal race. My half is Sunday and a second race, a 10K, on the 29th. I'm ready for my half; I've done the training and logged more miles this year than ever. The mental part is a bit tougher; I'm nervous although I have no reason to be so. I'm hoping volunteering at kit assembly on Wed and packet pickup on Friday will help me get those nerves out of the way.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

I rode my bike today for the first time in...well a LONG time. I passed all the runners along the trail and I was so jealous of them! Running comes so much more naturally to me nowadays. It was HARD! The great thing about biking though, is you can coast...and still move forward. When you are running and your feet stop...you don't keep moving, LOL.

I think our heat index was 98 today? Spent the whole weekend at the pool/beach/river. Any body of water was fine and we took advantage of it. Here in Charleston we don't get a real fall. We pretend and put out mums and pumpkins and then the kids go trick or treating and sweat to death in their costumes!

Simon, that's cool your son is training for ultras! My friend keeps trying to convince me to do a 50K in Jan. I volunteered for it last year and it's a great event with cool peeps and a great vibe. But...I'm just not sure about it.

Meg! I think you are capable of so much more then you are giving yourself credit for! You are going to crush your goal! I just know you are going to be faster then 2:15...Let those legs do their thing Smile I can't wait to hear the report Sunday!

Hey, MT did you ever decide to do Kiawah in December? Or did you pick a different race?

vegefrog

Had my wisdom teeth taken out today. Was expecting it to be horrible, awful and to sleep all day. The procedure was basically a non-event: walked in signed the consent form, met the doctor asked him how soon I could run again and he said wait at least 48 hours, then go for it if I feel ok, he gave me the first 2 meds through the IV and...I woke up in the recovery chair taking pictures of myself and my mouth with my cell phone, LOL. Gotta post it on FB you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I've been taking my pain meds and icing my cheeks with frozen peas. Haven't slept much at all and I feel great other then having 3 holes in my mouth. Liquid diet through tomorrow at least I guess. Think I'll try to go for a bike ride Saturday and maybe a short 3-4 miles to see how it goes , then resume my long run Sunday if all goes well.

I have a lot of miles to run this month for sure! Time to start piling them on in preparation for my December marathon!!

My sympathy to you on the dental surgery, VF, I had a horrible time when mine were done many years ago, I still remember it.

Take it easy for a few days.

Got in about 10 miles today, cooler temps made it quite a nice run.

How is everyone else doing?

an amazing likeness

Careful with the workouts VF, gotta let those sockets heal over before you drive your blood pressure up. I can remember, all these years later, my mother coming into the living room where I was lying on the couch after having wisdom teeth out and asking "...can I have those bags of frozen corn back for tonight's dinner?".

Like you, Simon, I had an nice 10 miler today. On this same route 2 weeks ago, I stopped 3 times to (literally) sit down and gather myself up as I was getting woozy from the heat and humidity -- today didn't even break a sweat for a while and constantly had to back off the pace to keep it easy.

22 miles for me in the last two days, but still had less than 50 miles for the week...took a day off (first in 35 days) to try and get rid of some of the soreness in my legs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

ugh. still out for the count. this sucks. I'm grouchy...and hungryyyyyyyyyyyy!

To make matters worse we actually have nice, cooler temps this weekend and tommorrow is a high of 65 Sad I really might cry because I don't think I can run. One of these suckers had to really be extracted out and it's the only one still bothering me.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I feel your pain Veg! Our morning temps have dropped to low 60's the last few days and a few more going forward and I'm slowed down by lower back/right hip issue from running 4mi on an technical trail (uneven, large rocks, low limestone overhang in places). Hope we both heal quickly and get back on the stick with our training!

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

an amazing likeness

Welcome back Bob...great to have you back here, and back to your running. Hope you can keep movin' foward on the health front.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

It may be September. It may be a little cooler (in the mornings) - but one bane of summer is still out there...lurking...ready to mercilessly attack an unsuspecting runner who wanted to change up his morning warmup with a little jog through the woods - POISON IVY! D'oh.

Seems l'm increasingly allergic to the stuff as I age. Public thank you to the chemists who figured out prednisone. Only missed a day of running, and things are still a bit painful/itchy. Just a reminder to watch out, that stuff is still out there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I got out for my first run post-half. It felt good to get up and go. Somewhere along the way, this morning running has become a habit and the normal in my life. My quads are still a little sore, but otherwise feeling pretty good. I didn't take the watch this morning; the first run post-race for me is always a no-watch, no-pace run. Just go out on a route with a known distance and do it. To my surprise, I'm not struggling with huge post-race letdown/lack of motivation. Usually I am. It was chilly this morning too, only 5*C or 41*F with a 28kph wind. 

Kevin, that's lousy. I've never had an encounter with poison ivy, but it sounds perfectly wretched.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Phew, finally got a run in yesterday. Took it easy and it was fine. Today I'll do an easy 6... Did some sit ups and push ups and that felt like more pressure on my sockets then the running. Maybe I'll lay off the weights until next week.

Kevin, I am HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy! I can look at it and get it, LOL. When I was going through chemo 5 years ago one of my drugs was Predisone, and that's the only summer I didn't suffer from poison ivy Wink I hate the stuff. We go camping a lot and I try to avoid it, but like I said...it comes to me...I hope yours clears up soon!

Bob, sorry you are suffering from hip pain! It IS frustrating not to be able to stay on track with training. Good luck getting back to 100% Smile

Meg I'm glad you don't have any post-race blues Smile Probably because you are gearing up for that speedy 10K in a week or 2 right??

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Mt: Thanks for the encouragement. Back has improved greatly and my head has been straighter lately than it had been. So I must finally be on the right trajectory.

Kevin: arghhh on the poison ivy. Glad you didn't lose much running to it. We have some on the Lady Bird Lake trail but its marked and I stay away from it. Running sidewalks and streets allows me to mostly avoid it.

Meg: Morning run habit should be a lifetime thing by now! I can feel the difference when I don't get out. Since retiring it just happens a little later in the morning.

Veg: glad you got that run in w/o pain. So dang annoying isn't it when we get hurt.

Well back is at about 95% and good enough to hook up with the beginning running group this morning. We did 1.4 mi in 20 min using r/w 1:1, then I took Baxter for another 3/4 mi continuous run using low heart rate approach. Felt good and I enjoy being able to talk with someone while out there. At my slow pace, in this speedy town of Austin, its rare that I get to do that. No back twinging and I kept up with the group even when Baxter insisted on dead stop to poop! Got my HM training plan from the coach and will review to see what I think of it. I missed the first long run and they did it at a 12:48 pace which is faster than my HM PB!, heck my 5k PB is only 11:30 pace! So I'm going to have to think about how to train with them. Might run earlier so they catch up to me on the route near the finish (hopefully). My 12/2010 Decker Challenge time was 3:11 and I'd like to better it a little bit but also want to train without injury, which is difficult with this old and broken down body of mine, especially not starting out with those youngsters 100% healthy bodies! Big grin

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Sounds like Bob and VF are getting over their problems, so that is good news!

I have a little patch of poison ivy in my back yard, against the fence , really hard to eradicate that stuff as the runners underground seem to survive anything you can do to the plants. No kids or pets, except a turtle in a tank inside, so no real danger, but I have to watch out when trying to dig it up or spray it.

Good to hear that running has become a part of your routine, Meg, I wish I could say the same. I do get some encouragement from DW, but I am still hit and miss.

Missed a couple of runs this week for various reasons, also working both Friday and Saturday this week so will have to try to do a longer run on Sunday. Hope its cooler!

HappyFeat

Happy Saturday morning, everyone

Just finished coffee - yoga workout next - then go for a run.

I'm going out on my 10-mile rolling hills route and expect it will go well.

On the first run this week - after 2 days off - my legs felt like I was still running the end of the HM! Quads felt like they'd taken a beating and hams grabbed every time I tried to stretch the quads. I ran the last 3 nights though and each was much better than the one before it. By last night my legs felt perfectly normal - including the old right AT problem.  I'm beginning to suspect that is linked to either the shoes or the route -still need to figure out which. For the 2 weeks before the race, I ran in new shoes and not that particular route. The tight AT resolved and was never a problem in the race. This week, by the second run, it was back. Hmmm. I'll run in the new shoes today. The suspect route is the start of the rollling hills route, so I can't avoid that part. 

For my recent birthday, I got a couple of gift cards and have been having fun buying new running clothes. So far, a pair of teal green shorts, the tank I wore in the race and the same shirt in short sleeve. Last night I ordered a pair of plum colored shorts and matching short sleeve top - hopefully not toooo matchy matchy, but we'll see when they get here. I get so tired of the black shorts uniform, so this has been fun.

Tomorrow DH and I are going hiking again. The planned trail is just over 10 miles RT and has almost 3000 feet elevation gain. This will doubtless affect the rest of my running week, but will be so worth it. I love being in the mountains and there should be some great photo ops.  I'll post pics if any turn out.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.