Half Marathon Trainers

! Happy New Year ! (Read 521 times)

an amazing likeness

Happy New Year half marathon fans !

Time to log the last miles of 2009 and reset all the counters to 0 and start again....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Happy New Year everyone.

I hope you eventually find yourself back out on the roads in 2010, Andy.  Best wishes.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andy, I thought about you today as I was running on North Road!  Hoping you'll be running there soon.  I wore my bright yellow jacket and stayed as far off the road as I could.

Happy New Year! 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Happy New Year as well everyone!

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Best wishes to you, Milk Truck, after that nasty accident.

Hope we all have a better year in 2010!  (2009 was awful for me and my family: MIL died, my sister got breast cancer, cholera epidemic in Zimbabwe where my daughter lives.....)

Gotta look forward, not back.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts. I'm slowly making headway on the recovery.  My current target is a return to running for a July 4th race, but I made that goal up myself, so no ideas if the medical stuff will allow it to happen.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Happy New Year to all of you too! 2010 is the year I'm hoping to run my first half marathon. It'll be the weekend after the September long weekend. I've never done more than 10K at this point. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Lots of time to train, Meg, is that Scotiabank you're doing?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lots of time to train, Meg, is that Scotiabank you're doing?

Nope. Queen City Marathon in Saskatchewan.

I need lots of time to train. I want to be properly trained and prepared for this. I was looking at Hal Higdon's novice which would have me start half training in mid-June, but I'm not sure if that's the plan to use or not. I think being in this group should help me too even though it's ways off.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hi Meg and welcome to the group.  Who's to say what plan is best! 

So you've done a 10K before, that means you're halway there.

Looking at your log, looks like you took most of November and December off like I did.  Not a problem.

So I'm not going to recommend a particular plan, but here is what I will recommend.

1.  Start getting back into a regular routine and get your base back to where you were.

2.  Once you get your base back, then slowly (and I mean slowly) start increasing your longest run and adding on to at least one other run as well to start increasing your mileage.

3.  I think it's okay to start building to that HM early, because if you get thre early and continue, you'll only get stronger for Race day.

Then keep touching base with all of us on progress, aches and pains and plain old advice (good or bad).

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks. I had a bit of a breakthrough at New Years when I ran in -35*C with -46*C windchill. I realized i really don't mind running in the cold; what I dislike is the running in the dark because I do run alone. I'd fallen off with running in December bc of extreme temps (about 3 weeks of -40 wind) , but now they don't bother me now that I've had that light bulb moment. I think I'm getting back to normal. The nice thing about the weekend coming is daylight runs instead of sunset runs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

That was one bad-ass race Meg - I couldn't have done it in those temps! 

I'm new to the group too - Meg linked it in another group.  I am still only running about 3 miles at a time, but am planning the Vegas RnR half in December 2010.  I'm currently on the bench for another few days - I have a screwed up back, just needs another few days of rest so I'm spinning while I'm waiting for it to calm down a bit, should be back to running in a few days.  Hoping for Sunday.

I am taking all year to train because I am a hiker, and have a few other goals for the year:  snowshoeing to Camp Muir (Mt. Rainier base camp) in May, various regular backpacking trips through the summer, and the biggie:  climbing Mt. Adams in August.  It's a walk-up but it's still 12,000 feet and one heckuva steep climb with crampons.  BUT, then the half!!!! 

I have a 3.7 mile race in March; planning a 10K in May or June, and then the half in December.  It's hard to combine my hiking goals with running goals, but this will be my year to shine.  Smile  I'm excited!

Michelle

under a rock

I'm training for my first 13.1 at the end of Feb. I'm really excited. I'm hoping I'll love it. I did have my sights set on a Marathon this spring originally but decided that a half would be more fun and I can race the half vs just surviving a full at this point. I'll be doing my first 10 mile training run in over 8 years this Sunday and I'm more nervous about surviving the cold temps rather than the distance.

Glad to hear your have your sights on a July 4th race, Milktruck!

What a fantastic time!

Hi, I'm new to the group as well and followed the link from Meg as well.  "Hi Meg, Hi Michelle."

I had a goal to run a Half last Sept, but never got close to is, so am shooting for a Half again this Sept. 

I hate running in the cold, so I recently joined a gym and plan on hitting the treadmill at least three days a week until the weather clears.

Ideally I'd like to break 2 hrs.  Currently my longest race is 5 miles which I PRd this year at 39:46/7:57.  I'm more concerned with finishing than the time. 

I haven't planned out a training program to get there yet.  I'll worry about that in a few months as the weather changes.  But in the meantime, I thought it'd be good to start chatting with like minded people and see if I can keep myself motivated

Gail 

INCG

Hi Ashley, Gail and Michelle, nice to meet you all!

I do agree that running in the dark is not ideal, but i use a reflective band on each arm for safety and a small, cheap headlight, and run on the road not the sidewalk as it is better lit. This makes things reasonable.

Ashley, thats quite a decent mountain, 12,000 feet must take a while...how many days do you plan to take?

I have run very little since my last race in October, but am now starting to get back into the routine. I think the longer you prepare the faster you will run. I feel that what I am doing now will be the basis for my October half. Each run is a tiny part of my preparation.

Simon.