Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainiers - July 09 (Read 616 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon, thanks for the info - that helps.  Yeah, I just have to laugh when DS tells me the intervals he's doing.  I try to block it out, actually, so I don't get discouraged!

MrPH, great job on the race.  It does sound like you will be well-prepared for your marathon!

Brian, life does get in the way of running, doesn't it??  Today I had to fit in my hill work between visiting family, broken computer (only two months old!!!), son's college search stuff, client's picnic we had to attend, etc.  It's not the running that tires me out, but everything else!

Have a good evening!

Wow, what a week of struggling with my runs.  Was on vacation at the beach in Rhode Island and ran almost everyday, but really struggled with most of the runs.  Don't know if it was the humidity or what, but I usually run at the beach and don't have any major problems, but this week, I really struggled through it having to stop several times to walk.  Was home yesterday and went out for an easy 8.5 miles and had to stop and walk three times.  Yeah, it was pretty humid again, but this is not something that should be bothering me so much.  I'm off today and will resume my normal routine tomorrow night and see how difficult 5 miles is.  I was suppose to really start doing some speed work the next two weeks to prepare for a key 5M on 8/8 and a key 5K on 8/15, both are my PRs that I targeted to break.  I'm hoping this is not a sign of a breakdown or something, but right now I don't have it mentally or physically.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Former runner

Wow, what a week of struggling with my runs.  Was on vacation at the beach in Rhode Island and ran almost everyday, but really struggled with most of the runs.  Don't know if it was the humidity or what, but I usually run at the beach and don't have any major problems, but this week, I really struggled through it having to stop several times to walk.  Was home yesterday and went out for an easy 8.5 miles and had to stop and walk three times.  Yeah, it was pretty humid again, but this is not something that should be bothering me so much.  I'm off today and will resume my normal routine tomorrow night and see how difficult 5 miles is.  I was suppose to really start doing some speed work the next two weeks to prepare for a key 5M on 8/8 and a key 5K on 8/15, both are my PRs that I targeted to break.  I'm hoping this is not a sign of a breakdown or something, but right now I don't have it mentally or physically.

I had a week like that recently. I was on vacation but stayed at home to replace the roof on my garage. By Thursday I was a bit dehydrated from spending too much time in the sun and just didn't have the energy to run. That Saturday morning I set a 10k PR.

Ross

I had a week like that recently. I was on vacation but stayed at home to replace the roof on my garage. By Thursday I was a bit dehydrated from spending too much time in the sun and just didn't have the energy to run. That Saturday morning I set a 10k PR.

I tried to keep myself fairly well hydrated and always carry water with me (have a waterbelt) but on the other hand was consuming more alcohol than usual at night, so dehydration may have been a part. 

Was off last night and will go out and do 5 miles tonight on my normal trails and try to get a real feeling/gauge of where I'm at and take it from there.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Not much new here.  It's finally hit 80 degrees in Maine.  Feels great!  It was a very humid 67 degrees this morning when I ran, but I am NOT complaining.  This is historically the hottest week of the year here, so next week we will be heading towards winter.

Larry, DS and I visited Amherst on Monday.  What a great school and coach!  Coach Nedeau was the first Mainer to break a 4-minute mile, and he had SO much great advice.  Amherst says they give no merit aid, but a couple of people on the RA Master's board told me we should try anyway, because if they really like a student athlete, they'll give him aid and call it something else.  We will get very little, if any, need-based aid (as if we're rolling in money or something, lol!).

It will be a hard decision, because one school, Susquehanna, has already told him he'll probably get a full-tuition scholarship if he goes there.  So what do you do?  Pick the lesser school that will keep the family out of debt, or pay through the nose for a well-known college with an excellent running program?  Yikes.  I guess we'll just wait until all the financial aid numbers come in next April.  Eight months of this process to endure.

Teresa, very hard decision, you need to weight the education he'll get vs the cost (free/subsidized/fully out of pocket)  Also please keep in mind the coach he'll run for as my experience has been that there are some good coaches out there who don't give a damn about your kid to poor coaches who are great role models. 

Oh, by the way speaking of the Maine Mile.  Don't know if I ever mentioned it before.  My wife works in an assisted living facility.  She has a resident Al Whitmyer (I think that's how it was spelled) who recently pased away from MS .  Anyway, when he was in high school, he set the Maine record for the mile. Not sure of the dates or the time, but he was a man my wife was very fond of and spent many hours sharing our son's running woes and triumphs with.  Just a really nice man that touched her heart and soul

LPH

LPH

I tried to keep myself fairly well hydrated and always carry water with me (have a waterbelt) but on the other hand was consuming more alcohol than usual at night, so dehydration may have been a part. 

Was off last night and will go out and do 5 miles tonight on my normal trails and try to get a real feeling/gauge of where I'm at and take it from there.

Had a really great run on Monday night, completing a 5M in a 7:31 pace which is 13 seconds (pace) from where I need to be next week (8/8/09) to PR my 5M.  Felt really good during the run and never felt like giving up.

Ran 6.5 last night with a friend and she kept me at a much slower pace (8:14) while I kept her at a faster pacer than she normally runs.

Tonight was really humid and I set out to do 5.5 on hills and had to stop and walk on the4 very last hill. Not real upset with it, just pissed that I lacked the MOJo to tough it out. Especially since I really kept tjhe pace slow (around 8:00 factoring out the 1 minute walk) 

I've got to stay focused and regain my mental toughness for the next couple of weeks as I approach my key 5M and 5K races targeted for my PR

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry - Al sounds like a neat person. MS is a bad disease, huh?  My RP's cousin, in her early 60s, has it.  You would never know it, though!  She regularly places in her AG in races and triathlons.  My RP says she NEVER brings it up.  What a role model she is.

I will see if I can find Al online.

Less than 36 hours until my 10K!  Ack, I'm getting nervous.  I'm going to try for 1:08 (10:59 pace), so I PR.

Finally hitting my stride transistioning from shorter races/trainging in early summer to Marathon plan.  In week # 2 of 13 and should get milage above 40 mpw finally ... plan is to build into the around 55 MPW and will be a heck of a lot more miles than spring cycle when always playing catchup.

Have 10 mile race 8/16 and nice thing is just ran an "Easy"/"Medium"  10 mile run this morning 3 minutes faster than my 1:36:19 race time last year.  Nice to have easy runs faster than what you used to race at your maximum less than 365 days ago.  Hope to get maybe a 1:17:30 - 7:45 pace  and close to a 20 minute reduction in time, then use as baraometer for 9/13 half marathon; If could than extend that pace to the half I would be looking at 1:41:30 ... oh so close to sub 1:40 (7 more seconds per mile??).  original 2009 goal was sub 2:00 and I have 1:55 and should be no brainer at < 1:50 and dissapointed if not < 1:45....Its now that damn sub 1:40 thread

Last year ran these 2 races and did the 10 miler in 9:36 pace and half 3 weeks later in 9:30 pace; and that was ehen I was extending max distances for both races.  For 10 miler i think never ran more than 9 miles and for the half maybe 11.5 was max run prior to race.  So this year have the legs for distance as should be at 20 mile runs before these races.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Hope to get maybe a 1:17:30 - 7:45 pace  and close to a 20 minute reduction in time

Wow, that's impressive. Good luck!

Good luck in the 10K Teresa! which one are you doing?

I've pushed back my goal race from 9/19 (Bar Harbor HM) to 10/18 (Valley Harvest Nova Scotia). I'm trying to get back on schedule after traveling/ job interviews.

The funny thing is that after the low running break I'm a bit faster - 11:30m/m for long runs, and I can maintain 10:15 (tempo for me) for 4 miles with zippy RP once a week w/o feeling too bad. I think I've lost a couple of pounds as well.

I'm hoping that by September things will settle down and I can look around for a 10K  to establish a potential HM pace. Earlier I wanted to go for 2:15:00. Hmmm...

A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Ayola!  DS, my running partner, and I are doing the Beach to Beacon.  We ran the course last Saturday and it went OK.  Good luck with your training!

Beginner all over again

I enjoy reading your run reports.

July ended with my longest LongRun 70 minutes.

My Goal Race is still 9 months away so I'm just trying to build base.

Larry, you have really been doing some fast running recently!

Teresa, my son went to visit another campus today, McMaster University in Hamilton, and has a very positive impression of their graduate maths programme. He is interested in something called set theory, apparently there are not too many places with well-known set theorists on faculty. Good luck to your son (and his parents!) in making the decision!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Larry, you have really been doing some fast running recently!

Simon.

Simon, it's kind of deceiving because I've been incorporating a lot of speedwork the past couple of weeks with running 1/2 M intervals, but lumping them together for one run, so it makes it look really fast.  Also been doing more shorter runs and no longs, so that makes the pace faster as well.

In reality, my speed is where I want to be, but my endurance has really been down. It may be due to the increase in humidity, but the summer humidity doesn't usually effect me like this.  I have a key 5K this Sunday which I was hoping to PR in, but not feeling like it's going to happen and now they are predicting 90 degree temps with high humidity.  I'm still going to give it a shot any way. 

Then next week, cut it down a bit and maybe even cut back a day for a few weeks to see if my energy level picks back up a bit.  I'm suppose to run a half the end of Sept and I haven't done a long run weeks, so maybe the cut back next week will be to cut a day out, but get back to getting a long run in.  After Sunday's race, I have nothing else planned until the half, but may pick something up on the spur of the moment.

LPH

LPH