Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainiers - July 09 (Read 616 times)

5K Race Report

Well, didn't PR the course today.  As they predictated, it was hot and humid by race time. 

Just never really felt like I got into my stride this morning, but my miles were much more consistent than last year and previous years and I had a shot at it if I had gotten into stride and finished the last mile strong like I normally do. 

So I ran a 21:40 (7:00 pace) which is 14 seconds slower than last year which was a 6:55 pace

My mile times were 7:02  6:56 (with the steep hill) and 7:40 1.1 (7:00 pace) where as I usually finish around a 6:40 pace. 

No regrets, I knew al of the conditions, mentally, physically and weather had to be there to do it.  I'm going to take a shot at it on Oct 3rd on a course that I usually run about the same time on (but didn't run it last year)

LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Excellent race for the conditions, Larry.

(I would be very happy to break 22 minutes.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Update- ran my 5k this morning-22:08. Close but not quite!

Simon, so close, a lousy 8 seconds.  How big of a race was it, were you buried in a pack?  What were the race conditions like. 

I finally decided to take a break from the humidity and took four days off, Thursday-Sunday.  I had to stop and walk during a 6.5 miler last Wednesday and I just said that's enough. 

Humidity broke a bit yesterday and ran a comfortable 5M last night.  Humidity is suppose to still be down tonight, so I'll do 6 or 6.5 (depends on which running path I decide to take).  Then plan on taking tomorrow off. 

Kind of changing my routine up a little bit, going to try to Run Mon &Tues, take Wed off.  Run Thurs and Sat and take Fri and Sun off for a few weeks and see if my energy level improves as the weather starts changing. 

LPH

LPH

Larry it was a very small race to benefit a local high school- there were about 100 runners and walkers.

I came 40th., I think 10-12 runners were sub 18 minutes, some of them high school track kids, some members of local running clubs.

The time was gun time so maybe the chip was a couple of seconds quicker, and if the humidity had been lower I might have saved a few more seconds. Anyway, the potenrtial seems to be there, just gotta find another 5k this fall and run some intervals!

McMillan shows this 5k time equivalent to 1:42:19 in the half and I want to break 1:40 so it will be close, but the weather will be cooler in October, I am better trained for the longer distance, and although there is one big hill the course is net downhill, whereas the 5k was a loop. Bottom line is I think I can do it. 

Larry, my next target in the 5k will be 21:42, to get under 7/mile, as you did! Those few seconds are tough to get, though, you did really well to make that time on a course with a hill. I think the aging tables show we are slowing down about 1% per year, which would be 13 seconds- not much comfort?

Simon.

Simon, Well, I don't necessarily agree with the calculators, although I think they're okay for a rough idea.  I've known people who could run at 8 minute pace for hours, but couldn't run much faster than that for a 5K. 

What do you wear for running shoes in your 5Ks?  I have one pair of lightweight shoes that I basically only wear for 5K,  5M and 10K races .  My son turned me on to getting lightweights for racing.  Might be a bunch of "BULL", but if you think about how many steps you take in a 5K.  Let's assume your gate is similar to mine and is approximately 3 feet (one yard).  That would = approximately 6000 steps in a 5K.  If your running shoes were 8 oz lighter, that would = over 3000 lbs less weight you just carried and swung like a peddelum from the bottom up. 

What do you do for speedwork?  I don't do as much as I should and didn't really start any speedwork this year until about Jul, but I do half mile intervals, setting a time for each 1/4 mile (which helps me with pacing) 

Then after my half mile, I walk for 1-2 minutes (depending on the speed I just ran) and repeat.  Typically, I aim for 2-3 miles which is 4-6 repeats.  Each interval, I try to pick up the pace and try to finish my last set close to 3:00 halfs (1:30 Qtrs).  This seems to be the top speed for me, although I have broken 1:30 qtrs a few times. 

I think in order for me to get much faster, I have to next start doing 100M sprints. Maybe next year!

As for the aging tables, I don't buy into them either.  Last year, I PR'd in the 5K and 5M.  This Yr I PR'd in the HM, missed the 5k by a little and haven't run a 5 miler yet.  I still have another shot at the 5K and will take a shot at the 10K in Nov.  But If I fail, then I'll just blame it onthe aging. 

Larrry

LPH

I have been using a lightweight trainer, the Nike Elite, for racing, and speedwork. I have thought about getting the lighter Mizunos this fall but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a true racing flat like Adizeros for the occasional race. I do agree with your reasoning, and I feel there is a psychological benefit as well.

My recent speedwork has been directed towards the half, so tempos as opposed to intervals, no doubt I could have picked up a few seconds doing 400s on a regular basis for a few weeks. Perhaps even wearing a singlet instead of a shirt with sleeves flapping in the wind would make a difference in a longer race. I am trying to improve my form on my training runs by keeping my elbows tucked in, the left elbow especially flaps out wide of my hip- I must look like a seagull going for a french fry!

Cooler weather is nice, had a nice run last night.

Simon, I agree with you on spending a lot of cash on really good racing flats for a hand ful of races.  I mean it's not like we're running 5 minute miles or something as well. 

Weather here yesterday was "RAINY" all day from Tropical Strom Danny going up the coast, so I ended up doing a threadmill owrkout instead.  Otherwise, I had a much better week running since the humidity went down.  Did my Hilly course on Wednesday (5.4M) and I think it's the first time this year, that I didn't have to stop and walk part of the last hill (1/4 miler) which ends just about the 5M mark. 

I'm planning on going out and doing at least 10 today, even if I have to walk part of it, as I've got to get my miles back up for a HM at the end of Sept. 

Because of the holiday weekend coming next week, I'm propbably going to have to shift my schedule again this week and do what I was trying to avoid which is not run more than 2 days in a row.  We'll see. 

So what races do you have coming up?

I was suppose to run a local HM (which is part of my long run training course) on Sept 26, but have to be in New Hampshire for a Wedding on the 25th.  So I happen to find a race real close to there, the NH Applefest.  So that's what I'm now aiming for on the Sept 26th.  Unfortunately, that is 8 days before the 5K race that I want to PR at, so that might prove a challenge as well.  Oher than that, nothing positively planned until Thanksgiving day 10K, but I'll probably look for one or two to squeeze in.

Larry

LPH

We had really cool weather today, only 62 degrees (16C) in August! Unbelievable!

I had an absolutely great long run, the weather makes such a difference, ran 27kms, which is a bit less than 17 miles, the last 10k in 51:09 for a fast finish. Time for the whole run was 2:25, and I really felt good.

My half is on October 18th. the Goodlife Toronto half, run with the marathon, which my son entered. He is running really well, did a 26 mile training run over the worst hills you have seen in 3:50 last Sunday! The kid is built like a weightlifter, not a runner, but he goes up hills as if they were not even there, his calves are twice the size of mine.I am planning to do more runs in September, and more of it quality  work, not necessarily more miles. A "sharpening" period.

That applefest sounds like fun, I love cider (what you would call hard cider, not apple juice). There are about 4 or 5 kinds we can buy here in the Toronto are, mostly made in England. It would be better if your 5k was before the half instead of the other way round!

We seem to be the only two posting!

hey Simon, You know what, before going to the HM thread, I was thinking exactly that, that lately we are the only two here.  I miss the old groupies and haven't heard from Teresa in awhile and how her son is doing starting his critical senior year. 

I mean, we really know the group os dying when no one has started a new thread/ 

I did 10.5 miles today, but did take a little walk break after finishing the loop at the 8.5M mark.  Times up to there were better than before, but my legs were tiring.  However, it was a great boost to my ego to raise my MOJO that I can be ready for the Applefest.  Todays run is 8-9 hills, none of which are steep, but at lelast three are 1/4M or more. 

Yeah, I wish the races worked out different that the 5K was before the HM, but what can you do, other than go out and give it a try...

Larry

LPH

jules2

Hi to the dynamic duo, yes its been a bit slow on here.

I haven't posted because I've not ran much due to a combination of injury / illness / personal circumstances but they are behind me now and I have one more realistic chance of a lifetime PB in the half ( sub 1:29:25 ) this year on the 11th October.

Earlier in the year there seemed to beso much promise and I still broke my lifetime PB for a 10k in May despite a lack of training.  I suppose if it was easy and there were no setbacks it wouldn't be worth doing.

There is another one in December but its a bit steep to say the least.

Between now and the 11th I have a 10 mile road race next weekend and a 20 mile fell race on the 26th, the fell race could be a laugh considering the lack of distance work I think my time will be based on HTFU.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Sometimes a rest is a good thing, jules!

Glad to hear from you again, how are things in Leicester? I found a map with aerial photos of my old street, wakerly Rd., where I lived until the age of 6, but did not recognise any landmarks. I fancy the prices of those semis has risen a bit since my parents lived there in the mid 1950's!

I am officially undertaking to start a new thread for September-tomorrow...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, guys!  I'm still here.  Running going OK, but with ups and downs.  We've had a lot of out-of-state company that's kept me hopping!  My HM is coming up in about five weeks.

DS is talking to coaches and writing college essays.  The coach at Rice said he would get a small scholarship there.  It's a Division I school, so they will fly him down there for a visit.  Next weekend, he's going on his first "official" visit, to Susquehanna.  Then we'll stop by Muhlenberg on the way back.  Over 1,000 miles of driving, whoo hoo.  On September 19, he'll have another official visit to Amherst. Washington University (St. Louis) is November 5.  Have to also figure out a time for Emory and Rhodes.  I told DS to get several Planned Absence Forms from his school office!  As in, "I'll be gone from September 2 to December 1!"  Yikes.

Hello Jules and Teresa, great to hear from you.  Simon and I were getting a bit lonely....

I just got some bad news.  I went to sign up for the HM I was planning on in NH on 9/26 and it's sold out already.  That really sucks.

Jules, sorry to hear you've had your share of ups and downs, it sounds like you've got a handle on them and starting to bounce back.  Good luck wiht those PBs. 

Teresa, busy time of the year for DS and he has to manage to keep up with his training and meets as well.  Not easy to do, but he's got a great mom to help balance it all out.  What's the HM that you're running?  Maybe I'll come up to Maine and run that one, as long as it's not between 10/12 and 10/20, as I'll be in Florida. 

I've got to go and spend the rest of my lunch checking out HMs in the area.  But seriously Teresa, what is the one you're running, where and when is it? 

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, my HM is on October 4 in Hampton, NH.  Here is the link:

http://www.locorunning.com/hamptonhalf-rf.php

John A, who posts on the main boards a lot, told me about it, and he will be running it as well.  He said it's pretty flat and a lot of fun.  My running partner is going to volunteer at it.  It would be great if you could make it!