Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid racer - June 1 (Read 18 times)

redleaf

Hey MT, you forgot one this weekend Wink

Good luck! And THANK YOU

June 1, 2014 milktruck Covered Bridges Half Marathon 13.1 miles Woodstock, VT sub- 1:40  

goal race for season

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Good luck!

Good luck!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

Thanks folks. I'm safely settled in my hotel in Hannover NH next to the Dartmouth campus, about 20 minutes drive from the race start. This course is the layout to run a PR half...but I'm not in shape to try, despite plans when I signed up.

I've spent the last few weeks thinking about what advice I'd offer to anyone else -- which would be 100% to worry about showing up as healthy and healed as possible and ignore planned training-- and ignoring it to try and get to my May monthly mileage goal. I'm a moron.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

milktruck- Hope you have a good race, no matter how silly your pre-race mileage goal would have been.  You've had some excellent races already this spring!

Running like love can make us do silly things...

Good luck out there MT

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

Posted a 1:42:07 in yesterday’s Covered Bridges Half. Not what I wanted a few months ago when I had the goal of 1:38+ change in mind; but I’m completely at peace with the result – it was what the day called for given the hamstring and piriformis issues I’ve been working against recently…

Quick summary of random thoughts:

- This is a fantastic half marathon course. Certainly in the top 3 of the 20 (+/-) courses I’ve run. It flows well…there are challenging sections; there are easy sections; there are sections of crowd tunnels; there are open rural sections where all you hear is the footfalls of the runners; it’s real good.

- From about mile 5 to 10 I ran along / behind / near / ahead of a young woman who had the easiest, smoothest, no-effort running stride I’ve ever seen. I have a feeling she was on something of a training run, because when she clicked the “on” switch at about mile 11, she was gone.

- When a race is well organized, it really makes a difference…takes a lot of stress out of things. This race is point-to-point in 3 small VT towns over rural roads, they have to bus you to the start at a ski area and they have it d-o-w-n. Great bib pickup, baggage buses, perfectly marked and marshalled course, water stops every 2 miles exactly, signs on course announcing upcoming porta potties. The cow patties in the finish area were the only potential negative.

- Weather was warm at the end, rising to about 75F, but nice and cool at the start…whew!

- Even though it’s a small race (1800 runners), the start is really crowded because it is on a narrow country road. I wish runners who are going out in a group of friends would be more considerate and not start out 3 or 4 wide.

- I started too far back (see above).

- I ran about 23:30 for the last 5KM…so I had some good leg endurance, I was limited in the last splits by not want to push growing hamstring tightness into anything worse.

This race fills in about 10min after registration opens each year. I’ll be standing by at the ready to try and get back in next year!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Wow MT that does sound great. I seem to be acquiring more US states than Canadian provinces... maybe I'll add Vermont to that list Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cyberic

Completely at peace with the result. That's perfect.