SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

Joe1775

Got off work at 4pm yesterday. I was out the door running by 4:15. Yeah, I was ready to go.

I have a fun yet tough route I like to do heading up the Allegheny Passage Trail. It's a gradual climb up on a rails to trails course gaining about 1200' over 15.5 miles. I live 2 miles away and jog over to the trail head and up I go.

As it was getting dark from the start I had the trail to myself. Nothing but the sound of my feet on the crushed stone and my easy breathing to pace me along. Very rhythmic and peaceful. The twilight offered visibility until about mile 7 of this run, then on came the headlamp.

I love running by headlamp. It really focuses things to a simple point. My light is more than bright enough, and the trail is well enough graded that I have no worries running like this. No cars, no rocks or logs, just me and my 2 feet.

There are a few great spots where I could see out over the valley beside the trail, and the Christmas lights were spectacular. I was glad for the smoothness of the trail as I was running with my head turned looking for long periods enjoying the views.

Around mile 13 I started to hear this "plinking" sound. Oh no! Rain! It was 0% chance of rain! What!! On it came though. No too hard, but with temps at 40F and being unexpected it surely was not welcome. A friend of mine told me that when things get tough, just say Sh**. So, every 4th step I said sh**. Up the trail I went, sh**....sh**....sh***... for about 2 miles, then the rain stopped. I guess sh** really did help. Ha!

I hit the finish spot at the old train depot just down the hill from the town of Frostburg. It was festively decorated for a party. Then I heard the train coming up behind me. They run the old steam engine between the towns as a tourist attraction, and were doing an evening Christmas lights ride up. The tracks are right beside the trail I came up on, and I was glad to have just missed it. Steam engines are beautiful, but this particular train has spewed ash and junk on me more than once while I've run on this trail and I am glad to have missed it this time.

I called my wife who then departed to come meet me with a change of clothes. I stretched and cooled down, then walked up to our favorite Mexican place. We enjoyed a tasty dinner, and I a tasty beverage and the end to a wonderful day.

Bad Ass

Morning. At the race. Migraine and nausea, ugh. Joe, that sounds...eventful.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning all. I'm up early to keep my streak going. 6 miles and then 6x8sec hill sprints once I get out the door. I probably won't be around later as I'm spending the day out with my mom for my birthday: movie, aquarium, dinner. Hope you all have nice days. COMPETETIVE CHIC...a new road bike would be exciting. Im riding a tri bike now and hoping for an ironman next year. JOE...sounds like a perfect run for you. It is an experience when it's just you, your feet, and your thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed it. DOCKET...I hope hope you feel better. Good luck racing!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jojo61397

Joe-- that sounds so peaceful though, even with the rain.

Docket-- feel better, you got a race to do!

SIAR-- have fun Smile.

I'm up early because I'm so used to getting up at 5:00 AM, I don't get to sleep in much on the weekends.  Going to run 10 miles as soon as there is a little bit of light out.  It's already 60 degrees, so it should be a warm one.  After the run, the kids are at RE, I think I'll wrap presents, then church then a relaxing day at home-- the opposite of yesterday.

Tuesday is my last 20 miler, so taper madness in Minnesota here I come.  What do you think the "minimum" I could get away with is and not worry about losing fitness.  I was hoping if I could just average an hour of running a day.  I'm hoping to go cross country skiing some.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
            Sub- 1:45 hour half.

CompetitiveChik

Hey All,

I was gonna go riding this morning but the storm put a stop to that. So I'll do weights and ab ripper x isntead.

joe - that sounds really nice. I'll be starting trail running after woodlands in march. I'm gonna sign up for a 50miler. Just haven't picked which one yet. I would also love to do an out of state full so I"m gonna watch the finances closely this next yr.

siar - I was gonna sign up for IMTX, it's in March but I never did. First the price is what stopped me. That's a HUGE chunk of change. Secondly, I have to get past my fear of water. we have DU's here, 2x a yr. Once if feb and the other in oct/nov. I wish we had more and that the distance was a little longer. 

jojo - sounds like you have a fun day planned. as for your last long run I would say, no less than 18 but really try for the 20. 

docket - ugh, hopefully all that doesn't get in the way of your race. Good luck out there.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Finally PRed!!!

Joe: too funny, I have used that mantra in similar ways before. Glad you had a great run and nice dinner with your wife.

DR: wow, that does not sound fun, feel better soon,hope the race went well.

SIAR: happy birthday! Sounds like you have a great one planned, have  fun.

jojo: have a nice run. Average of  an hour a day sounds, pretty good, I can't remember if you're going to be in MN the whole taper. If so then squeezing in at least one of 90 min or so somewhere would be good, I know Pfitz talks about importance of somewhat longer runs in taper to maintain adaptations built up in LRs. 

I think I'll head out for 12 or so after a little while. Hope everyone has a great day!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

17 LR on tap for me. I may drive 5 miles to get to the bigger hills.

CompetitiveChic - Very cool re the bike! I'd like to get one sometime. 

Joe - Awesome run. Would love the lights and the train. I enjoy headlamp runs too... and also bright moonlit nights in which I can turn off the headlamp. 

Docket - So sorry and sure hope you feel better.

SIAR - Hope the run goes well.

Jojo - For reducing the time involved, I'd cut the miles but keep the intensity up... if you do intervals in a schedule, still do them, but cut a 9 miler to a 6, etc. The intensity will be a big part of keeping sharp, but for the miles, most of the work is done by now.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Joe, it was sounding like a beautiful run until the rain part.  I may have to try the s*** mantra sometime.  LOL!

Recovery runs planned for the day - 6 in the am and 4 in the pm.  I was planning to do the morning run with my running group but overslept.  Hoping to get out the door in the next hour or so.  I've decided to color my hair first. 

ETA:  Happy Birthday, SIAR

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

CompetitiveChik

got in some ab ripper x and weights. also did some foam rollin

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

Morning!  Happy birthday, SIAR!

I didn't feel better but I still PR'd!  2+ minute PR, although not the one I know I am capable of.  It was just too humid, hot, and the last two miles were uphill.  Still, a strong, albuterol free race.

Nobody is racing for the rest of December except me?  Sniff!

Blog

Just Keep "Tri" ing

Another quick drive by today.....I'm sorry I just had time to skim really quickly and no time for the posts from

earlier in the week..............will probably be like that until after the holidays.......just too little time for

on-line time with too much to do IRL ....... family/Christmas/major bathroom remodel and running. 

Plus you would think with building our own houses and remodeling so many rooms in the last few years I

would have remembered what a bloody mess it makes in your entire house, not just the room you are renovating..

....the ensuite bathroom is off our bedroom on the 2nd floor and the workshop is in the basement 2 floors down so

everything gets dragged in between and  it seems every room in the house gets some form of dirt and dust spread

around.........so now I"m constantly cleaning/dusting around all the Christmas decorations.

Hubby and I are doing our long run later this afternoon, normally on Sunday it would be in the morning but

we have been working on installing the wall tile in the shower stall,,,,,,,,not something you can easily stop

once you start!

I've also spent a fair amount of time this weekend crying......I just cannot help it..........Newtown CT is a town just

like mine, 20,000 people everyone knows everyone,  a very tight knit picturesque town , my boys went to an

elementary school of the same size, same # of students, same caring teachers and like Sandy Hook people

move to our neighbourhood so that their kids can attend that school because of it's reputation of excellence and

amazing teachers...........my heart is just about ripped out thinking of those 20 little angels and their families

Congrats CC on your race. Sorry it wasn't the time you wanted and kudos to you for helping for fellow runner!

SIAR, Happy Birthday to my fellow December birthday/running pal!!

Congrats D.R.! Racing the last 2 weeks of December! I wish! no time for that and pretty darn cold to boot!LOL

Joe, sounds like a beautiful run! Those climbs are pretty much my normal gains on the routes around my

house!LOL

Hi to everyone else!!!!  Hubby is calling and since this was all my idea and  I'm chief holder so I better get up there!!

Probably better than we waited anyway, it was5F this morning and is now a balmy 12!!

Have a good one folks!!

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

Damaris--2 minute PR on a 5 miler?  Wow!

Too much food, too much beer, and not getting home until 11:00 last night caused me to sleep in this morning.  That, and it was 7 degrees.  So, I brought my clothes to work and will run home with a side trip to Canada.  Need to keep the streak going, also.  It'll be dark but I am going to keep it to 5-6.

Bad Ass

Well, the last PR was soft.  But yes, I'm very happy!

Blog

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Congratulations on the PR, Docket_Rocket.  I'm toying with the idea of doing a race on New Year's Eve.  I figure it'll keep me out of trouble this year. Wink  So, you might have some December company.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin