Marathoner Dailies

Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon Race Report (Read 24 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Archived by author.  See training log.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Bad Ass

Congrats on the first master placing!  That is awesome.  Even if not a PR, you did great as usual.  Like your avatar says, you are on fire!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Congrats on the first master placing!  That is awesome.  Even if not a PR, you did great as usual.  Like your avatar says, you are on fire!

Thanks, D_R!  It's funny because I'm not setting PRs but I'm collecting so much hardware this spring.  I'm so flattered by my new title.  I feel like having a t-shirt made or something.  LOL!

Bad Ass

Remember the weather will affect your pace until the Fall which could be why you have not PRd, so maybe keep concentrating on running your best on that day and collecting hardware?  That would be awesome!

Thanks, D_R!  It's funny because I'm not setting PRs but I'm collecting so much hardware this spring.  I'm so flattered by my new title.  I feel like having a t-shirt made or something.  LOL!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Remember the weather will affect your pace until the Fall which could be why you have not PRd, so maybe keep concentrating on running your best on that day and collecting hardware?  That would be awesome!

Thanks!  That's very good advice.  All we can do is run our best.

BruceD555

Awesome race and congratulations on the 1st place female master! I loved your opening remarks that "a half marathon is a long way" because I think the exact same thing for EVERY distance I've raced ... from 10k to FM. I guess it's just that any distance run run at peak pace is a long way to go. Nice work on staying tough through the park loop and not just going into coast-mode and relaxing.

BTW, you are fast ... and not just because of the hardware win today. (Now you also have a target on your back for the next 364 days as women try to pick of the best master female.)

I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life. - Phil Connors 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Very cool Julia!  It sounds like you've really achieved quite the cult following around there, and with the kind of results you've been getting you deserve it.  The fact that you've raced so frequently and have continued to finish so high is really impressive.  I can't do that.  It's funny, I can almost see the fight in your splits...like you wanted to slow down, but then would just keep bouncing back with strong miles.  Does the state champ status qualify you for any sort of national race?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Atta Girl Julia!

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Bruce, It so true that at a given pace, they all seem long.  LOL!  And, I'm hoping I'll still look 28 years old for a while and no one will suspect I'm actually a master's runner.  Wink

SIAR, The fame is kinda weird.  It's flattering but I'm really more of an introvert so I don't know quite what to say to strangers that approach me...  I don't know that being the state champ means anything but I am expecting a call from the Governor any time now...

Jaybar, Thanks!  I'm glad I went with the orange nails.  Wink

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Bruce, It so true that at a given pace, they all seem long.  LOL!  And, I'm hoping I'll still look 28 years old for a while and no one will suspect I'm actually a master's runner.  Wink

SIAR, The fame is kinda weird.  It's flattering but I'm really more of an introvert so I don't know quite what to say to strangers that approach me...  I don't know that being the state champ means anything but I am expecting a call from the Governor any time now...

Jaybar, Thanks!  I'm glad I went with the orange nails.  Wink

Ha, the governor. You're in DC girl, think BIG!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

fake it till you make it

Is it too soon to start singing Queen's "We are the Champions" every time I see Julia's avatar? Wink

Congrats on earning the state master's champ title.  I love reading about your race strategy- racing for place instead of time sure is a different ballgame altogether.  Very nicely done!  Hope you are doing something nice to celebrate.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

JenRosie, I just bought "We Are the Champions" on iTunes.  Of course, as I sing it, I'm changing all the "we"s to "I"s.  Smile

SIAR, Hahaha.  My plan is to carry this coaster with me every time I go out and hope some bartender is impressed enough to give me a free drink.  Wink

Julia--thanks for the RR and a big congratulations on your win. And, yes, you are fast!