Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 4/8/13 (Read 14 times)

Has Broken Parts

Just got back from 10 miles that felt like 20. I haven't been running much the last few weeks and the temperature was about 25 degrees higher than when I ran yesterday morning.  Typical DC weather pattern for spring: too cold, too cold, too cold, HOT!  My legs felt like lead but at least the scenery was nice.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey all.  I think my body is messing with me right now.  I'm trying not to freak out, but it's getting hard.  I swore the legs I was running on today weren't mine.  I felt like I didn't even know what my stride was anymore.  On top of that, I now have this weird pain on the very top of my calf/behind my knee.  It's almost like a pulled a muscle, but I know I didn't.  Who knows!

ETA  Oh, I forgot, my run was 7.65 miles with 8x10sec hill sprints.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I got a short run in during my lunch break.  I spent most of the time dodging tourists so it wasn't very relaxing.  My legs feel good.  Only lingering pain is in my right Achilles.  I'm supposed to run a 5K on Friday.  I hope I feel up to it.

Scott, I was thinking this morning that we never get spring around here.  Maybe a week but it always seems to go from cold to hot in an instant.  But, I immediately thought I shouldn't complain considering how much moaning I did about how cold it's been.

Marco, I like your Boston plans - eating, drinking and PRing.  hate coming back from vacation to all the work that didn't get done.  Hope you had a productive day.

RVD, It looks like you had a strong weekend of running.  Enjoy the new kicks!

JoJo and D_R, Hope you both had good workouts today.

HillTopper, Nice job with the consistent mileage.  And, thanks for the congrats on the race yesterday.

SIAR, It'll probably take a few runs before everything feels right again.  Give it a few more days...  Who are you picking in the game tonight?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...glad you got some miles in, although the tourist dodging sounds annoying?  You have a 5k coming up?  Wow, that's a lot of race...although it does sound fun.  I hope you're right that I'll feel better in a couple days.  I have to, right?  I mean I'm totally trained for this, I can't just fall apart.  Right?!??  As for the game, I'm going to go with Michigan since I picked them in my initial bracket.  I don't really like Pitino either, so it's not too hard for me to root against Louisville.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Julia...glad you got some miles in, although the tourist dodging sounds annoying?  You have a 5k coming up?  Wow, that's a lot of race...although it does sound fun.  I hope you're right that I'll feel better in a couple days.  I have to, right?  I mean I'm totally trained for this, I can't just fall apart.  Right?!??  As for the game, I'm going to go with Michigan since I picked them in my initial bracket.  I don't really like Pitino either, so it's not too hard for me to root against Louisville.

I shouldn't complain about the tourists either.  We like their money.  Smile  But, they tend to do things like walk 3 and 4 abreast down the street, stop abruptly, and/or flag you down to ask for directions to things that are right in front of them.  I had my headphones so I was able to ignore the woman trying to get my attention to ask me something.  Evil ...  Yes, I was planning to do a couple of Friday evening 5Ks.  This week is for fun but I might ask one of the fast guys in my running club to pace me for sub-20 next week...  Yes, you'll feel better.  This is why I don't like off days.  I always feel like you're feeling now when I start running again and it messes with my head.  You'll feel fine in a couple days...  I was planning to root for Louisville because of the Kevin Ware thing but forgot about the not liking Pitino part.  That's a toughie.  I think I'll still go for Louisville.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

That leg injury was hard to watch.  I think he's fortunate not to have had ACL type damage on top of it too.  It's amazing how just a seemingly innocuous jump could cause that much damage.

I agree about the rest days, especially when you've been running consecutively for so long.  I think it's different if you're used to the rest days as part of your schedule though.  I probably should have just run even though I was feeling sick.  At least there's still time for me to get it back together.

I hate being asked for directions on my runs.  Half the time I give wrong information, unintentionally of course...then when I finally realize what I've told them I have a good chuckle about it.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I hate being asked for directions on my runs.  Half the time I give wrong information, unintentionally of course...then when I finally realize what I've told them I have a good chuckle about it.

One of my favorites was about 2 years ago.  I was running to work - so I had probably been out for over 2 hours - on a bitter cold, rainy day.  I'm miserable.  Two tourists in big puffy down coats and umbrellas stop me to ask where they should have lunch.  I wanted to mug them.  Instead, I made a couple of suggestions.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

One of my favorites was about 2 years ago.  I was running to work - so I had probably been out for over 2 hours - on a bitter cold, rainy day.  I'm miserable.  Two tourists in big puffy down coats and umbrellas stop me to ask where they should have lunch.  I wanted to mug them.  Instead, I made a couple of suggestions.

Haha. Suggestions? Did you recommend the bottom of the Potomac?

Finally PRed!!!

marco: Nice 7.5. Sounds like you'll have a great race in Boston.

RVD: Glad you are out of your funk and getting good runs in.

jojo: Hope the Cross-fit and running went well.

Docket: Hope you had a nice 5.

hill: Great job with the weekly mileage. Glad you feel better than expected, too.

Julia: In Berlin I occasionally had tourists flag me down while I was running to ask me to take their picture, so I can understand where you're coming from. I got asked for directions a lot, too. Glad your legs felt good on the run.

Scott: Nice job getting 10 in, even if it felt tough. Our temps just got a lot warmer, too. I waited until after 7 pm to go running but it was still my warmest run of the year.

SIAR: I'm sure you'll feel better in a few days-- some of the weirdness probably is just from starting up again after the days off. But plenty of time to get back in your groove

Hi everyone! I got in 5.5 recovery miles this evening. I didn't feel like heading out, and almost talked myself out of doing it, because I still feel crappy with this cold, but I did feel better by the end and ended up being glad I went.

Now I just have a ton to do still, since I didn't get as much done yesterday as I needed to.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...hope you feel better as well. Being sick just isn't for runners. I'm glad you got a run in at least.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

SIAR, Michigan looks good!  My championship mojo may have run its course...  I'm nice to tourists.  It's like they can smell the nicest miles away and seek me out.  If I recall, I suggested a couple of places, described the food, and roughly how expensive each one was.

Swift, Ugh, hope you feel better.  It's rough running when you're sick.

Bad Ass

I see my iPod comes in handy....

That leg injury was hard to watch.  I think he's fortunate not to have had ACL type damage on top of it too.  It's amazing how just a seemingly innocuous jump could cause that much damage.

I agree about the rest days, especially when you've been running consecutively for so long.  I think it's different if you're used to the rest days as part of your schedule though.  I probably should have just run even though I was feeling sick.  At least there's still time for me to get it back together.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Has Broken Parts

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday.  She would have been 80.  This pic is of her and my son when he was little.  I miss her very much.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

jojo61397

OMG I DO TOO!  I get asked for directions all the time.  Mostly from snow birds and tourists.  I just say, I'm military and here TDY, I don't know where anything is.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                              Sub- 1:45 hour half.

jojo61397

I'm just having a bad day.  Drinking wine and making chili.  Now my friend for 20 years is complaining about her husband's trip to Chicago for 12 days, and how much these 12 days suck...

I just want to tell her, I'll take 12 of your worst days as a single parent sans death and dismemberment, you can have my 180 days.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                                Sub- 1:45 hour half.