Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 12/19/12 (Read 166 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good afternoon everyone.  Today was a fartlek run for me.  8.06 miles with 8x30sec at 3k pace done every half mile between miles 2.5 and 6.  I'm running again this evening with the running group, but that's just 5 miles.

Julia...Sounds like you've had a nice time with your coworkers lately between your lunch for them and then the happy hour.  I'm sure they love ya - runners are a loveable lot.  That's funny that your best friend brags about your times.  Really that's the perfect scenario though.  Everyone gets to know your times, and you don't have to be the jerk telling them how fast you are ha.  You're a little behind with the Christmas stuff huh?  I'm hoping to finish my wrapping today, although I may do a little extra shopping tomorrow.   Your family sounds pretty pretty typical of non-runners.  Runs around the neighborhood sure don't do a lot for weekly mileage!  What kind of changes to the tempo runs are you looking to make?

Docket...It's nice to see you getting a couple days off from running for a change.  I'm sure your body approves.  Enjoy the lunch today and have fun snuggling up with your coworkers at the tiny restaurant ha.

Jodi...I hope you have a great holiday and safe travels as well.  We'll miss ya.  Great job with your paces and weight loss lately. 

Mark...Good work with the MLR.  I just don't have the compulsion to round runs up to race distances, but I know a lot of people do.

Beth...Sorry for the TM miles you're going to be stuck doing.  I liked your idea that Julia's sister should be doing the cleaning...perfectly logical to me!  My runs are a lot like yours - most 8-10 milers have about 500-750 feet of gain in them.  If I didn't drive to my runs, the hill I live on would make that even worse.  I don't mind it though, I'm good at hills and I think it's good training too.

NotSwift...Thanks for the tip yesterday.  I finally got that figured out.  That's an interesting workout you're planning.  I don't think I'd end up with much variety in it, as 10secs slower than 10k would give me 6:36 and 10secs faster than MP would give me 6:42.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting and you're actually going faster than 10k pace and slower than MP pace, so 6:16 and 7:00 if I were doing it?  Regardless, it's going to be a tough workout!

Scott...That's half the fun of being a runner - weird looks from all over the place.  Good work getting the ice on right away, and hopefully between that and the rest day you're good to go.

CC...Great job toughing it out today.  Those character building runs are at least as important as any other type of training run, at least for me.

Pressing...I'm impressed that you got yourself a good workout in, and that you are apparently tougher than your coach!  She needs to suck it up lol.  Caroling huh?  I think I'd send folks scurrying with my voice.  I suppose if I was with that big of a group I could just mouth the words.  You moms and your loop runs are impressive.  I guess you just do what you have to do.

RV...8 weeks is a pretty fair amount in.  Are you liking what you are feeling and seeing so far?  Nice job with the TM miles today.  Good luck with that early run tomorrow too.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: maybe the paces would need to be tweaked for runners as good as you are. I have a lot more of a difference between my 10KP and MP. The article I got the idea from says 5-10 sec slower than 10KP, but he did suggest that was just a starting point example and can be tweaked to do the faster part faster and slower part slower. I'm going to try 10 sec slower than 10KP for first try, for me that's very close to my LT pace.

Here's the article I found the workout in (workout is described near end):

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/learn-pace-pro?page=single

So in the example the author uses, the paces used for the workout are 25 sec apart, and mine will be similar, I guess, have to guess a bit at what my MP is currently, but if I use the one based on my current VDOT, the paces for the workout are 22 sec apart based on last 10K.

I'll report how it goes.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

Also, I guess when I described it earlier, I did describe it backwards, the example in the article starts with the first  MP-10 segment first. Guess I'll try for 6 like suggested...

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SWIFT...thanks so much for sharing that awesome link. I didn't understand that the point of the workout was specifically to feel very small variants in your pacing when you described the workout. I was incorrectly thinking there should be a gap between the paces, but that's not the purpose at all. Do you find it tougher to sense variations in pace at race speeds compared to easy speeds? I think I mentioned a while ago that I really do - I can tell you when I'm running 8:30 v 8:00 so much easier than 6:30 v 6:00. This is exactly the workout to help with that! Make sure you let us know how it goes.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

RV...8 weeks is a pretty fair amount in.  Are you liking what you are feeling and seeing so far?  Nice job with the TM miles today.  Good luck with that early run tomorrow too.

I like it better than any other plan I've seen.  It has the usual long run on weekends, and short interval days and long interval days during the week with easy runs in between.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

RV...Fantastic. It's nice to feel like you have a plan that just really suits you. That's how I'm feeling about Brad Hudson right now (who I always accidentally call Hanson, btw).

PressingOn

Okay, back for personals finally.  I've been busy playing in the snow (which is now rain and gross) and wrapping presents.  I'm glad it's a rest day because even I would probably hit the tm today if I were running.  It's dumping rain and only about 34 degree's outside.  Brrr...

Julia - Always nice to get positive feedback from folks. 6 & 8 year olds ... if they are really into something they can never have enough of it. Their parents, yes, but not the kids. One year my ds asked for a bucket of Buzz Lightyear's. So, is there something they are super into? A cartoon character they like? Cute jammies with the character always go over well in my house. Crafts are also usually a big hit.

Damaris - How was the office party?

Jodi - Happy Holiday's to you! Hope you get it all done. I'm wrapping gifts today.

Beth - Mmm ... baking. Sorry about the tm necessity.

Swift - Hope the workout is one you like.

Scott - Yes, I bet you did look crazy to folks going outside to finish your run. I'm glad it felt better outdoors. I agree, sometimes the tm tweaks ya weird.

CC - Good job toughing it out for all 8 miles.  That's what makes you a tough cookie.

RV - Good job on the four miles.  I too am glad you have a plan you like.

Markrice - I hadn't done caroling ever either. It was an idea my friend had. She felt like bringing some Christmas cheer via kids after the CT happening.

SIAR - Another double. Good job. I take it you're enjoying your group runs. As for my coach, yeah, she fully admits she doesn't like cold weather and I'm good for pulling her out in it. She'll be good for me in hot weather. I think she had more snow up her way so I'll give her a pass and she's right, speed work in slush is a slippery deal. As for caroling, in a large group it's hard to hear what other's are singing so the front half of the group was about 2 words ahead of the back half and we had several key's going on. As someone who actually can sing, it was a little frustrating because I knew we did not sound good. Lol! But, no one threw tomatoes at us and all seemed happy we stopped by.  It was fun.  

Okay, is that everyone today?  I'm back to work now.  Ugh.  My couch is covered in laundry and my floor is covered in wrapping paper and gift bags.  What a mess!

Bad Ass

The office party was nice.  Short, but nice.  We just had lunch and came back, haha.

I need to run today.  Lots of drama around lately to make me just want to run.

I did sign up for a 5K this weekend.  It's going to be in the 50s.  I'm itching to go fast.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

SIAR - Yeah... I do at times. Other times it's just not important. In reality, this morning I chose a favorite run that really does work out to about 13.1 or 13.2... But I do sometimes run extra for it... of course, at times I'll run another couple miles if I cooled down too much before stretching. But admittedly I'm a freak.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Sleepy in here this evening!  I got 5 more miles in with the running group tonight.  I have to say, I am so thrilled and happy with running right now.  I really think a lot of it just has to do with having the opportunity to run with other people every once in a while.  Being and feeling healthy also plays a big part too.  Tomorrow will be 11 miles, but just at recovery pace as I've had 3 really solid days of running.

Pressing...I guess we're finally going to be getting some of that white stuff by Friday.  If not, I'm going to have to ask you for a picture.  I can just imagine you secretly lamenting being out of tune as a group, but you also seem so nice I could never see you really voicing any displeasure.

Docket...Glad the party was a fun one and not too cramped.  Of course you're doing another 5k!  Smile  I can see why you're frustrated though, and hope it helps ya feel better.

Mark...Yeah, I doubt any of us really could be considered normal ha.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

CC, way to gut out the workout.  I hope you feel better.

Mark, there is a Toys R Us down the road from me.  This must be the worst time of year to venture there but I waited too too late.

SIAR, I'm going to tweak the tempo runs.  I posted aobut it in the 3:30 thread in the main forums.  I've done 3 cycles of Pfitz plans and I'm pretty sure I've never been able to hit 15K-Half pace over 5-7 miles in a workout.  Rather than trying again and potentially failing, I was thinking of doing them as cruise intervals.  So, I've been doing a lot of reading - Pftiz, Daniels, Hudson.  I don't have the Hanson book, though, so I'm not sure what he says about tempos.

Pressing, sorry about the weather woes but it sounds like you still got a quality workout in...  And, I'm thinking I may need to contact my SIL to figure out what the girls want.  Wink

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

It has snowed most of the day, which was all right since I didn't go anywhere.  However, we were without internet for most of the day and were without power periodically for a couple of hours.  I did 5.6 miles in the snow which would've been OK but my feet were soaked by about mile one.  At times I was running in icy puddles.  Still, I could have done more but had to shovel driveway so I could get out tomorrow morning.  Hope your day has been a good one.  Now, getting ready for bed but will go back and read today's posts.

Finally PRed!!!

Well, the alternating tempo went well, except for the faceplant. I was running the first MP-10 segment, a little over quarter mile in, when I glanced to the left, realizing I had meant to turn off to stay on the flatter path. Just then my right foot landed on a tiny piece of a tree branch, and it rolled under my foot (it was lying perpendicular to the direction I was going). Now I have a goose egg over my left eye, a sore left rib cage, and a scraped up left knee to match the right one, which was halfway healed from my last fall...so since I spent a few minutes trying to put my Garmin strap back  on, I just hit "lap" and restarted that MP-10  segment from the beginning

The workout did not seem really hard until near the end, by the end I was sure that I could not have done another set, did 3 sets of the two alternating paces, so 6 total of the "alternating tempo", and getting almost 11 miles for the run with the warmup/cooldown. Later on went to meet yet  another running group for close to 5. Ended up running these at a bit faster than (current estimated) MP also, then had pizza and beer with the group. By this time I could feel the swelling over my eye getting bigger. 

SIAR: yes, I do find it harder to judge paces at race paces, and in this workout I really needed the Garmin to find the correct  paces. I tended to run both the "fast" and "slow" sections too fast at first, and used the Garmin to find my way back to the correct paces. I did get the sense from this workout that my fitness is really improving pretty fast. So glad you  are really enjoying your running right now. I'm really enjoying  running these days, too (even if it did hurt a little today with my fall)!

Ok, gotta get some sleep! 'Night all! Here's a pic of my eye with the "egg" over it...

faceplant 1